Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible angle by Gardner there.

must not have thought it was hit that hard. Looked like the closer was warming up in the bullpen for texas on that last shot

I think they will let Lee go back out there, Just warming Neftali up just in case.

looks like Lee said I'm good to go out there. Damn haha

ballgame!

now I'm watching the FF matchup of Bridges vs JB/GG

moral victory for me j/k

Damn you dd! I was doing good until you spoke of it, now they're ahead! lol

Rangers score another 4-0.

edit: make it 6-0!

I hate when great games turn ugly at the end

Just think it could have been a 3-0 series lead for Texas if it wasnt for one inning.

could be, but instead its only 2-1. Plenty of series left.

Cliff Lee. Yankee-killer. Throwing yankee cryptonite balls. Were not worthy.

Rangers better go all out to sign this guy if theyre serious about winning with pitching.

If only the Mariners didn't back out of the trade with Yankees earlier in the year. Great pitching last night from both sides. Until the 9th that is.

I'm not a Yankees fan by any mean but I seriously doubt anyone will match the Yankees offer for him.

The Yankees have some stuff to deal with this offseason.

Jeter - we know they will overpay for him, don't see an issue with that
Rivera - negotiations weren't perfect last time, see how they are this time around
Pettite - to play or retire, seem to go through it every year
Wood - Pretty sure he will be gone to be a closer for someone, doubt they would offer him closer money
Joba - Bullpen or starter, it will be a topic again. If he starts then you need to get some more arms in the pen

Then you look at some free agents:
Cliff Lee - they are going to be big players for him
Carl Crawford - they will be players for him, not sure if they will be a big player though

I have no doubt that the Yankees will offer the biggest deal to Lee, the question is where he wants to be. He doesnt strike me as a big city guy. I wonder if Cashman is going to pick up the option on Wood?

found this on mlbtraderumors.com 11 mil for an 8th inning guy is a ton of money.

Kerry Wood signed a $20.5MM deal the last time he hit free agency, and though he isn't likely to sign for nearly as much this offseason, his stint in the Bronx has strengthened his free agent case. Wood arrived in New York after an injury-filled first half that saw him post a 6.30 ERA in 20 innings, but he has pitched better since joining the Yankees. It probably won't be enough for GM Brian Cashman to pick up the $11MM option the Yankees have for Wood in 2011, so the right-hander will likely be a free agent.

In 23 innings with his new team, Wood has allowed 13 walks and 13 hits with 26 strikeouts for a sparkling 0.39 ERA. His control is still suspect, but the strikeouts are there and Wood has been hard to hit. It was more than 12 years ago that Wood pitched his one-hit, 20 strikeout shutout, but the former first rounder is still just 33.

Wood projects to be a Type B free agent, which means he won't cost teams a draft pick, even if the Yankees offer arbitration. The Red Sox were interested in Wood at the trade deadline and though they may prioritize left-handed relievers this winter, they could have interest once again. The D'Backs, Angels and Blue Jays are among the many teams that could be looking for veteran right-handed relievers this offseason.

Wood's strong second half and history of dominant performances should interest multiple teams, but his history of elbow, shoulder and triceps injuries will likely make those clubs reluctant to commit for more than a season. A one-year deal worth $5-6MM seems like a reasonable target for Wood this winter.

Matt Cain with a real nice performance today. The Phillies have only 2 hits with runners in scoring position through 3 games. Down 2-1 in the series.

Looks like Melky Cabrerra was released today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back