Oahu, Hawaii golfing

alaskaguy2021

Reaction score
Handicap
Heading to Oahu in March and was looking for some input on course selection. I plan on playing two rounds. Played on Maui my whole life but never played on Oahu so I have no clue about the courses there. Would like to stay near Honolulu.

thanks!

If you are staying in Honolulu, you are going to have to drive at least 30 minutes to get to any of the better golf courses. Depends on what kind of course you are looking for and budget. There is a lot of golf on Oahu. What kind of courses you looking for?

I do like courses with a little terrain, but when golfing in Hawaii I really like having an ocean view while golfing. I saw that the Royal Hawaiian is good, but it is all jungle views which I'm not a fan of. I just booked rounds at Ko'Olina and Hawaii Kai since they looked fairly decent and not too far away. Also I just got done calling around and sounds like a lot of courses are aerating in March but still charging full rate, the two courses I have booked are not aerating until April.

I do like courses with a little terrain, but when golfing in Hawaii I really like having an ocean view while golfing. I saw that the Royal Hawaiian is good, but it is all jungle views which I'm not a fan of. I just booked rounds at Ko'Olina and Hawaii Kai since they looked fairly decent and not too far away. Also I just got done calling around and sounds like a lot of courses are aerating in March but still charging full rate, the two courses I have booked are not aerating until April.

Not a lot of courses with ocean views on Oahu. Ko Olina is a good resort course with good facilities. Yeah, Royal Hawaiian is a unique golf course, but not for everyone. It is in the jungle like Terminator, so that makes it interesting. Lol.

In my opinion, Turtle Bay is the best public course on Oahu and on the ocean, but it is pricey and a long drive. However, there are a lot of places to visit while driving up there like Haleiwa, Kahuku shrimp trucks, etc. Kahuku golf course is inexpensive, on the ocean, but it is a muni track. Hawaii Kai is more of a muni track, but it is close to Honolulu and some nice places to visit in Hawaii Kai. Ewa Beach is where most of the golf courses are. There are some pretty good ones there like Waikele, Kapolei, Hawaii Prince, Royal Kunia, and Ewa Beach 360. Tourist rates are expensive for pretty much all the courses.

While you're at Ko'Olina, make sure you eat at Monkey Pod Kitchen, amazing place.

Played Ko’Olina last year when we went. Course was very nice. Extremely well maintained and nice course. I wouldn’t travel to play it but if I was there I would.

While you're at Ko'Olina, make sure you eat at Monkey Pod Kitchen, amazing place.
I go to Monkey Pod on Maui a lot, love their food if its the same owners as the Maui ones.

Not a lot of courses with ocean views on Oahu. Ko Olina is a good resort course with good facilities. Yeah, Royal Hawaiian is a unique golf course, but not for everyone. It is in the jungle like Terminator, so that makes it interesting. Lol.

In my opinion, Turtle Bay is the best public course on Oahu and on the ocean, but it is pricey and a long drive. However, there are a lot of places to visit while driving up there like Haleiwa, Kahuku shrimp trucks, etc. Kahuku golf course is inexpensive, on the ocean, but it is a muni track. Hawaii Kai is more of a muni track, but it is close to Honolulu and some nice places to visit in Hawaii Kai. Ewa Beach is where most of the golf courses are. There are some pretty good ones there like Waikele, Kapolei, Hawaii Prince, Royal Kunia, and Ewa Beach 360. Tourist rates are expensive for pretty much all the courses.
I did want to play turtle bay, but im only there for 5 days and will be staying in Honolulu so that was a little too far out of the way. I liked the look of some of the Muni courses but seems like they do the same thing as Maui, you can not get a tee time more then a week out and it books up instantly. Also heard the Honolulu muni courses get jam packed and slower play which can kind of runi the experince.

Back