Not Happy with my Irons

h0ss66

Reaction score
Guys, I posted this on another forum, but I wanted to post here to get some more opinions. I hope that's not considered tacky...and if it is, I apologize.

Anyway, here goes:

So I've only been playing Golf for about 6 months, but I've definitely caught the bug and have been improving. I picked up the TM Burner 1.0s about 4 months ago and they were okay at first but for some reason I despise them right now. They seem clunky, flimsy, and overall the feel is not inspiring confidence. I enjoy playing my Cleveland CG15 wedge much more, and in fact hit it better. Now that my swing has improved (somewhat), I can't feel the clubhead and haven't been getting great results from the Burners.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I mean its my first set of irons and obviously I'm a beginner but I don't want my equipment holding back my game, especially since I've been putting a lot of time and effort into golf so far, and have really taken to it (lessons every two weeks, playing on the weekends, 2-3 range session per week, reading up, watching videos, doing drills, etc...). I was thinking of dumping the Burners and moving on to more of a players cavity back, which I'm hoping would help me two-fold: 1) give me better feel and 2) give me feedback to really let me know how and why my swing is off.

I'm considering some Mizunos, maybe the JPX 800 Pros or MP53s. Also, the Bridgestone J38's or the Nike VR Pro combos. Most of those sets are relatively pricey so I was hoping to pick up a players cavity from last year, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Any advice?

Maybe I'm just way out of my league and should stick with the Burners now, but they just piss me off at the moment and when I look down at address I already feel like I'm going to screw up. Don't have that feeling with my wedges...

I say buy whatever you want buddy. If they look too clunky, then buy something that isn't as clunky.

I know it doesn't really matter and you can buy what you want but, why make the game more difficult on yourself? A players CB is going to punish you for less than great shots. The Burners are going to help you on those less than perfect shots.

Out of curiosity, what do you shoot?

I know it doesn't really matter and you can buy what you want but, why make the game more difficult on yourself? A players CB is going to punish you for less than great shots. The Burners are going to help you on those less than perfect shots.

Out of curiosity, what do you shoot?

I haven't been indexed officially yet, but I've played a bunch of rounds recently. I'm shooting around 95, eek. My short game is solid though, best part of my game is my wedge play.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I mean its my first set of irons and obviously I'm a beginner but I don't want my equipment holding back my game, especially since I've been putting a lot of time and effort into golf so far, and have really taken to it (lessons every two weeks, playing on the weekends, 2-3 range session per week, reading up, watching videos, doing drills, etc...). I was thinking of dumping the Burners and moving on to more of a players cavity back, which I'm hoping would help me two-fold: 1) give me better feel and 2) give me feedback to really let me know how and why my swing is off.

Since you are taking lessons, have you talked with your pro? Golf is about confidence and if you don't look down at the clubs and feel confident, then to some extent it makes the game harder. Have you gone to golf stores and tried the various irons that are out there? Is there a used club store in your area; if so see if they allow you to check out clubs and try them.

I say definatley off the Burners, then I say hit every iron known to man until you find the one that best suits you.

You mentioned in your first post that you're taking lessons with a pro. Were you fitted for the clubs you play now? I think that a proper fitting, especially with irons, can help immensely. Plus it's fun! You'll get to hit a ton of clubs to figure out which works best for you. Good luck in your search!

And for the record, I changed irons this year for the same reason. I think I benefited from the fitting more than the actual irons, but I was so tired of staring at the shovels I was using!

Since you are taking lessons, have you talked with your pro? Golf is about confidence and if you don't look down at the clubs and feel confident, then to some extent it makes the game harder. Have you gone to golf stores and tried the various irons that are out there? Is there a used club store in your area; if so see if they allow you to check out clubs and try them.

My pro doesn't seem to be a big equipment guy, he just says to hit whatever I like. He does notice my frustration with iron play and the fact that my wedge game is much better than my mid-game. He says I get a pissed off look when I have to grab a 5 or 6 iron, lol. This is obviously a mental issue...

I'll chuck in a 'get fitted' too. Seeing your numbers and maybe even comparing the burners to another iron might inspire a bit more confidence in them.

I'll also add that, over the (almost) 20 years I've played the game, I've had some really rubbish golf clubs....but the only thing holding my game back has been me! That means, if you're not confident with the club in your hand, you'll do badly. So by all means go have a look at the options.

Yeah I think for the most part you'll find feedback in just about every iron. The mishits on the players type irons are more punishing. Really depends. Play what you want, but I have a feeling going to a club with less forgiviness is only going to make things more frustrating. I don'tshoot much better than you but I can tell you, having forgiveness is amazing. I still get plenty of feedback from my Razr X's. That comes with experience with the club. You get to know your hits and misses.

You mentioned in your first post that you're taking lessons with a pro. Were you fitted for the clubs you play now? I think that a proper fitting, especially with irons, can help immensely. Plus it's fun! You'll get to hit a ton of clubs to figure out which works best for you. Good luck in your search!

And for the record, I changed irons this year for the same reason. I think I benefited from the fitting more than the actual irons, but I was so tired of staring at the shovels I was using!

I was fitted for length, but not lie because they said my swing will change and it wasn't worth it. The other thing is, shafts might be off, they are uniflex and I prob could benefit from stiff. I got a great deal on the 1.0s, part of the reason why I went for them (and I did like them over the 2.0s and some AP1s in the bay when I went for the purchase). Might have to cut my losses here.

If you basically just got into the game I would not recommend any of the clubs you listed. If the burners are not inspiring confidence, then you do need to look elsewhere, but if it were me I would definitely stick the GI type Irons, maybe try irons from cleveland, callaway, regular jpx800's, Ping G15, cobra S3.

just my .02

If you basically just got into the game I would not recommend any of the clubs you listed. If the burners are not inspiring confidence, then you do need to look elsewhere, but if it were me I would definitely stick the GI type Irons, maybe try irons from cleveland, callaway, regular jpx800's, Ping G15, cobra S3.

just my .02

This is what I would do.

This is what I would do.

Understood fellas, stinks a little bit cause I've only had my Burners for a short time, but I just don't think they are right for me at this point. Felt great when I bought em, but have ultimately failed me.

I agree with the guys. I would talked to your pro on what style of irons would work best for your game and then get fitted.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

just my .02

I would add the Nike Pro Cavities to this list.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the nikes. The JPX800s look nice too. I'm hoping I can get this sorted asap and get my game back on track.

Don't let that blade wedge fool you. It's a blade, but it's a wedge. You're supposed to hit them better.

I hit my CG-12 56 degree better then my Machspeed 6i too, that doesn't mean that design would be better for me in a 6i.

Many GI iron sets even come with blades past the PW. They're just easier to hit being so short and for many the heavier SW towards the head helps the feel as well.

Of course play what you want though. There are so many good sets of irons out there, I think what often gets overlooked the most is how you feel about how they look at address. Having confidence in the club is more important to me then the technical difference between most GI irons.

You are basically new to the game so,i wouldnt even think about getting "players" irons.I would add the Di11's to that tryout list,they along with cleveland's cg16's are the best irons i have hit this year.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the nikes. The JPX800s look nice too. I'm hoping I can get this sorted asap and get my game back on track.

GL man. Golf is a funny game youll be back before you know it

I have a question. If someone has been playing just a short time, do they really have an established swing? If not, then why would a fitting help if his swing will be changing? What I mean by established swing, is that when I first started playing every swing I had was different. Not that I did it intentionally but as some would say, I didn't have the muscle memory. I wouldn't focus on the little things I didn't know about. Such as a good base, good tempo, keeping head still and down... and so forth.

I recently got new irons this year and I never was fitted before I would highly reccommend it. During my fitting I found out I was a standard lenght but 2 degrees upright. It made a big difference in my ball striking. So whatever clubs you descide to go with I would get them fitted to you.

I think fittings can always help....plus you can always go back and have fittings done as a swing changes, etc. to make sure your clubs are still tuned to your particular swing at that point in time.

I have a question. If someone has been playing just a short time, do they really have an established swing? If not, then why would a fitting help if his swing will be changing? What I mean by established swing, is that when I first started playing every swing I had was different. Not that I did it intentionally but as some would say, I didn't have the muscle memory. I wouldn't focus on the little things I didn't know about. Such as a good base, good tempo, keeping head still and down... and so forth.

A fitting will help in terms of measurements more than anything i think and,while the swing may keep changing ball contact and angle will more than likely be the same.When i started my swing wasnt repeatable either but,no matter what the difference in each swing was i still dug the toe thru the ground and more often than not i made ball contact towards the toe.Getting fit 2* upright fixed that immediately.

I would get fit, and also hit as many different sets as you can.

Back