Nike and David Duval Part Ways

Since I agree with the comment that at his level Duval could hit just about anything well I will throw one idea in here just for the fun of it. Maybe DD believes there is a chance that he can cut a deal with Scratch that would in his best interests and is doing his best to push that agenda along. By the way I don’t want to imply that there is anything wrong with that. Nor do I want to imply that I know anything about why DD might be doing what he is doing, just wondering like everybody else.

Looking at Scratch and Mizuno I would guess there is less chance of DD cutting a deal with Mizuno as they probably think their staff is in pretty good shape presently. So I would guess that he really does like the Mizuno wedges if he is playing them. Although I would not be surprised if he did not have them shafted to his very particular taste regardless of how good the Spinner shafts are. That said if he has kept the Spinners as well that says a good deal for the combination.

But Scratch has said on this forum that they will not be paying any players to use their wedges. That they dont pay any players to use their wedges. Well except when they do like their "part owner" Moore, Christie Kerr, etc... Not always through sponsorships, but also through winners pools. I just find it odd that a company that has spent so much time marketing their goods as "not paying players" changed their minds. Nothing wrong with that, and I was glad to see it, I just dont get the reason to continue to say it, when now its clearly just word play.

jb what does the ds say that duval played this week?

scratch (3-9) titl. (1; 910 d3; 8.5; (tita))
tour edge (3; exotics cb2; 15.0; (m))
nike (hybr; vr; 18.0; (m))

titl. (sc-newport)

scratch (pw)
mizuno (aw; mp t11; 50)
mizuno (sw; mp t11; 56)

you know, I really did not like David Duval. Mostly because he is funny looking to me. But, there was an interview on him and I really liked the guy after it was done. It also made me feel bad that I didnt like him cause he looked so darn funny, I learned a good lesson

scratch (3-9) titl. (1; 910 d3; 8.5; (tita))
tour edge (3; exotics cb2; 15.0; (m))
nike (hybr; vr; 18.0; (m))

titl. (sc-newport)

scratch (pw)
mizuno (aw; mp t11; 50)
mizuno (sw; mp t11; 56)

Thanks JB. I'm interested to see what he does for next season as far as his bag goes. Maybe he goes the Rocco route. Right now Rocco has a pretty mixed bag I believe. I would love to see Duval get back to the winners circle again.

But Scratch has said on this forum that they will not be paying any players to use their wedges.

Hey JB, has Scratch made the same comment about their irons? DD is playing Scratch irons right. So I was thinkin' that DD might be trying to encourage some process along between himself and Scratch that was specific to their irons and that was what I was trying to imply might be at play when I made the earlier post.

Hey JB, has Scratch made the same comment about their irons? DD is playing Scratch irons right. So I was thinkin' that DD might be trying to encourage some process along between himself and Scratch that was specific to their irons and that was what I was trying to imply might be at play when I made the earlier post.

They have made the comment about the overall company. I have no problem with companies paying athletes. None whatsoever. I do have some issues with a company saying "we dont pay athletes to use our product"....Well except when we do. While endorsements are different than Winner's Pools, there is still money exchanging hands to play a product if the person succeeds with said product. I have no idea if DD is getting paid. I doubt it, but I just hate marketing, just for the sake of marketing. If you are going to not pay players to endorse a product, dont pay them. It works for many companies, take a look at SeeMore putters. They pay nothing and cannot even use the name rights of a guy like ZJ. But dont say "We dont pay players and will not pay any players" and then have winners pools. It is a fine line, and I understand the difference, but to me, it is marketing to use those words to sell product.

All of this is just my opinion.

I didn't know see more didn't pay. I guess I thought everyone got paid a little to use something.

I didn't know see more didn't pay. I guess I thought everyone got paid a little to use something.

Not everybody. Many and in some cases most, but not everybody.

Not everybody. Many and in some cases most, but not everybody.

so for players to use such equipment that can only mean good things bout that equipment.

so for players to use such equipment that can only mean good things bout that equipment.

Some would say that for sure.

yes and no. to me scratch is a company that i find somewhat humorous. as jb stated, they've always gone on and on about how they don't pay their players, and in some ways they do. heck, their biggest staffer is ryan moore, who now has ownership in the company. perhaps mr. duval is playing scratch irons b/c he wants a piece of that pie?

At this point in his career I think Duval takes ANY pie he can get and by the looks of him he's had way too much pie. Im confused.

yes and no. to me scratch is a company that i find somewhat humorous. as jb stated, they've always gone on and on about how they don't pay their players, and in some ways they do. heck, their biggest staffer is ryan moore, who now has ownership in the company. perhaps mr. duval is playing scratch irons b/c he wants a piece of that pie?

he doesn't look like a guy who would settle for just a piece of a pie haha

It is a fine line, and I understand the difference, but to me, it is marketing to use those words to sell product.

You are right JB. It is Marketing without question. I don't think it is particularely good Marketing. In the first place, announcing that you do not pay players makes no sense. What??? You are not paying them until when, until the first one you do pay?

or,

There is the case you pointed out. You are not paying players but you have a winner's pool? Saying that a winners pool lies outside of the concept of paying a player is mincing words. It is paying players. Obviously they can do whatever they want to do and won't give a darn what I think but a winner's pool does not even sit in a gray area in my view.

Maybe it is just me but if I was trying to market something as a premium product, I would not allow my marketing positions to even fall into something that might look a little slippery. Making the best irons and "slippery" marketing does not compute. Slippery Marketing is not slimy marketing but it is not clean marketing either and does not resonate if the perception you are trying to create is that this is a premium product deserving of its premium price.

There is a pretty good article on DD here. Makes me respect more and JD less (if that is possible).

This sums up JD...

Daly isn't the only player who avoids Q-school, but he has become the face of those who would rather ask for a handout.

I'm glad Duval got his card back. He is still one my favorites.

I remember thinking David Duval was like the coolest golfer when I was about 13. Tiger was all the rage, of course, but Duval wore those late 90's/early 2000's Oakely shades that were so epic and played with a real edge. He won a major and the Ryder Cup and then kind of dropped off the planet. When he came back, I didn't even recognize him. Hopefully we see him with a new brand and he can recover his game a lot more and start winning again.

I like that he wants to play and is working for it. Hopefully he can get out there and win one to two next year.

I've always like Duval. His priorities involved his family and his golf game suffered. I read somewhere that it didn't bother him - his family came first, which is admirable IMO. Now that he's been married a few years and his kids are older, I guess he has a little more time to spend on golf and it shows. Does he look the same? No, but neither do lots of us guys a few years of raising kids and being married, lol.

I will always root for the hometown hero. Was great being at the Players in 99 to see him win. Really wish he could get back to form. I don't really have a "favorite" player without him in the field (since Payne died, anyway).

Duval has seemed to lock-in a few times this year and get into contention but just can't keep it going. I keep expecting his to win one of these 2nd, 3rd tier events

Back