Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

I wouldn't think it's a short driver, Sean. We are all different and I personally find it refreshing to see people that hit it as far as me :)
I figured you for one of those bombers Hawk. :) My average is about 230 +/-. Hard to compete with Jman's 280 yard bombs. lol

I've felt that way about many things I've reviewed.

Just click yes you want to leave the page and your post will appear.
I thought if I did that I'd lose my post. Thanks for the heads up Hawk. :)

My good drives are 240 and my average probably 20 yards less. It's gotten better with the Z-Star.

My good drives are 240 and my average probably 20 yards less. It's gotten better with the Z-Star.
Then we're in the same ball park. I'm glad you're enjoy the Z-Stars. I found something similar with the ProV1x.

I'm actually talking about my driver, but that's for another thread ;)

I still wish I'd spent some more time with this at the outing.

Finally found one of these locally to hit. Not sure if it was the shaft or what but I was launching it waaay high with crazy spin, like almost 4 grand of back spin, which killed distance. Hitting my regular driving beside it did not produce similar spin numbers, so that removes swing difference from the equation.

I did find it to be every bit as forgiving as the reviewers have mentioned though. Hits off the heel or toe were still in a playable spot according to the simulator. One thing I noticed was that it was difficult to tell where I was hitting the ball on the face without looking at the impact tape.

Also enjoyed the straight forward look at address, very traditional which is quite nice. Enquired about purchasing the head only, that's a big negative.

--
tapatalk

Finally found one of these locally to hit. Not sure if it was the shaft or what but I was launching it waaay high with crazy spin, like almost 4 grand of back spin, which killed distance. Hitting my regular driving beside it did not produce similar spin numbers, so that removes swing difference from the equation.

I did find it to be every bit as forgiving as the reviewers have mentioned though. Hits off the heel or toe were still in a playable spot according to the simulator. One thing I noticed was that it was difficult to tell where I was hitting the ball on the face without looking at the impact tape.

Also enjoyed the straight forward look at address, very traditional which is quite nice. Enquired about purchasing the head only, that's a big negative.

--
tapatalk

Hmmm, thats why I love golf, everyone is different. One of the things I like is how I can tell where I hit it on the club...but...that may be a shaft thing too. Those are some crazy spin numbers for sure, what shaft was in it? Was it the Fuji?

Cool you got to see the forgiveness though SW, it really does amaze me, its not a swing fixer...but there alot of forgiveness in this head.

Sean, don't hate me because I get lucky now and again! The 280's are nothing but accidents my friend lol

Hmmm, thats why I love golf, everyone is different. One of the things I like is how I can tell where I hit it on the club...but...that may be a shaft thing too. Those are some crazy spin numbers for sure, what shaft was in it? Was it the Fuji?

Cool you got to see the forgiveness though SW, it really does amaze me, its not a swing fixer...but there alot of forgiveness in this head.

Sean, don't hate me because I get lucky now and again! The 280's are nothing but accidents my friend lol

Yes it was the fuji in stiff, got the notes out of the washing machine...doh! Launch angle was averaging 16.9 vs 14.2 with the R11.

I think part of the feel issue was more to with the amount of tape the kid put on it than a club issue. I kept thinking back to the reviews here and what I was feeling being so different. I hate taped up clubs!

--
tapatalk

Yes it was the fuji in stiff, got the notes out of the washing machine...doh! Launch angle was averaging 16.9 vs 14.2 with the R11.

I think part of the feel issue was more to with the amount of tape the kid put on it than a club issue. I kept thinking back to the reviews here and what I was feeling being so different. I hate taped up clubs!

--
tapatalk

I'm with ya on taped clubs, it makes me feel all outta whack.

Sounds about like what I saw with the Fuji, just wasn't the best shaft for me.

I'm just impressed you found it somewhere to try, that's a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jman I would never hate you! Actually I'm very happy for you! I've thought on more than one occasion how much fun it would be to play a few rounds of golf with you. :)

As to SW's spin numbers I'm thinking like you it was the shaft.

Jman I would never hate you! Actually I'm very happy for you! I've thought on more than one occasion how much fun it would be to play a few rounds of golf with you. :)

As to SW's spin numbers I'm thinking like you it was the shaft.

Someday it will happen Sean! I'm like you, I think it'd be an absolute BLAST.

Just got back from the range, no real numbers as I only hit the ML4 10 times, pretty sure 9 would have been in the fairway though lol. This club just does work, it really and truly does.

This thread has been amazing. I wish I could find a Nicklaus product to look at let alone hit! Keep up the good work guys! You've been great at answering the questions posed thus far! I've learned a bunch about this driver, so thanks a lot.

This thread has been amazing. I wish I could find a Nicklaus product to look at let alone hit! Keep up the good work guys! You've been great at answering the questions posed thus far! I've learned a bunch about this driver, so thanks a lot.

Thank you for reading, its cool to be able to talk about and show what a "lesser known" club can do. I continue to truly enjoy this testing.

Lol... I'm thinking of picking up ANOTHER ML4 (would be my third). I don't want to mess with my current set-up but I'm pondering another 9* clubhead in order to experiment with more shafts.

Thanks Damaikis! The ML4 is a diamond in the rough, so to speak. :) Nicklaus Golf obviously put a lot of thought into this head and it shows.

Lol... I'm thinking of picking up ANOTHER ML4 (would be my third). I don't want to mess with my current set-up but I'm pondering another 9* clubhead in order to experiment with more shafts.
Too funny WMac! Try teeing it up lower! lol

Someday it will happen Sean! I'm like you, I think it'd be an absolute BLAST.

Just got back from the range, no real numbers as I only hit the ML4 10 times, pretty sure 9 would have been in the fairway though lol. This club just does work, it really and truly does.
I know it would be!

Jman, I wonder how the ML4 would work with a Nunchuk shaft? heehee

I know it would be!

Haha, that is definitely an interesting ponder.

I do still stand by the notion that this head will do WONDERS with all kinds of shafts, I really am that sure of it now with the changes I've put mine through.

I know it would be!

:smile-big: That's one of the shafts I'm considering!

Last edited:
Haha, that is definitely an interesting ponder.

I do still stand by the notion that this head will do WONDERS with all kinds of shafts, I really am that sure of it now with the changes I've put mine through.
I think this is one of the best heads out there Jman, as I know you do. I hope it makes another appearance at the 2012 outing.

:smile-big: That's one of the shafts I'm considering!
Why am I not surprised Wmac? :bulgy-eyes: If you do try it, I'd love to hear what you think!

ML4 Update

I played 18 today. The course was very soupy, played very long, and the greens were small and surrounded by trouble. I hit the ML4 twelve times and kept it in play ten times. Of the two I missed one was a dead pull that went howling into the woods, the other landed in the fairway and kicked dead left into the hazard...I still can't figure that one out. I shot a 79. Interestingly enough I played with a fellow who had an ML3, which he's very enamored with.

I know, you must be getting tired of hearing how solid this driver feels and sounds, how forgiving it is, and how far it goes. But for me it's all true. I've been playing this driver for close to six months, which must be some kind of record. I haven't even been tempted to hit another driver. I haven't even looked at another driver. This is very unusual behavior for me.

Good to hear, last couple rounds I don't even have 200 average with drives. My hybrid is longer off the tee. Don't know what's wrong.

tapatalk addict....

ML4 Update

I know, you must be getting tired of hearing how solid this driver feels and sounds, how forgiving it is, and how far it goes. But for me it's all true. I've been playing this driver for close to six months, which must be some kind of record. I haven't even been tempted to hit another driver. I haven't even looked at another driver. This is very unusual behavior for me.

Good stuff Sean, it's easy to see why you haven't looking elsewhere.

Solid round, Sean. 6 months is pretty spectacular for you :bashful:

Solid round, Sean. 6 months is pretty spectacular for you :bashful:
Thanks Hawk! Yeah, I know. I can't remember the last time I used a club that long...if ever. Thanks to THP and Nicklaus Golf! :)

Back