NHL '09-'10 Season

Since the NHL is on a break due to the olympics, do they extend the season by a few extra weeks to make up for it? :confused2:

Also, what's the difference between olympic hockey and the NHL? I don't think you're allowed to fight in the olympics correct? And also the ice is bigger? Do they have the same rules for off-sides and icing? Will the be penalty shots after overtime? :confused2:

The ice is normally bigger but they kept an NHL size rink this year because of the host country. I think it makes a difference.
Overtime goes for 10 minutes in elimination rounds and then they go to a 5 person shootout format. Olympics use no touch icing, you are ejected for fighting and you have to wear a visor, also the goalie can handle the puck behind the crease. There are a bunch of other things im missing.

The only other thing I can think of is that you are allowed to repeat shooters if the shootout goes to extra rounds.
Canada did it in their last game, going Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, it was still tied, so they were allowed to use Crosby again. And if it would have went more rounds, they could have gone with Crosby again and again as many times as they wanted.

So far I'd say the games have been pretty entertaining. Not sure I can get my head around the problems the Olympic Committee has the the Goalie Masks especially with what is going on with the Korean's but hey that's sports I guess.

I've also noticed in the olympics, there's no trapezoid by the goalie!! Its just a straight line across the ice.

I've also noticed in the olympics, there's no trapezoid by the goalie!! Its just a straight line across the ice.

International rules....

So, playoff matchups are set, and they look awesome!
Who does everybody like in the first round?

Here are my predictions:
East: WAS in 5, NJ in 5, BUF in 6, PIT in 5
West: SJ in 7, CHI in 5, VAN in 6, PHX in 7

The Kings play Vancouver starting Thursday night. They have been playing like garbage as of late but were able to get to Luongo last week. It should be a great series.

chicago will beat nashville, then vancouver, then sanjose to make it to the cup
Chicago is my pick to make it out of the West as well. Only question mark is goaltending.

So, playoff matchups are set, and they look awesome!
Who does everybody like in the first round?

Here are my predictions:
East: WAS in 5, NJ in 5, BUF in 6, PIT in 5
West: SJ in 7, CHI in 5, VAN in 6, PHX in 7

I agree pretty much with your picks except I think CHI will dominate in 4. And I see the Wings beating the artists formerly known as the Jets in 7.

The Kings play Vancouver starting Thursday night. They have been playing like garbage as of late but were able to get to Luongo last week. It should be a great series.

Had the opportunity to see a playoff game, but sold our tickets!! Its ok, there'll be a next time :)

Had the opportunity to see a playoff game, but sold our tickets!! Its ok, there'll be a next time :)

Thats too bad, they are a lot of fun.

My mighty west predictions:

SJ over Col (though Col is my team) in 6
Van over LA in 5
Det over Phx in 5
Nash over Chi in 7 ( Picking Rinne to get HOT)

East predictions:

Was in 5
NJ in 6
Buf in 5
Pitt in 5

OK here's how I see it,
Sharks over Avs in 5 (firepower wins)
Hawks over Pred's in 4 (firepower wins)
Vancouver over Kings in 7 (talent wins this one)
Wings over Coyot's in 5 (experience wins this one)

Caps over Habs in 4 (too much talent)
Devils over Flyers in 5 (goaltending makes a huge difference)
Sabers over 'B''s in 6 (his name is Miller)
Sens over Pens in 7 (a draw but I think the Sens pull it off)

My mighty west predictions:

SJ over Col (though Col is my team) in 6
Van over LA in 5
Det over Phx in 5
Nash over Chi in 7 ( Picking Rinne to get HOT)
Gutsy pick I love it and could see it happening

Gutsy pick I love it and could see it happening

I think I am the only person alive taking Nas over Chi, but I would even take Ellis over Huet any day.

Your picking Ott over Pitt is pretty gutsy yourself. Especially with Kovalev out for the playoffs. I would love to see it though. :act-up:

I'll go straight to the end but my gut tells me that the teams that will play for Lord Stanley wil be......
Vancouver vs. Washington and I think it will be a seven games series, baring injuries or what not I'll go with the Caps.

Maybe im being a bit biased but I really think the Kings have a shot at knocking out Vancouver. I know Quick has been bad down the stretch but he looked pretty good his last game.

I'm cheering for the Coyotes, what a turnaround that team has been :clapp:

Anyone see the Col-SJ game last night :bananadance:

What a start to the Playoffs! All one-goal games so far.
Hopefully my Pens can turn things around, other than that I'm enjoying all the close endings/upsets.
How about Montreal completely shutting down Ovechkin!? I think they said that was the most playing time he's ever had in a game where he didn't record any shots.

All I can say is very interesting so far not what I expected at all but very entertaining.

Anyone see the Col-SJ game last night :bananadance:

They've been the #1 in the west for a while, but yet they can't seem to ever get very far in the playoffs. Maybe its the nerves and the pressure? :confused2: But Colorado...???? WOW!!

Back