New Driver buy or not buy

esg777

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I am looking at my bag and thinking of updating my Driver. It is working well but it is a Cobra Rad speed, which is a few years old. I was wondering if I will see some added distance and or consistency in the newest drivers. i would get fit for a new driver. Do you think I will see a difference in the newest drivers from my Radspeed?

I think you’d see some difference. I’ve seen improvement in dispersion and more center-face contact going from the 10.5 LTDx to the 12° Aerojet. The 12° distance is essentially the same as the 10.5.

I'm starting to think the major difference you see in New drivers is in the thickness of your wallet.

I usually hit drivers I like for a while, still hitting a G400 max.

It depends...has your swing changed at all or much in the past few years?

Probably not the group you want to ask about new equipment purchases...:LOL:

I have seen some more distance out of the driver this year. I have changed my swing tempo to a little slower. I just want to make sure I am maximizing my driver.

So I am looking at my bag and thinking of updating my Driver. It is working well but it is a Cobra Rad speed, which is a few years old. I was wondering if I will see some added distance and or consistency in the newest drivers. i would get fit for a new driver. Do you think I will see a difference in the newest drivers from my Radspeed?
I think you’ll see some difference - is it worth it to you? If you try it and gain 5 yards how much is that worth to you? 10 yards? It all comes down to preference

I don’t think you’ll see $600 worth of difference… it’s too soon. FWIW I hit my Paradym and Stealth Plus demos as far and not as accurate as my Ping G400max. Glad I didn’t go out and “buy” those other 2 drivers.

But to some people money means nothing so do what makes you feel satisfied!

I'm starting to think the major difference you see in New drivers is in the thickness of your wallet.

I usually hit drivers I like for a while, still hitting a G400 max.

Time for the G430, First impression after two days with it -- definitely an improvement.

I was hesitant to upgrade from my Callaway Epic Flash, figuring I would not see much improvement. I went and got fit at the local PXG store and went with their Gen 6 driver. Compared to my Epic Flash, it is an improvement in about every category according to Shot Scope except for longest drive., However, that longest drive with my Epic Flash was on my home course, #18, downhill, down wind, I have not taken the PXG driver out on that course since I got it as the course is closed for renovation. My average drive, good, bad, indifferent, has actually increased by 13 yards as the PXG seems a little more forgiving.

1690733981556.png

If you get fit in the new driver, you will probably see some improvement. However as someone said, new drivers are expensive.

The question is do you think you need more distance and consistency? If you are gonna fork down some dine you want to know it’s gonna change your play driver wise significantly for the better. Perhaps do a fitting and see across all new drivers if there’s one that stands out?

You're asking the wrong crowd because the answer will almost always be

Gonna agree with the group here. Answer is always yes to new equipment. Even when things are going well.

This is THP, home of the best enablers in golf. :LOL:

So I am looking at my bag and thinking of updating my Driver. It is working well but it is a Cobra Rad speed, which is a few years old.
I’ll be the “other” voice in your head. When speaking of your Cobra driver you said that “it is working well.” There is a lot to be said for that. All of us like new stuff - but, something that is reliable and predictable is worth something. If you’ve got the “itch” for a new driver by all means go ahead. But, you may find, in a few weeks, that all that $$$ spent may not have been the best choice. I can say this because I’ve been where you are.

It is probably going to be very hard to beat that Cobra Radspeed for performance as long as it is working for you, but sometimes new can give a person a tad more confidence for a while. You just never know how it will play out. If you have somewhere that you can go and hit the drivers that you are interested in some that might be the biggest helper as to whether to purchase one or not.

Not long ago, I went to a pro shop near me that will let you hit clubs and took several drivers out and hit them. None really out performed my Radspeed when hit well. I knew in my mind it was not the driver, but the guy swinging it. It only took me about 15 minutes to know the problem, but I wanted a new driver to fix it :cool:.

The challenge I have is that I don't hit my driver as good (distance or dispersion) as I used to and that is on me and a new driver won't fix my swing issues. I don't use a driver anyway as I hit my 3 wood about 220-240 in the fairway most of the time and as an older senior golfer that is all I need at the distances I play. If I could hit my driver a constant 260+ in the fairway it would be valuable to me, but that doesn't happen.

Personally I think the RADSPEED XB was one of the better drivers of the last few years. Plenty of pop, very neutral as far as left right bias goes, and flies fairly high. Unless it is just a bad fit for you I doubt you’re going to see much improvement. I would t buy anything without a compare.

I don’t think you’ll see $600 worth of difference… it’s too soon. FWIW I hit my Paradym and Stealth Plus demos as far and not as accurate as my Ping G400max. Glad I didn’t go out and “buy” those other 2 drivers.

But to some people money means nothing so do what makes you feel satisfied!
$600 is alot for me to spend so the gains have to be substantial. Your RadSpeed is from 2021, so not that old.

But, if you feel you need new and shiny....the call is always up to the guy flopping down the cash. ;)

With newer drivers, I look at improvements in spin, launch and forgiveness. Usually it takes about 2-3 generations for any evolution to make a difference. For example, I had a Ping G400 Max from 2018, bought a G425 in early 2022 but wasn't completely sold on it. It was only two generations in and I did not think it was that much of a difference. Enter the G430 - first impressions are quiet, improvements in spin, thinner face, slightly more forgiveness - and with the same shaft as the 425. Happy. I worked on my swing to make the G425 work, but I was still uncomfortable with it. I had the wrong loft, lofted down by adjusting but again was not comfortable with it. I tried other drivers in the meantime but nothing seemed as forgiving as the Ping.

So you've got to compare your present driver with a new model of the same driver or a new brand and look at the differences.

The itch for a new driver will always be there - but is it worth it? Take your time. Is the new driver revolutionary or just another small evolution? If evolution, wait a few more years, keep on evaluating. Or if you have several trade items so it is less expensive, that is a consideration. Good luck.

I was hesitant to upgrade from my Callaway Epic Flash, figuring I would not see much improvement. I went and got fit at the local PXG store and went with their Gen 6 driver. Compared to my Epic Flash, it is an improvement in about every category according to Shot Scope except for longest drive., However, that longest drive with my Epic Flash was on my home course, #18, downhill, down wind, I have not taken the PXG driver out on that course since I got it as the course is closed for renovation. My average drive, good, bad, indifferent, has actually increased by 13 yards as the PXG seems a little more forgiving.

View attachment 9195767
Thats a really good straight up comparison between the two drivers!

If it were me, unless I had an absolutely smoking deal to upgrade, I would wait. Thats just me though. If I make a change I want a BIG difference, be it in dispersion or distance. It has to be big enough to make me open the wallet!

I’ve been thinking about this of late; I’m really new at hitting driver but I’ve been hitting my King Cobra SS rather well. The club itself is over 20 years old. I hit it over 200y, maybe 210. If I tried a brand new driver, what type of difference would I see?

Back