New arrival from the St. Louis area

SharkHat

Aquatic Headwear Fanatic
Reaction score
Handicap
My swing
Hello there THP!

I'm a 37 year old golfer that is returning to the game after a hiatus of nearly a decade. I discovered golf when I was in my early 20's, and learned to love the strategic aspects of the chess game we all play with the course. I had a friend who introduced me to the game and coached me through some basics, but I never sought professional instruction. I reached a mediocre level of skill, which enabled me to get through a round with enough decent shots to keep me coming back for more. Putting and chipping were my strengths.

Life took me in a few different directions, and after a few years of working midnight shifts in the IT field, I found myself not playing enough to even get those good shots anymore. Most of my shots were coming off the shank, leaving me feeling like I could have had a more productive day if I had spent it swinging an aluminum bat at a flagpole. The clubs got put in a corner to gather dust.

Recently another long time friend of mine has reinvigorated my interest in the game. He's coaxed me into filling out his foursome for a couple of scramble tournaments, and has helped me considerably with getting back in the swing of things. He watched my swing and identified a great number of things that I have been doing wrong. I didn't know how to correct any of them, and have struggled for the last year barely on the edge of wanting to come back.

I've read a good number of threads here, especially in the Game Improvement forum, and it's helped me come to the conclusion that my old swing is a thing of the past. It's time to engineer a new one, by focusing on what to do right instead of remembering what I have been doing wrong. A few loose terms here and there and advice on posture and plane have hit the spot, and at least gotten me to a less painful swing so far.

So... here's to improving one swing at a time.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP! Let your friend know about the site too!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome aboard SharkHat, glad to hear you are getting back into this sport all of us here love. Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome!

Welcome, SharkHat! I am about 2 hours west of you (little town north of Columbia called Moberly). Nice to have another Midwesterner.

Nice to meet you!!

Welcome to the forum!!

Welcome to :thp:

Welcome to THP

Welcome to ThP.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the welcome.

Hey there Jeff. I've been through Moberly a number of times, either passing through on my way up to Kirksville or when a group of us do the 70-63-36-61 loop on our Harleys.

Thanks for the welcome.

Hey there Jeff. I've been through Moberly a number of times, either passing through on my way up to Kirksville or when a group of us do the 70-63-36-61 loop on our Harleys.

Very nice. I believe my Mom rides a Sportster. I don't ride though, not really my thing. But, if you are ever in the area and want to play some golf, let me know.

Welcome to THP!!!!!

Welcome!

Welcome!

welcome to THP

Welcome to THP.

Back