Negative Self-Talk

KB I was at the practice green the other night and my first 15 putts were god awful. I started talking down to myself and then I remembered the pep talk. Started hitting much better putts after that

I don't tend to be hard on myself over particular shots, but I get frustrated when I'm not playing well below the level I know I can achieve. I try to be a positive person and have found that I tend to mess up whenever I'm trying to force the ball. When I've got a shot where I've a possibility of getting into trouble, I try to think of playing an easy shot to close by it, rather than trying to mash the ball well past. Therefore when I'm on the 4 holes on my normal course where I have to carry over ditches, I'll have the thought in my head "just chip it just past the ditch", even when I'll easily clear it. That keeps me relaxed and I get a good shot in and clear easily, but if I get it into my head that it's a difficult shot, 80% of the time I'll put it straight in or duff in short and have to play another shot over.

I find that if I am negative then my game does suffer. Take putting, if I am putting badly and think to myself here comes another 3 putt then that is what usually happens.

I am trying to stop those thoughts though and now play each hole 1 shot at a time. If I do have a bad hole or shot I just try to forget about it and carry on with the next one. Always trying to do my best on each shot

KB I was at the practice green the other night and my first 15 putts were god awful. I started talking down to myself and then I remembered the pep talk. Started hitting much better putts after that

Just saw this Chunky and I'm tickled about it! I've been working on my thoughts too and I played the best I have played in a long time today. It was great! I'm going to try to focus on the good stuff from today and forget the ugly stuff from last weekend. Keep up the positive talk!

Letting go of expectations is more important than anything IMHO.

Id have to agree with that, I played today without adding my scores up after 9 or at any point, to try to take the pressure of of "having to score this" on a given hole to get a certain score. Just went out and slapped it around

I curse on bad shots but that helps relieve the frustration of hitting a poor shot. I let it go and continue to the next shot. Need to work on that cursing though... or maybe not hit so many bad shots haha

Wow that is a great point. I tend to think negatively any time I have to pull a long iron from my bag for a shot because I have had such a problem hooking them. I lost all confidence in it. I had a streak where I was hitting it well and I was confident and I was hitting them well, then I lost my swing altogether throughout the bag and I'm struggling with that confidence again...anyway, I agree that a big part of golf is mental. My brother has a great swing but he is always negative about himself and saying he just isn't good enough to play in tournaments and stuff, but he really is good but he just lets his negative thoughts control his round. Maybe I should buy him this book!

Just saw this Chunky and I'm tickled about it! I've been working on my thoughts too and I played the best I have played in a long time today. It was great! I'm going to try to focus on the good stuff from today and forget the ugly stuff from last weekend. Keep up the positive talk!

Easier done on the practice greens I guess KB. Played on Friday and it was awful putting yet again. First hole I promised myself I would get it to the hole. Left it 3 feet short and that was it. Negative thoughts the rest of the round on the greens. I will continue working on it though.

I try to laugh off the bad shots. My problem is that I think to much about my round during my round. My best rounds are the ones that I'm distracted by my play both good and bad, I don't focus on my score or if I'm +,- for the round.

Back