NCAA College Baseball 2022 Thread

TRyan

Granddaddy 2X | GOAT Cup Champ | Gray Bull Bound
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I will FULLY admit up front that I don't expect this one to get a ton of traction.

HOWEVER, since the MLB is currently in a bit of a standstill with the CBA negotiations, I figured I would start a thread with College Baseball beginning last weekend.

Here are the current Top 25 (As of 2/21), as usual, lots of Big 12, SEC, ACC representation.

1645622603433.png

As a kid who used to go to Omaha EVERY summer for the College World Series, I LOVE seeing schools like Long Beach State and Miami back on this list, they were always fun to root for as a kid.

Selfishly, I think Texas is properly ranked at that #1 spot. They lost their Ace from last season, but not a TON else. It has to be Omaha or bust for them this year, and I think if they come together they have a good chance to win it.

So any other CBB fans out there? Who do you like? Do you go to games? Let's chat about it.

I don't expect to see my Holy Cross Crusaders (your 1952 CWS Champs!) on this list. Still rebuilding and a weaker non-conference schedule (when I was in school we were playing teams like Stetson, Rollins, Georgia Southern, and Charleston Southern). New coach in the 2010s and we were playing A&M, Miss State, LSU, AZ, and ASU. Now we are back to having Troy, NM, and Richmond.

My wife used to live in Austin, so we are pretty big UT fans. My cousin played baseball at Florida some 20 years ago, so I've always liked the Gators. I have a friend who went to Ole Miss so I do cheer on the Rebs. (Going to be interesting with UT and Ole Miss in the SEC West together). Going to a smaller school, I always seem to pick a larger school to get behind. Peyton Pallette missing the whole season due to injury for the Hogs will probably derail their chances and give Miss State or Ole Miss a chance at the SEC West. Vandy and UF should be strong in the East. OK State looked good against Vandy. Definitely the Horns toughest opponent in the Big XII this year.

And yeah I love seeing LBSU and teams like UC Riverside, etc. doing well

Really wish Syracuse had a team (only ACC member not to). People always mention the weather but we have Le Moyne right here in same city and they are pretty good D2 program. Also have Cortland and Oswego within 30-40 minutes and they are both D3 powerhouses. Cortland lost in championship last year I believe.

I just started paying attention to college baseball last year (women's softball as well). It's now on the bucket list to take a trip to Omaha. Last year's tournament was unbelievable.

I don't expect to see my Holy Cross Crusaders (your 1952 CWS Champs!) on this list. Still rebuilding and a weaker non-conference schedule (when I was in school we were playing teams like Stetson, Rollins, Georgia Southern, and Charleston Southern). New coach in the 2010s and we were playing A&M, Miss State, LSU, AZ, and ASU. Now we are back to having Troy, NM, and Richmond.

My wife used to live in Austin, so we are pretty big UT fans. My cousin played baseball at Florida some 20 years ago, so I've always liked the Gators. I have a friend who went to Ole Miss so I do cheer on the Rebs. (Going to be interesting with UT and Ole Miss in the SEC West together). Going to a smaller school, I always seem to pick a larger school to get behind. Peyton Pallette missing the whole season due to injury for the Hogs will probably derail their chances and give Miss State or Ole Miss a chance at the SEC West. Vandy and UF should be strong in the East. OK State looked good against Vandy. Definitely the Horns toughest opponent in the Big XII this year.

And yeah I love seeing LBSU and teams like UC Riverside, etc. doing well

Arkansas is an interesting one. They are still pretty stacked, even without Pallette, Robert Moore (Son of Royals GM Dayton Moore) is an absolute STUD.

I agree RE: Oklahoma State, although Tech should also be pretty solid as well, and TCU is always a tough team.

Really wish Syracuse had a team (only ACC member not to). People always mention the weather but we have Le Moyne right here in same city and they are pretty good D2 program. Also have Cortland and Oswego within 30-40 minutes and they are both D3 powerhouses. Cortland lost in championship last year I believe.

I just started paying attention to college baseball last year (women's softball as well). It's now on the bucket list to take a trip to Omaha. Last year's tournament was unbelievable.

The College World Series is INCREDIBLE.

It is a bit unfortunate that Syracuse doesn't have a team, unfortunately, Title IX led to this at a fair number of schools.

The College World Series is INCREDIBLE.

It is a bit unfortunate that Syracuse doesn't have a team, unfortunately, Title IX led to this at a fair number of schools.

Yeah.. I can't wait to get there. We have one son who is a freshman pitcher at D3 level. My youngest is 15 but should play college baseball at some level if he chooses too. Those 2 have taken up our summers with all the travel ball stuff. When my youngest finishes w/ that I think we will make the trip.

Yeah.. I can't wait to get there. We have one son who is a freshman pitcher at D3 level. My youngest is 15 but should play college baseball at some level if he chooses too. Those 2 have taken up our summers with all the travel ball stuff. When my youngest finishes w/ that I think we will make the trip.

I hear ya there haha. I played D2 baseball and my little brother played JUCO baseball before moving to Texas Tech, my dad's summers were FULL of travel baseball.

Luckily, we played a wood bat tournament in Omaha almost every summer that always lined up with the CWS so I have been numerous times, both at the old Rosenblatt Stadium and the new one as well.

would love to see arkansas bring one home.... a buddy i grew up with just got drafted out of there

would love to see arkansas bring one home.... a buddy i grew up with just got drafted out of there

They have a VERY tough road to get there since they are in the best conference in all of College Baseball, but they are super talented.

So thankful baseball is here. Finally have a Horns team worth cheering for! Texas is looking good so far.

I will FULLY admit up front that I don't expect this one to get a ton of traction.

HOWEVER, since the MLB is currently in a bit of a standstill with the CBA negotiations, I figured I would start a thread with College Baseball beginning last weekend.

Here are the current Top 25 (As of 2/21), as usual, lots of Big 12, SEC, ACC representation.

View attachment 9069355

As a kid who used to go to Omaha EVERY summer for the College World Series, I LOVE seeing schools like Long Beach State and Miami back on this list, they were always fun to root for as a kid.

Selfishly, I think Texas is properly ranked at that #1 spot. They lost their Ace from last season, but not a TON else. It has to be Omaha or bust for them this year, and I think if they come together they have a good chance to win it.

So any other CBB fans out there? Who do you like? Do you go to games? Let's chat about it.
So many good memories of LBSU and Miami. I was able to go to the CWS the last year they used the -5 bats in the old Rosenblatt Stadium. It was a spectacle of an event! and remember Pat Burrell hitting it over the large scoreboard!

So thankful baseball is here. Finally have a Horns team worth cheering for! Texas is looking good so far.

They are absolutely LOADED. Melendez is a freak of nature, he put a couple of balls WAY out this weekend, was fun to watch.

I have no expectations for Arizona State baseball anymore. It’s been tough watching a once powerful program turn into an also-ran. New coach Willie Bloomquist has zero coaching experience, but ASU’s AD hired him anyway. Who knows, maybe they can surprise me and be decent. They are off to a 3-1 start, winning against Nevada last night.

I have no expectations for Arizona State baseball anymore. It’s been tough watching a once powerful program turn into an also-ran. New coach Willie Bloomquist has zero coaching experience, but ASU’s AD hired him anyway. Who knows, maybe they can surprise me and be decent. They are off to a 3-1 start, winning against Nevada last night.

Another tough conference with Stanford OSU Arizona and UCLA. Unfortunately, they kinda seem like a middle-of-the-pack team, and that is a shame for how good they once were.

Big Auburn fan. We’ve got a lot of young guys and JUCO transfers. So far we’ve started strong, but I’m not sure the pitching depth is there to make a run. Butch Thompson gave us hope with the World Series appearance a few years ago but when that roster left, it hadn’t been the same. War Damn Eagle!

What a game between Bama and Texas last night.

I know it is February, but this was pretty electric.

Gotta love it!!

Tommy White is off to a pretty good start for NC State.

The first seven days of Tommy White’s college career will go down as one of the best debut weeks in college baseball history.

The freshman first baseman homered twice -- including a fourth-inning grand slam -- and drove in six runs in No. 9 North Carolina State’s 10-4 win over Quinnipiac on Friday night at Doak Field. His big performance gave him seven home runs and 21 RBIs in his first six collegiate games.

1645885878516.png

1646229969713.png

Updated Top 25 for this week.

Some interesting teams in here early on, a school like "Sacramento State" is not one I expected to see here.

As expected, ACC, SEC, Big 12, PAC-12 holding down the fort in the Top 25.

How about Freshman Tommy White from NC State?!

For the second consecutive week, NC State freshman Tommy White has been named one of Collegiate Baseball’s National Players of the week, announced by the publication on Monday.

After a sensational start to his career on Opening Weekend, White followed it up with another impressive performance at the plate last week, going 11-for-20 with four home runs and 17 runs batted in. He tallied two or more hits in four of his five outings and matched his career high in RBIs on Feb. 25 vs. Quinnipiac with six, as he hit a grand slam and two-run homer in back-to-back at bats.

He currently leads the NCAA with nine home runs, 20 hits and 29 RBIs, and ranks second in runs scored (18) and slugging percentage (1.412).

How about Freshman Tommy White from NC State?!

TOMMY TANKS!!! My 15yr old is now updating me weekly on his season.

Back