I respect your opinion and you can dIsagree all you want . I say the following in good humor and would be willing to discuss it should we ever meet. But, you are simply wrong. And your references to Porzingus and Embeid is laughable. Neither one can be mentioned in the same breath with Nate Thurmond and he wasn’t even the best player Wilt faced numerous times each season.
Yeah, what was I thinking naming guys like Porzingas and Embiid.... Wilt couldn’t beat Bill Russell and he was considered a PF.... 😜
Today’s game Wilt would have zero chance playing pick and roll 25’ from the rim and seriously doubtful that he’s have any chance defending Embiid in the post. Next you’re going to tell me Bob Cousy could compete with Curry or Klay but there was no 3 pt line 😇
Wilt was Wilt in his era....

Yeah, what was I thinking naming guys like Porzingas and Embiid.... Wilt couldn’t beat Bill Russell and he was considered a PF.... 😜
Today’s game Wilt would have zero chance playing pick and roll 25’ from the rim and seriously doubtful that he’s have any chance defending Embiid in the post. Next you’re going to tell me Bob Cousy could compete with Curry or Klay but there was no 3 pt line 😇
To be fair neither of those guys could play back then because the minute they got the ball and moved it would be a travel or palming. 😀

To be fair neither of those guys could play back then because the minute they got the ball and moved it would be a travel or palming. 😀
Touché!
Don’t get me started on the ‘killer crossover’ aka palming in Wilt’s era

No, Wilt’s Teams couldn’t beat the Celtics. And Embeid is still a poor attempt to reinforce your argument. It’s not like he’s even arguably dominating in the post in this era where Center position is SO WEAK compared to the past.

And trying to compare Cousy to Klay and Curry is nonsense. Cousy wasn’t a shooter.

With the old vs. new arguments going on here, I think everyone is underestimating the fact that the perimeter defense was way more physical in the old days. Now with rule adjustments, guards and athletic wings often get full speed runs at the basket. Love Wilt, but no chance he is as effective as he was with that small change. And the allowance of the euro-step. He’s in foul trouble a lot of nights.

With the old vs. new arguments going on here, I think everyone is underestimating the fact that the perimeter defense was way more physical in the old days. Now with rule adjustments, guards and athletic wings often get full speed runs at the basket. Love Wilt, but no chance he is as effective as he was with that small change. And the allowance of the euro-step. He’s in foul trouble a lot of nights.

Your comments reminded me of my favorite part of the Last Dance. Namely how MJ learned how to play against the Bad Boys. Mahorn, Rodman and Lambeir would solve that full speed run at the basket with the runner being knocked to the floor. The game had definitely evolved but I’m still going to say that Wilt was athletic enough to compete in any era and in any style of play.

Look up Wilt’s track and field stats. You may find them interesting.

Why are teams not wanting to finish the season? Was this an issue before today?

Because guys like Lebron and Doc Rivers think people really give a **** about what they think.

Tonight was a humbling time for them I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your comments reminded me of my favorite part of the Last Dance. Namely how MJ learned how to play against the Bad Boys. Mahorn, Rodman and Lambeir would solve that full speed run at the basket with the runner being knocked to the floor. The game had definitely evolved but I’m still going to say that Wilt was athletic enough to compete in any era and in any style of play.

Look up Wilt’s track and field stats. You may find them interesting.

The point about Wilt’s track and field prowess is difficult to ignore. He ran the 100 yard dash in 10.9 seconds. He triple jumped more than 50 feet. His shot put distance was recorded at 56 feet. He won the Big 8 high jump championship for three straight years. How many seven footers in the modern era could have done this? He was a transcendent athlete,

Now, how could his skills have translated to the modern NBA? He was not a great shooter. He certainly would be a devastating rim runner, better than Rudy Gobert. He would have a defensive presence at least similar to Rudy Gobert. That’s an all NBA player. I think that is at least his floor.

Reports are coming out that the Lakers and Clippers voted to end the NBA season. All other teams voted to continue play, The two L.A. teams walked out of the players meeting. The meeting did not end well.

This is becoming more interesting by the moment.

Reports are coming out that the Lakers and Clippers voted to end the NBA season. All other teams voted to continue play, The two L.A. teams walked out of the players meeting. The meeting did not end well.

Wow! It will be interesting to see if the league or even entire teams can put together a unified stance. All I know is that now that we’ve reached this point, the next step is critical for the direction that the league will head.

The point about Wilt’s track and field prowess is difficult to ignore. He ran the 100 yard dash in 10.9 seconds. He triple jumped more than 50 feet. His shot put distance was recorded at 56 feet. He won the Big 8 high jump championship for three straight years. How many seven footers in the modern era could have done this? He was a transcendent athlete,

Now, how could his skills have translated to the modern NBA? He was not a great shooter. He certainly would be a devastating rim runner, better than Rudy Gobert. He would have a defensive presence at least similar to Rudy Gobert. That’s an all NBA player. I think that is at least his floor.

And his quarter and half times were not too shabby either. Would have been quite the decathlete.

He didn’t need to be a great shooter so it’s hard to discredit him by saying he couldn’t shoot and wouldn’t be able to play in today’s game for that reason. Why are visions of Manute Bol dancing in my head? We’ll never know if he could have developed any kind of shot.

It also is reported that Wilt registered the highest vertical jump on record for an NBA player, 48 inches. Micheal Jordan’s was 46 inches.

Wow. Whatever the result, it could likely have long term implications for the future of professional basketball.

LeBron seemed like he was fired up about more than just basketball on Monday. Obviously this is a huge issue as the recent events upon my initial first read of accounts does not seem to be very good.

In watching Wilt when I was a kid and just remembering what I saw I'd say he did not seem as limber as many of today's big.Perhaps he was older then. It is hard to compare eras with training, conditioning etc. AD is an example of someone who could stay him away from the basket and blow by him. The Greek Freak would too. DeAndre Jordan reminds me a bit of Wilt. For all of the stats on his vertical I do not remember him as someone who had to get off the floor to dunk. Of course he was 7'0.
The fact is he scored 100 points in a game. That is one that will never be broken.

There has been tension among players about whether they felt it was an appropriate time to be playing since before they went down to the bubble. I'm sure part of that was safety, but it seemed like it was more about social injustice based on what I read a couple months ago.

Some players felt it would be better to sit out entirely. Some felt (and NBA owners, Adam Silver etc. pushed the idea) that they could use it as a platform for speaking out. Obviously the majority of the players (or at least the Players Union) decided it would be best to play. Now, that dynamic could be shifting.

Now that the nba is done, I wonder if the NHL and mlb will follow suit....and if they do will that force the nfl to cower and give in? Will the pga as well?

Now that the nba is done, I wonder if the NHL and mlb will follow suit....and if they do will that force the nfl to cower and give in? Will the pga as well?

Cower and give in to what? A protected right to peacefully protest.

Cower and give in to what? A protected right to peacefully protest.

It’s a protected right that prevents the government from stopping you. It has nothing to do with protesting at your job.

It’s a protected right that prevents the government from stopping you. It has nothing to do with protesting at your job.

I guess what I don't understand is what is meant by the NBA being done. You are right the NBA could cut every player that protests but then they wouldn't have the best players in the world. Of course they are going to listen to their players.

A while back Chuck got berated because he said he is not a role model. Lebron was told to shut up and dribble. Jordan is criticized for not speaking up on current events. There is a moving target on what an influential athlete is "allowed" to speak for or against.

I guess what I don't understand is what is meant by the NBA being done. You are right the NBA could cut every player that protests but then they wouldn't have the best players in the world. Of course they are going to listen to their players.

A while back Chuck got berated because he said he is not a role model. Lebron was told to shut up and dribble. Jordan is criticized for not speaking up on current events. There is a moving target on what an influential athlete is "allowed" to speak for or against.

They’re allowed to speak on anything they want. However just like the rest of us, you have to understand the consequences of your words. That’s why Jordan didn’t talk about things during his career because he knew he A. Wasn’t perfect and B. wanted money from everyone, not just the ones who agreed with him.

The players can say what they want to say. The league can do what they want to do. They are not going to punish anyone because they’re held tightly around the grapefruits. We all know that. But it doesn’t change the fact that this is going to alienate people. There is obviously no disputing that.

Wow! It will be interesting to see if the league or even entire teams can put together a unified stance. All I know is that now that we’ve reached this point, the next step is critical for the direction that the league will head.
To the bottom of the ocean would be appropriate.

They’re allowed to speak on anything they want. However just like the rest of us, you have to understand the consequences of your words. That’s why Jordan didn’t talk about things during his career because he knew he A. Wasn’t perfect and B. wanted money from everyone, not just the ones who agreed with him.

The players can say what they want to say. The league can do what they want to do. They are not going to punish anyone because they’re held tightly around the grapefruits. We all know that. But it doesn’t change the fact that this is going to alienate people. There is obviously no disputing that.

Really? I think a lot of people are supportive of taking a stand against police violence and racism.

Quite frankly, I think NBA players not only aren't worried about losing the fans that aren't anti-racist and anti-police violence, but they actually welcome it and prefer it. They have said as much rather explicitly.

To the bottom of the ocean would be appropriate.
With an average franchise value of $1.9B, I’d probably die before finishing a list of things that are less likely to happen.

Back