I saw Dave LaRue playing with Steve Morse several years ago, they opened for Kansas. It took two crew members to carry Dave's bass pedal board on and off the stage. Crazy big.
the Steve Morse Band " Southern Steel" is a regular listen as I walk the battle Dachshund.

Yep. At last check, I have ...
Oh, man, not even going to get into instrument counting. :ROFLMAO:
I play guitar, bass, drums, piano, organ, violin, viola, cello, contrabass, trumpet, trombone, recorder, shakuhachi, and voice. Wife plays violin, piano, and guitar. We have multiple guitars, basses, drums kits, keyboards, violins, and violas ... and I don't even want to think about how many amps and cabs I've acquired over the years. We have more stuff than many small music stores.

Had a basement jam with some friends Friday night, the usual suspects. 2 guitars using 40 & 50 watt Marshall combos, me on bass using an ancient (and ungodly heavy) Peavey Combo 300, a 5 piece drum kit (all a good drummer really needs, fight me), and a small PA for the 3 guys that sing. Butchering the usual songs, as is our style.

So, since I have tinnitus (my own damn fault) I use plugs all the time. Mostly the foam Hearos type. This is a good and bad thing. It save my ears, but makes it hard for me to hear myself except as kind of a mushy low tone. I can hear the guitar amps just fine. Well, Friday, I decided to experiment a bit. I have my amp tilted back about 30 degrees and leaning against the wall, so it put the toes of my foot against the front edge of the cab (for no apparent reason), and could feel the vibrations of the amp. And it made me hear myself better. "Hmm, that's interesting." I thought. So, I dragged a small unused combo amp to the front right corner of my amp, plopped myself down on it, and Shazam, I could hear myself perfectly in the mix. I felt like I played so muck better that night, simply because I could hear myself. (Good notes and clams!)

So, now I'm looking at some seating options for myself, to park in front of my amp.

That's all I have.

There are companies that make a vibrating mat you can plug into your amp's speaker out that work the same way. You stand on it, and feel the bass.

There are also bass shaker devices you can mount to a chair or stool for the same effect. Very popular with drummers who always complain they can't hear their kick drum.

Yup.

42 years since my first performance on a drumset. I actually just play a 4-piece.

View attachment 9084849

Mainly the v-drums and low volume zildjians these days.
I would love to have a decent digital drum kit to play around with. I have a Yamaha DD-55, but it's almost more of a toy than a proper drum kit. Fun to mess around with and the sounds are okay, but it doesn't feel like playing real drums at all. The one nice thing about it is that it's compact and fits easily on a closet shelf when I'm not using it.

DD55.png

Yup.

42 years since my first performance on a drumset. I actually just play a 4-piece.

View attachment 9084849

Mainly the v-drums and low volume zildjians these days.
I have always liked the V-Drums, but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on some. One day....

I have always liked the V-Drums, but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on some. One day....
My wife bought them for me pre child when we were in a townhome. Paired with low volume cymbals, they're amazing.

I never could warm up to "e-cymbals" especially the hi hats/trigger pedal.

I never could warm up to "e-cymbals" especially the hi hats/trigger pedal.
That really is the worst part of every e-drum set I've ever played. The HH pedal on my Alesis kit is just aggravating at best. No feel, and no "just right" spots.

For all you drummers - here's a lot video of our kids that was filmed by Vic Firth (they're one of our program sponsors).

I love my V-Concert kit I bought years ago (the image is how it came when I bought it, purple powder coated rack and all). I have added more drums and cymbal pads, swapped out the ride pad for a swinging pad, expanded the drum brain memory and added more kits to it. I don't ever see me getting rid of it. I still have my Pearl acoustic kit as well. The more the merrier, right ?

Roland.jpg

I love my V-Concert kit I bought years ago (the image is how it came when I bought it, purple powder coated rack and all). I have added more drums and cymbal pads, swapped out the ride pad for a swinging pad, expanded the drum brain memory and added more kits to it. I don't ever see me getting rid of it. I still have my Pearl acoustic kit as well. The more the merrier, right ?

View attachment 9085894
Have you tried low volume cymbals? I especially love the hi hats compared to a pad/pedal.

Have you tried low volume cymbals? I especially love the hi hats compared to a pad/pedal.

I have not tried the low volume cymbals. I need to look into those. Thanks !

I play harmonica. Prefer the blues, but have played in three different bands that have had a mixture of folk, blues, country, rock, gospel and American songs on the playlist.

I still have my Pearl acoustic kit as well. The more the merrier, right ?
Yeah, I still have by 8-piece Tama kit, too. I haven't actually played it in probably 10 years. I keep thinking I should sell it, but I just can't seem to make myself part with it.

My band. We actually haven't played in like 2 years but we had a lot of fun for about 10 years. I am the lead singer and guitarist. We are a 3 piece power trio that plays mostly original music....

Got a group text from my buddy that I had played in bands with for years. His son is an amazing musician and is spending this summer playing out with his friend as a covers duo, and he is in the process of getting a PA for his son to use. He casually mentioned that the PA would be in his basement along with his amps and his son's drums, so he was up for a jam session or two... the other guys we used to be in the band with immediately responded that they were up for some get togethers. So it looks like I'd better pick up a pair of sticks and fire up the e-drums to get back in playing shape :p

Got a group text from my buddy that I had played in bands with for years. His son is an amazing musician and is spending this summer playing out with his friend as a covers duo, and he is in the process of getting a PA for his son to use. He casually mentioned that the PA would be in his basement along with his amps and his son's drums, so he was up for a jam session or two... the other guys we used to be in the band with immediately responded that they were up for some get togethers. So it looks like I'd better pick up a pair of sticks and fire up the e-drums to get back in playing shape :p

Do it and enjoy !!

Got to play some big band tunes at the Edith Farnsworth House, architectural design by Ludwig Miles van der Rohe.
edithfarsnworthhouse.org

27D60676-57D0-4C2B-A95B-8FA2310CB6B8.jpeg

Saw Buddy back in October. A true legend of the Blues.

I've been spending a lot more time practicing/playing guitar lately, finally shaking off the rust and making a little progress. I bought a Nux MG-30 multi-fx processor which was delivered today, and I spent tonight playing around with it and starting to create some patches. Fun little device, and sounds really good. It's great for late night practice with headphones, but can also plug it into an amp/FRFR speaker, or go direct to the board if you're the gigging type.

I've been spending a lot more time practicing/playing guitar lately, finally shaking off the rust and making a little progress. I bought a Nux MG-30 multi-fx processor which was delivered today, and I spent tonight playing around with it and starting to create some patches. Fun little device, and sounds really good. It's great for late night practice with headphones, but can also plug it into an amp/FRFR speaker, or go direct to the board if you're the gigging type.
The best and worst things about the processors are that I used to spend all of my time working on patches that sounded like an alien craft taking off and ended up with whole banks of sounds that at no point ever fit into a song - my band just used to roll their eyes at me :LOL:

Back