Motorola Droid & Android Thread

Kevin,
Everything I have red says that this program is a must have, so I downloaded it. So far I really like the phone. It has amazing potential and does so many things well. My only problem so far is email. Similar to the IPhone, it does email "ok", but when you are used to a Blackberry and get as much email as I do for my job, "ok" may not cut it. I will note that it does Gmail perfectly.

I am waiting for the update that is coming out now. Plus I am looking at a few different options to see about fixing it. Full feedback coming soon.

Cool. I was kind of expecting the Blackberry hangover if you may. And you may be right, it just may not work. I use Gmail and like you stated, it works perfect. I dont mean to get into it with CB_fierce but yeah that program is a battery saver. Must have app! Heres a few apps I like: Amazon, Google Finance, Google Sky (very cool), Handcent SMS (iphone like sms and you can change the color of the LED but its been a little buggy), MixZing Lite for a music player, Flixter for movies, paypal, Qik, SportsTap is excellent for sports scores but its another battery killer, Tipper, Weatherbug, Yellowbook and I found this one called WaveSecure that lets your lock your phone and even wipe it if you were ever to lose it. And all from a PC.

Thanks Kevin. It seems the pop3 email thing is a major bug going around the internet with many people having problems. Here is the issue. When the device is powered off then on, it works flawlessly. Emails download and emails get sent. However randomly the email server will just say loading messages and never pull any down. So you have to again power off and on your device. Gmail has no issues. Works perfectly. But this could be a major problem if not fixed in our 10 day trial.

I may have found a work around using Gmail for my THP and work emails. If that is the case, it would work very well. Lets see how that worked.

Right now the email thing is driving me crazy! I have a few different email accounts and none of them are all working at the same time. And now I can get emails on the phone but not my outlook or vice versa, I don't know what's going on. I hope JB finds a solution because the phone is really cool and I think it has so much to offer, but the email thing could be a series deal breaker for me.

I sometimes do some traveling for my other job and I must be able to access my emails. When my clients need me I have to respond ASAP or I could lose them.

UPDATE: It looks like the email thing might be somewhat fixed. I had to do what JB did and just have all my emails go to my gmail account. They can't have their own signatures like my BB did, but at least it seems to be working. Of course I am forwarding 4 email addresses to my gmail account so there is something like 4000 emails flodding my inbox right now....I guess I should have deleted more things haha.

Quick question, does anyone know how to mark all as read on the gmail account for the droid? I hate that I have to open each one to mark it as read. Thanks!!

Thanks for all the info everyone, sounds like this old BB ain't goin no where, lol. Who needs the battle?

Im actually not sure how to do that GG... I dont see an option anywhere to mark all read. Maybe because I dont have any unread emails?

Thanks for all the info everyone, sounds like this old BB ain't goin no where, lol. Who needs the battle?

The Droid is really cool and it does so many things it just doesn't do email like a BB. It's only been a day and I know there is so much more to learn so I wouldn't count it out just yet. The email thing works now through Gmail, the only draw back is that my multiple email addresses aren't in separate folders and as of right now I can only use one signature. Gmail hasn't made it possible to have more than 1 signature yet but everything I read said that could change in the future.

Im actually not sure how to do that GG... I dont see an option anywhere to mark all read. Maybe because I dont have any unread emails?

I can't find it either. It's not the end of the world but sometimes I will get a ton of emails at one time and it's nice to just have the option to 'mark all as read'

I personally didn't care much for the default email viewer. There is a great app called touchdown which has a full free demo for a few days.

I personally didn't care much for the default email viewer. There is a great app called touchdown which has a full free demo for a few days.

What is that app all about? I am really starting to like all the features of gmail I know it's just going to take some time to get used to everything. However, I am always open to learning about new apps, can you elaborate more on what that app does?

Its a different interface/calendar. Has a bit more of an outlookie feel to it with view and folder options, sorry I can't offer more detail at the moment. I'm on the way to the course :D

no problem I will look it up. Now that I have this gmail email thing working I am starting to LOVE the Droid! It has so many amazing features! I have gotten zero work done, instead I am just playing with the phone.

How is the voice recognition on the Droid? I heard you can say a keyword or whatever and it'll automatically do a search or look up your contacts for you. That's pretty neat :)

I have my business e-mail on windows mail and my personal is outlook express. I don't have a clue about gmail, never used it. Do the pictures compare to the BB? Not sure why it matters really because I spend my life on the road and have to text, (I know, I know, but I'm responsible for and too a lot of people and there questions).

I have my business e-mail on windows mail and my personal is outlook express. I don't have a clue about gmail, never used it. Do the pictures compare to the BB? Not sure why it matters really because I spend my life on the road and have to text, (I know, I know, but I'm responsible for and too a lot of people and there questions).

Gmail can work with most POP accounts. I believe it is only POP that Droid was having an issue with so if your email is something else it might work just fine, I am really not sure, I am really basic when it comes to my computer skills. Do you mean the camera pictures? Right now it's not that great, the pictures are fine with they come out but most of the time it has trouble focusing. They have an update that has already come out and is slowly being put on everyone's phones and that should take care of the problem. That's one really good thing about this phone, because it's google they get things done.

How's the internet browsing speed on the new Droid? I have the Blackberry Storm on Verizon's network and its not slow and its not bad either, but was just wondering if the Droid's interface is a lot faster to load the internet!

Its very good. Fast page loads. If you load the Dolphin browser from the app market you can do pinch and zoom.

It's definitely faster than the BB. When I turned the Wifi on it was just as fast as my home computer.

Wow....hmmm.....maybe I should trade in my Storm for the Droid :D

Wow....hmmm.....maybe I should trade in my Storm for the Droid :D

I have never used the storm so I can't really compare the two but so far I am honestly very impressed with this phone. I have said for a long time now that I refuse to use a touch screen phone and once I had a BB I said I would never change. With the amount of problems we were having with the Tour I decided to give this one a try and I am very glad I did. I am actually starting to like the touch screen, but do find myself using the slide out keyboard for longer messages.

I did the update manually for my Droid just now. The whole phone is much quicker and no lag at all. They moved some stuff around on the lock screen and changed the fonts. For some reason the clock and verizon logo are off center. Strange. Phone also sounds a lot better. But now when you pull up the app screen it doesnt go all the way to the top. Dont like that. The Google search bar moved down too and looks out of place. Battery life does seem much better from what I can tell so far.

Verizon wants you to wait for it to appear but you can still do manually thanks whoever figured it out. Its not too hard but you do have to have an app called Atro File Manager. Its a good app to have anyway, lets you browse through your phone and SD card easier. Go here for the directions - http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/12/08/dont-want-to-wait-for-the-motorola-droid-ota/

I just followed the instructions exactly and it worked like a charm.

Back