Most underrated album by a major artist

Yes - Big Generator
Def Leppard - On Through the Night

Arctic Monkeys - Favorite Worst Nightmare
I’m amazed you would class that as underrated. The hype around that album when it was released was insane!!!!

311 - Transistor
Arctic Monkeys - Favorite Worst Nightmare
Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg

These 3 albums will rock your socks off front to back. Bet very few have listened to them.

I think Arctic Monkeys just came out flat after Whatever People Say I Am, Thats What I'm Not - that album took it through the roof

Transistor was a different type of music that many were not on board after the blue album was so popular. I think its got some good tracks and one of their most popular tracks Beautiful Disaster.

Wolfmother - never listened.

I’m amazed you would class that as underrated. The hype around that album when it was released was insane!!!!
In America though hardly anyone knows Arctic Monkeys and if they do they only know AM. Unfortunately most American rock music fans live under the pretense that no good rock music has been written for at least 20 years and thus they have no reason to listen to anything newer than that. It amazes me how many supposed big time rock fans i know have never heard of The Black Keys and they are Ameeican as it gets.

I think Arctic Monkeys just came out flat after Whatever People Say I Am, Thats What I'm Not - that album took it through the roof

Transistor was a different type of music that many were not on board after the blue album was so popular. I think its got some good tracks and one of their most popular tracks Beautiful Disaster.

Wolfmother - never listened.
I think The Blue Album is not nearly as good as the 3 that followed it. Transistor, Soundsystem, and From Chaos.

If you like psychedelic rock you should definitely check out Wolfmother. Try Cosmic Egg, Pyramid, Voyage.

I think The Blue Album is not nearly as good as the 3 that followed it. Transistor, Soundsystem, and From Chaos.

If you like psychedelic rock you should definitely check out Wolfmother. Try Cosmic Egg, Pyramid, Voyage.
311 really changed late 90s early 2000s into a new direction - Blue transistor and Grassroots are good Soundsystem ok and chaos struggle. Wont hijack the thread longer.

"Clarity" - Jimmy Eat World

While emo fans know how great that album is, the fact that it isn't mentioned among the all-time best from any genre is damn near criminal.

311 really changed late 90s early 2000s into a new direction - Blue transistor and Grassroots are good Soundsystem ok and chaos struggle. Wont hijack the thread longer.
Ooh,

Soundsystem has Large In The Margin, Flowing, Come Original, Sever, Eons

From Chaos has You Wouldn't Believe, Amber, I'll Be Here Awhile, Champagne

Not sure about all that. To me Grassroots has a lot of the elements of 311, but on Music and then definitely on the blue album is when they got in a songwriting and composition groove and started doing their best work. I am a huge 311 fan. Seen them 8 or 9 times live. I love talking music too.

Any Tom Petty album and John Mayer. Mayer is a world class guitarist.

For me it would be:

One Take Radio Sessions - Mark Knopfler
Jackson Browne - Jackson Browne
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Last edited:
Smoke From A Distant Fire by the Sandford/Townsend Band. Only album they recorded. Great record - little promotion.

"Clarity" - Jimmy Eat World

While emo fans know how great that album is, the fact that it isn't mentioned among the all-time best from any genre is damn near criminal.

Listened to this last night, front to back. Holy crap how did I not hear this earlier?

Johnny Winter---Still Alive and Well

Johnny_Winter_-_Still_Alive_and_Well_Coverart.jpg

Alice Cooper--Love It To Death

love it to death.jpg

Joan Jett--Bad Reputation

bad reputation.jpg

Dianna Ross----Lady Sings the Blues

lady sings the blues.jpg

Yeah, I love rock and roll

Listened to this last night, front to back. Holy crap how did I not hear this earlier?
That album got me through college. It's amazing.

I'm probably off base here (usually am) but I'll say most albums by Norah Jones... her first album was released by Blue Note records... a tiny little label and they pressed 25,000 albums expecting that to be the max she would sell... and that album went double platinum. Sure, that's not under rated but I never hear her in discussions about music...

Adore - Smashing Pumpkins

Amnesiac - Radiohead.

Lost Songs - David Gray.

Love all these albums too.

Adore - Smashing Pumpkins

Amnesiac - Radiohead.

Lost Songs - David Gray.

Love all these albums too.
I despised Adore. Maybe its because I'm a drummer and they'd gotten rid of Jimmy Chamberlin but it was also too electronic for my tastes.

Van Halen - Balance.

It was hugely overlooked and although it’s a completely subjective opinion, I think it was Eddie’s best tone ever. I think that wet/dry/wet rig with heavy use of the Eventide harmonizer sounded amazing. And Baluchitherium is the best instrumental track they ever recorded.

I despised Adore. Maybe its because I'm a drummer and they'd gotten rid of Jimmy Chamberlin but it was also too electronic for my tastes.

I didn't like it at first but it's aged well imo. And if we're talking underated in major artist catologue, Adore gets my vote.

Another that came to mind:

Love is Hell - Ryan Adams

LOVE that album. Maybe his best work of art, imo.

Back