Most Nervous You've Been for a Round

Back in 1995 a week before I got married me and some friends went to Pinehurst to see how much money we could spend. We had #2 on the third day and after hitting a few on the range we proceeded to the 1st. Tee. OMG there's 50 or 60 people just watching and we were playing from the tips. I hit it quick before I could think much and smoked the first drive of the day about 285 right down the middle. Shot 83, my caddie couldn't read putts for $***. That was a scary opening drive.

Local Dallas course teeing off with the former leader of the free world (43) ready to take a shot at me, which he did!! Not my best drive but it stayed in play.

Probably the singles round between @Tread23 and myself at the Rivalry presented by UST Mamiya.

Been a long time since I’ve been nervous. Anxious and excited yes, but not nervous like oh god I forgot how golf works. I think the last time was at Pebble 1st tee? It was raining, cold, windy, and the concern of the club going flying was a real thing cause it wasn’t raining at the range.

Tee shot was uh, heel adjacent. Closer to the fairway wood shaft than the actual heel it felt like. Freakin woof.

Been a long time since I’ve been nervous. Anxious and excited yes, but not nervous like oh god I forgot how golf works. I think the last time was at Pebble 1st tee? It was raining, cold, windy, and the concern of the club going flying was a real thing cause it wasn’t raining at the range.

Tee shot was uh, heel adjacent. Closer to the fairway wood shaft than the actual heel it felt like. Freakin woof.
Nothing like a bunted wood s***k to start the round

Nothing like a bunted wood s***k to start the round
Yeah.. Few four letter words were said. Just tried to get around the green and take my chance from there.

My first high school match which was a few weeks into the high school golf season my freshman year. The coach gave me the nod and the junior whose place I took was QB and co-captain of the football team and was not happy that the coach was having me, a 5’3” freshman, take his place on varsity. It was an 18 hole home match and since I was 15 and didn’t have a drivers license yet, I was supposed to catch a ride with one of the other 4 players on the team to the course which was less than two miles away. Nobody waited for me after the noon early release from school, maybe because they didn’t realize I couldn’t drive, or maybe because coach hadn’t told them I was playing the match. :)

I had to run to the golf course and showed up to an angry coach wondering why I was late. I explained to him that I had to run to the course because everyone had left and his only comment was don’t f*#K this up. I teed off less than two minutes later and with my heart racing about 160 bpm, proceeded to top the ball 70 yards down the fairway with our coach and another 20 people watching. It took me about 4 holes to calm down but I wound up breaking 80 and never flirted with giving up my spot on the varsity team again. I still reach back to that day as calming inspiration when I having those first tee jitters. :ROFLMAO:

With a few thp events under my belt:

Grandaddy 2021: nerves were definitely there being my first competition and first thp event.

Budget Champs 2023: we went out on ten and we weren't out first so the crowd was a wee bit smaller.
* @BuffaloPlunger and I crushed that first round too.

WWGC 24: I just stepped up, told my ball that you better be good, and it was just off the fairway into the left rough.

So, the most nervous within the events above:

Budget Champs 23; 18th Hole, Final Day:
@JB / (@ddec) mentions to @BuffaloPlunger and I that the 18th hole at Ballyhack is for the trophy. We tried so hard to not watch the leaderboard the last day and JB just razzles us after we finish up 17 during the cart ride upto 18th tee box.
blazinden tee talks didn't even help that ball find a fairway. Slicey to right behind the right side tree.

Last edited:
Teeing off at a Regional Rivalry event. It was one of the first events that was live streamed I think, but what made it worse is it was the NorCal SoCal match and there was some real needle here between the 2 teams before hand.

I've told the story on here before. First year golf tryouts. I'd worked on it all summer but had an accident about a week before and didn't have much skin on my right hand, left arm and leg, and didn't know if I'd be able to swing well.

Out in the first group. All eyes on. Even more so because I looked like a walking, seeping wound. Nervous as hell. Try to take it easy, put it OB right. (I never go right. Seriously. Draw player since 8 years old). Teeing 3, do it again. OB. Heart's thumping out of my chest now and I'm pretty much shaking in embarrassment and anger at this point. Tee 5 and keep it inside the stakes by a yard. Walk off the tee dejected and thinking my season was basically done before it got started.

Shook it off as best I could on the walk of shame down to my ball, made a 10 (par 5), and went 1 over the rest of the way to make the team.

My first THP match ever. It was me, @fuffle master and Austie Rollinson. I was shaking like a dog passing peach seeds.
Well, you did hit @JB’s cart twice. 😂

Amazing first experience. Remember like it was yesterday.

I've told the story on here before. First year golf tryouts. I'd worked on it all summer but had an accident about a week before and didn't have much skin on my right hand, left arm and leg, and didn't know if I'd be able to swing well.

Out in the first group. All eyes on. Even more so because I looked like a walking, seeping wound. Nervous as hell. Try to take it easy, put it OB right. (I never go right. Seriously. Draw player since 8 years old). Teeing 3, do it again. OB. Heart's thumping out of my chest now and I'm pretty much shaking in embarrassment and anger at this point. Tee 5 and keep it inside the stakes by a yard. Walk off the tee dejected and thinking my season was basically done before it got started.

Shook it off as best I could on the walk of shame down to my ball, made a 10 (par 5), and went 1 over the rest of the way to make the team.
That’s crazy! I had a similar thing happen in high school golf in a match.

First hole at our home course also a par 5 and snap hooked 2 in a row OB. Also made a 10 lol and went 2 over the rest of the way to salvage the day.

Fricken 10 to start the day was bruuuutal

With a few thp events under my belt:

Grandaddy 2021: nerves were definitely there being my first competition and first thp event.

Budget Champs 2023: we went out on ten and we weren't out first so the crowd was a wee bit smaller.
* @BuffaloPlunger and I crushed that first round too.

WWGC 24: I just stepped up, told my ball that you better be good, and it was just off the fairway into the left rough.

So, the most nervous within the events above:

Budget Champs 23; 18th Hole, Final Day:
@JB / (@ddec) mentions to @BuffaloPlunger and I that the 18th hole at Ballyhack is for the trophy. We tried so hard to not watch the leaderboard the last day and JB just razzles us after we finish up 17 during the cart ride upto 18th tee box.
blazinden tee talks didn't even help that ball find a fairway. Slicey to right behind the right side tree.
The rest is history

I'm a hack. But I've played a lot of league golf at two different clubs so I can generally channel my nerves.

But I have to admit at the WWGC last month at Briggs Ranch, the heart was pumping pretty fast. @KY Golfer and I were in the first group with the Budget Golf guys. At the THP events, pretty much every group is there on the first tee that first day. The forecaddies are all there as well. And of course it's all being reported back in the live thread.

Thankfully my teammate was a vet and he took the pressure off by taking the first shot for our team and putting us in play. That let me just focus and concentrate on putting a decent move on the ball and find the fairway.

My very first competitive round.

2019 club championship, champion flight, from the tips, 7,000+ yards.

The prior year, 2018, was my best year by far, hit a low index of 1.2. But, following a back injury and long layoff of nearly 10 months, the CC was looming. And, the game was still semi-solid but not nearly 2018 form.

I could literally feel my heartbeat in my neck leading up to my first tee shot. I'm retired NYPD and had to chastise myself in that I formerly "rolled around" with guys who had guns, knives, screw drivers, etc. Yet, within those moments, I was locked in (the reality of the moment and what might've been came later).

But, here I was, poopin' myself over a golf tee shot.

That 1st shot went very well, but I carded a first round 83. Two round CC, the next day, still nervous, my only goal was to break 80. 1st tee shot also went very well, and I was on my way to accomplishing my goal with a 79.

But dang, if that whole weekend didn't sap some time from my life...

Probably most nervous was at my first Club Championship about 20 years ago. There was like 20 people standing around 1st tee box and they announce name, very intimidating at the time. Luckily I hit probably my best drive ever on that hole.

Very close second was the 2028 Morgan Cup first tee shot of the experience. If I recall I had only played 2 rounds in almost 6 months as our courses at home had just opened and with new clubs, the nervousness was further escalated. Anyway ended up hitting it okay which was a relief.

Back