Most Nervous You've Been for a Round

bsbmike5

2024 Victory Cup with Mizuno #TeamVosh
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With a bunch of experiences coming up, and plenty of nervous participants, I figured it'd be a fun time to ask the round or first tee moment you were most nervous for. I haven't had the pleasure of a THP experience first tee yet (but will come September), and I'm sure the adrenaline will be pumping.

Mine was probably the 2nd round of my Player Ability Test when I was going for my Professional credentials back in the day. I played really well in my first round and I was so nervous for my second round and wanting to pass. I don't think that nervous feeling left until I holed out on 18.

Some honorable mentions:
-We had a march madness style match play event amongst assistant pros in New England when I was working in the industry. I got to play at The Country Club in Massachusetts and I was super nervous knowing I was playing somewhere so exclusive and against one of their staff
-Any 1st tee of a state am or USGA qualifier still gets me nerved up. I hope that feeling never goes away though! It means I care!

By far being the first team off the tee at the 2020 Morgan Cup while live streaming for everyone to see.

Very first THP Experience in 2017 on the first tee. I popped one up to left field live on THP YouTube, and got to hear @JB hit me with a one liner.

1st tee at the Grandaddy starting on a par 3 over water. Sank the birdie putt, but I was nervous as all get out. (It didn't end well for us :ROFLMAO: )

By far being the first team off the tee at the 2020 Morgan Cup while live streaming for everyone to see.
Very first THP Experience in 2017 on the first tee. I popped one up to left field live on THP YouTube, and got to hear @JB hit me with a one liner.

1st tee at the Grandaddy starting on a par 3 over water. Sank the birdie putt, but I was nervous as all get out. (It didn't end well for us :ROFLMAO: )
Having to tee off with a live stream going adds a whole other element!

Probably the first round of our Club Championship each year. I don't know why but I've just never played good during the first round and am pretty much out of it so I'm not nervous for the next two.

My opening tee shot at the 2017 Morgan Cup is still hooking somewhere over Tulsa. :ROFLMAO:

First THP event I was in with everyone there watching.

Being in a few THP events over the years now though, I don't get very nervous on the tee in front of others anymore. Doesn't mean the result is going to always be pretty, but it really helped me with nerves around others watching.

First tee at the 2021 Grandaddy

I was going to say Grandaddy 2022... I had not had nerves and anxiety like that in a LONG time..

Probably the first round of our Club Championship each year. I don't know why but I've just never played good during the first round and am pretty much out of it so I'm not nervous for the next two.
I've been there!

I was going to say Grandaddy 2022... I had not had nerves and anxiety like that in a LONG time..
I feel like with all the chaos of night one and then the fitting and then going to Hideaway...that's a lot of build up mounting to that one moment

Ice water in my veins. I remember leading up to my first Morgan Cup having a fear of how nervous I would be on the first tee. Instead, I stepped up and smacked the hell out of the ball and put it in the fairway.

Nerves, upset stomach, trying to find my way, not wanting to let my teammate down, not wanting to embarass myself.....

Grandaddy 2023 first tee after poor decisions the night before!

I've been there!
What surprising is how good my fairway percentage is for that first driver. Granted it's a wide fairway and I just bunt a driver so that I hopefully don't bring the fairway bunker into play. The nerves where off pretty fast but my play just hasn't been good.

First round of the goat cup no doubt.

Idk. Im not one to get nervous over golf. Excited might work better for me. I just don't have a problem playing golf with folks I never met before.

I once played in a charity tournament. Our foursome included both Greg, and Mike Maddux. That was pretty cool.

Earlier in the day, I warmed up next to Darius Rucker, which was also pretty neat.

First tee. Grandaddy 2022. Just wanted to catch it somewhere on the actual face of the club.

First tee. Grandaddy 2022. Just wanted to catch it somewhere on the actual face of the club.
I've definitely had those "just get it airborne" tee shots

Alternate shot 1st tee from Morgan Cup 2023 at Dormie. More stressful than the morning shamble tee shot because shamble had the security blanket of a partner tee that could be used.
Nowhere to hide on alt shot and the possibility of botching that shot and starting off in a hole was daunting.

I feel like with all the chaos of night one and then the fitting and then going to Hideaway...that's a lot of build up mounting to that one moment
Especially when THP has only won once in 10 tries 😅

It was the same for me. I usually don't take a divot with my driver, but I did that day. It still went 280ish in the fairway, which was a miracle in and of itself.

After the first tee shot, nerves were fine.

Back