Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I went to the chipping green last night and worked on some short game shots. I am very very rusty right now.

I went to the chipping green last night and worked on some short game shots. I am very very rusty right now.

It seems like something you have to practice a lot to stay sharp with for me. Same for you? My touch especially suffers.

me too bro, I honestly feel like thats where my game is struggling right now. I did do some chipping in my office yesterday for quite a while just to get some feel back

It seems like something you have to practice a lot to stay sharp with for me. Same for you? My touch especially suffers.

It is exactly the same for me. My short game tends to get much better after the winter lets up and I am able to practice more often.

Edit for One-T: My short game is seriously struggling right now. I think that is where I am losing most of my strokes these days. I envy you the ability to chip in your office.

It is exactly the same for me. My short game tends to get much better after the winter lets up and I am able to practice more often.

Stupid winter. Followed by stupid windy spring.

I drove by the new club last night to check out the practice facilities and they are sweet. Big range with a good number of greens to shoot at and a nice sized short game area with a bunker. Bring on the good weather. I'm going to live at that place this summer.

Finally after a week of being sick I finally went to the doctor and got all drugged up. Feeling much better already a day later, and I'm ready to do some light prep today, most likely short game practice. Supposed to be 50 degrees here today.

Nice, IN. I'll probably be over your way in the next month or two. We should meet up buddy.

Stupid winter. Followed by stupid windy spring.

I drove by the new club last night to check out the practice facilities and they are sweet. Big range with a good number of greens to shoot at and a nice sized short game area with a bunker. Bring on the good weather. I'm going to live at that place this summer.

My old home course had a 100 yards and in area. it was fantastic. I lived there myself.

Monday was rough!!!! 20-30 mph winds but still no excuse haha. I couldn't grip the club to save my life but think I got it figured out. If I can't grip it, I can't swing on plane. My instructor explained the grip will always determine my swing path and that the stronger I have my grip the more off plane I get. Yesterday was an improvement but the driver is 1/4 lol. My Mashie came alive though. I've never hit it so pure. My 5i was consistantly in the middle of the clubface but I was pushing everything or a slice which is said will happen until I learn to release my hands.

it's coming along though. I'm trying to figure out how to post my before swing video through my playbook right now.

I have a feeling more rough times are ahead but I'm determined to stick with the change.

Good job, Yoccos. You bought a few lessons, right?

I should be getting in some wind practice today. 25to 30 mph winds with 35 to 40 mph gusts today.

Monday was rough!!!! 20-30 mph winds but still no excuse haha. I couldn't grip the club to save my life but think I got it figured out. If I can't grip it, I can't swing on plane. My instructor explained the grip will always determine my swing path and that the stronger I have my grip the more off plane I get. Yesterday was an improvement but the driver is 1/4 lol. My Mashie came alive though. I've never hit it so pure. My 5i was consistantly in the middle of the clubface but I was pushing everything or a slice which is said will happen until I learn to release my hands.

it's coming along though. I'm trying to figure out how to post my before swing video through my playbook right now.

I have a feeling more rough times are ahead but I'm determined to stick with the change.

Changing always sucks until it becomes ingrained. Keep at it man. You are going to be on fire by the MC.

I should be getting in some wind practice today. 25to 30 mph winds with 35 to 40 mph gusts today.

Lame. It's windy as hell here today too. Good luck Smallie.

Good job, Yoccos. You bought a few lessons, right?

Sure did Hawk. I have 4 more in this series but will be doing another 5. I could see myself having 15 or more lessons with Ryan. Whats cool are these two simple changes (while reaking havoc now) are pretty simple in all reality. Weaker grip and a more upright swing plane. I then cut through the ball (like you see tiger doing when he is doing his pre shot routine). The times I struggle on the range are directly related to my grip lol.

I know with enough practice this swing will be like second nature. Its so easy to remember and is the same for every club in my bag (except the putter haha). I'm hoping I'll be in the 70's this year.

so you're going to be Dr Knockdown today?

No doubt in my mind that you can do that, Tmex. I like the simple approach. I probably make it sound more confusing than it really is, but that's why I like my pro as well. I probably ask him more questions than I should. I asked him quick about the driver last week and he basically said what you did - it's the same as the iron work we've been doing.

No doubt in my mind that you can do that, Tmex. I like the simple approach. I probably make it sound more confusing than it really is, but that's why I like my pro as well. I probably ask him more questions than I should. I asked him quick about the driver last week and he basically said what you did - it's the same as the iron work we've been doing.

I dont think you do at all Hawk. We have to ask questions. It shows that we're trying to figure it out and we also have to be able to self evaluate on the course if things go wrong. I think its because I have a solid base in some areas that we just had to tweak the plane, release of my left hand and grip. next will be aiming and what not haha.

I dont think you do at all Hawk. We have to ask questions. It shows that we're trying to figure it out and we also have to be able to self evaluate on the course if things go wrong. I think its because I have a solid base in some areas that we just had to tweak the plane, release of my left hand and grip. next will be aiming and what not haha.

I do agree that it's helped to have a somewhat decent to base to start with. Saves time and money too. I guess those 12,000 range balls over the last two years were worth something haha.

I ask my pro questions all the time and they seem to like it to be honest. I think it shows that you are serious and care about the game and it will also help them see how your mind works. Sometimes, I can't feel what they are telling me to do and I talk it over with them so it makes sense to me.

I do agree that it's helped to have a somewhat decent to base to start with. Saves time and money too. I guess those 12,000 range balls over the last two years were worth something haha.

Exactly dude!!!! He's all about making it simple and maximizing your shots you take. I'm now almost comfortable with what I need to do and I'll be hitting 3 balls with a club, go chip/putt then doing the same with a different club. I just have to get comfy with the grip first. It just feels wondering crushing balls like you've never done before.

I ask my pro questions all the time and they seem to like it to be honest. I think it shows that you are serious and care about the game and it will also help them see how your mind works. Sometimes, I can't feel what they are telling me to do and I talk it over with them so it makes sense to me.

They love this dude. He was telling me he gets worried when someone doesnt ask. The only he said that irked him is when students would try and modify what he teached to fit them. He said why even take lessons then?

One thing I need to work into my practice routine is finishing strong and then stopping. He always gets to me to hit a few killed shots and then shuts me down right away. Then I feel positive about the whole thing. Unlike my last practice session when I was doing great, but got tired and finished like crap. Made me feel negative about the session even though I hit the ball well for a good portion of the time.

One thing I need to work into my practice routine is finishing strong and then stopping. He always gets to me to hit a few killed shots and then shuts me down right away. Then I feel positive about the whole thing. Unlike my last practice session when I was doing great, but got tired and finished like crap. Made me feel negative about the session even though I hit the ball well for a good portion of the time.

Thats some good advice Hawk.... Thats one of the hardest things to do!

I can't wait to start up lessons again. I have some serious things to work on. Hawk you are right, when you finish on some good shots you walk away thinking "man that was a great lesson" but when you hit bad ones at the end it just leaves a sour taste in your mouth

I could get behind this way of thinking. Of course the way I've been hitting the ball lately I would only be on the practice range for 5 minutes before closing up shop.

I'm starting to hate where I live, it's convienent as heck for work but not for anything else. A solid hour to the nearest facility, and that makes it hard to get a steady routine going. In the summer months it's simple to get out in the yard and swing wedges to work on the simple aspects of the swing. Anyhow, nobody really wants to read my rambling I just wanted to get it out.

Few weeks away from the Golftec lessons formally starting up again but somebody asked what our approach to the MC was. To me the MC is a mountain. I've got until the end of July to climb so that in July I can hang with 22 other awesome dudes plus one guy from Ohio and enjoy the view.

Back