Mizuno JPX923 Irons

I got a little twitchy at the 3 week mark with mine last year, and then different unruly around 4 weeks.

It was totally worth the wait though.
It's making it a little easier now that I'm back where I won't be playing for at least a few weeks. Also, this is what my wife thought was my wedge. 🤣

1680526748952912089274432964079.jpg

Anyone playing the 923 Hot Metals with a lighter Reg flex steel shaft? If so which one, shaft did you go with? How is the launch? I hit the 7i with the Neo shaft and the ball was coming in pretty flat and borderline too low spin for me.

I wish that Mizuno offered the Elevate MPH 85 or 95. I have hit the 950GH Neo a few times but it just doesn't seem to gel with me like I did the modus 105R a few years back.

Played a few rounds with the 923 HMP's now. These are just exceptional irons. Well done Mizuno.
The Wolf Of Wall Street Clap GIF - The Wolf Of Wall Street Clap Clapping GIFs

I finally got my 923HL iron in the "Dirt" this weekend and I don't think I have ever been so confident over a set of irons as I am with the 923HL
My plan of getting in the fall and working with them in the dome in the winter I believe really paid off.
In two rounds I didn't really hit an iron that was off the mark or didn't go where I thought it would.
And with the correct weight, it's Aim and Swing. I don't even think about it.
I hit a 6i over water on Friday that in years past, would have caused me consternation. Not with this set, Line it up and swing.
Couldn't be happier with my decision with these Irons.
I'm so excited to see how these perform over the summer - I think I'm going to have some fun!

I will have a personal update coming from several rounds with the HMP paired with Recoil Dart shafts.

Should be tomorrow after I get a bit more data.

Built this set up the day before travel to Shaft Up with UST Mamiya. 5-PW and added the Hot Metal Series GW to it as well, which transitioned right into a S23 52°.

No swings right to the course, which led to a first round getting used to lengths, coming from OL Forged Tec irons. But I settled in pretty quickly.

The GW is fantastic and really brings a more seamless transition to the wedges, which is something that I really enjoyed.

Moving into the irons, the first round I was really coming up short with everything and I was a bit concerned. We only played 7 holes as we waited for participants to arrive. But strikes were solid. In fact better than I expected, and the transition period was quick. The sound off the short and clean Briggs Ranch fairways was deep, full and very little crack, which made them feel soft and effortless. Yet at the same time powerful.

Moving to day 2, distances were back. I was hitting numbers, and confidence had set in. Two shots in particular stood out during this fun competition round. My partner missed off the tee so we played mine. We were 155 out, and the green was kind of nuts. Danny drove up and said it doesn’t look like it, but there is room left of the pin and short was better than long. I grabbed my 8 iron, which is my 150 club and hit it perfectly on my line about 10 feet left of the pin. Distance was spot on the number and it trickled right down to the pin leaving a 2 ft kick in birdie. Second one was a par 3 later in the round that was playing 172. I grabbed the 6 iron and took a smooth swing that never left the line and hit at 175 and backed up about 2 yards leaving a 5 ft birdie.

By round 3, it was already as if I had been playing these irons for months. That is seriously the best compliment I can give them.

Great write up. It’s a true testament to how effortless the HMP’s are to play. I’ve been saying it for months and glad to hear you had a similar experience.
The GW is fantastic and really brings a more seamless transition to the wedges, which is something that I really enjoyed.
This is the part that really stood out to me. I’ve been worried about the transition. I need to just order the darn GW. I’m complaining about a 15-20y gap between PW and 50° way too often and it’s starting to have a large effect in my shots into some greens on my home course. I’m having to try and plan around having anything over around 110 to 130 in and it sucks. That’s no way to play golf.

Great write up. It’s a true testament to how effortless the HMP’s are to play. I’ve been saying it for months and glad to hear you had a similar experience.

This is the part that really stood out to me. I’ve been worried about the transition. I need to just order the darn GW. I’m complaining about a 15-20y gap between PW and 50° way too often and it’s starting to have a large effect in my shots into some greens on my home course. I’m having to try and plan around having anything over around 110 to 130 in and it sucks. That’s no way to play golf.
You might get some crowding with the 50°, so it could lead to reworking your wedges, but I can say it’s a fantastic club.

You might get some crowding with the 50°, so it could lead to reworking your wedges, but I can say it’s a fantastic club.
Yeah, I wouldn’t mind reworking the wedges. I’ve permanently benched the 58° because of the grind I selected (X) doesn’t match well with my swing and usual course conditions. Live and learn.

I don’t know a lot about this but is it possible to bend T22’s a degree or two? If so I could make them 52° and 56° I feel like that could be good.

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind reworking the wedges. I’ve permanently benched the 58° because of the grind I selected (X) doesn’t match well with my swing and usual course conditions. Live and learn.

I don’t know a lot about this but is it possible to bend T22’s a degree or two? If so I could make them 52° and 56° I feel like that could be good.
Yes you can bend a couple.
It does change bounce, but many golfers wouldn’t notice all that much.

Yes you can bend a couple.
It does change bounce, but many golfers wouldn’t notice all that much.
Good to know! Now I just have to talk to my friend club builder extraordinaire @Golfers Anonymous to agree to help me with this. Maybe lunch after our next round together will be enough. :p

The 923s feel so good to be sure when I tried them in a bay. Really not sure what else they can do with this line at this point!

Mizuno had a demo day at my course the other day. I didn’t go with the intent to purchase, just to check them out and compare to my current 919 Forged to see what I might be missing. I had limited time so only was going to do a Forged vs Forged comparison, so didn’t try the HM offerings.

I was very happy the cart had my same shafts and they set up the club to match my current lie angle - felt like we had a nice apples to apples comparison.

While they didn’t have any launch monitors for hard stats, it was clear the ball speeds were much higher with the 923. 7i was going 180 vs my normal 165.

As far as sound/feel, to me, they were more clicky and less buttery than my 919F. The fitter attributed it to the thinner face without getting into any forged material comparisons.

If I liked the feel more, I would have walked away with the set. Sticking with the 919F, for now. I am open to giving these another shot to see if I have a different/better experience with the feels.

Good to know! Now I just have to talk to my friend club builder extraordinaire @Golfers Anonymous to agree to help me with this. Maybe lunch after our next round together will be enough. :p
Bending the X strong will make it more of a nightmare for you as it will dig more often though so that one thing to keep in mind.

Was going thigh my Shot Scope data, and I could get used to a 189 yard 6 iron. Unfortunately, it was on a 160 yrd par 3.😂

Yardages are taking a little too trust, hopefully the X5 will help with that. Agree completely with JB on the sound, very different than the Z745s I came from, but enjoyable in a different way, very deep and solid sounding. My swing has been less than solid, but solid strikes are so satisfying.

I've got the standard HM, I suppose might be important. S300 105G, 1" long. Not I want to try recoils in them even more!

Bending the X strong will make it more of a nightmare for you as it will dig more often though so that one thing to keep in mind.
No, I won’t be bending the x it would be bending with 50 to 52 and 54 to 56. 58° gets thrown in the woods. 😜

@JB, what's your wedge setup? I went with the 923 gap, S23 52, and T22 56 & 60. I like it, other than I'm beginning to think I have the wrong grinds for around the greens here with the T22s. Loved them when I played in Louisiana, not so much here. Definitely need more time with them though, probably more an issue with the archer.

@JB, what's your wedge setup? I went with the 923 gap, S23 52, and T22 56 & 60. I like it, other than I'm beginning to think I have the wrong grinds for around the greens here with the T22s. Loved them when I played in Louisiana, not so much here. Definitely need more time with them though, probably more an issue with the archer.
S23 52°
Jaws Raw 56°
RTX 6 60°

I believe the 923 gap wedge designed for HMP , HM and HM HL is 48* loft .....the one that says quad cut grooves

16828022107156104168444670625163.jpg16828022374364956460012543410415.jpg

Back