This is my thought as well. He resigned to help the team that drafted him try and win. It is not his fault that the Angels were woefully inept at ever developing any pitching during his tenure. It's also not his fault they haven't traded him to a contender for a boat load of prospects to try and rebuild.

I am a huge fan and it sucked to hear he is hurt again. Unfortunately his body is now failing him. And to those who post "it's all about the money"... if that's true why was he crying while talking to media? MLB contracts are guaranteed and he is getting paid regardless. He cares, he wants to be out there. I wish all athletes were that way.
I don't think it's a problem if it's about money. He cares, he wants to play, but he also probably likes playing for that franchise in that city for that salary. No shame at all!

I have no problem with him wanting to play his entire career with the Angels. Many great players in professional sports spent their entire careers on teams that did not win championships. I like Trout and hate to see all the injuries pop up in the past several years. Seems like a very genuine guy and is one hell of a telent when health permits him to stay on the field.

What are your thoughts on Mike Trout?

To me, he doesn't seem like a guy that wants the big spot light. I don't want to say that he doesn't care about winning, because I'm sure he does, but spending your whole career with a team like the Angels.....smallish market team (there's only 1 big team in L.A.) kinda sends that message.

I love Trout, he is my favorite non-Phillie player, it sucks to see him injured again.

What could have been....It seems like he will go down as the best player to never win.
LOL @ calling the Angels a smallish market team

I think it was a guy who showed loyalty to the team who drafted him and expecting them to build around him.

It isn't like the Angels haven't spent money in his tenure, they have just spent it in the wrong places - Rendon, Pujols, Jared Weaver extension

Payroll Rankings

2023 - 6th
2022 - 11th
2021 - 7th
2020 - 10th
2019 - 6th
2018 - 7th
2017 - 7th
2016 - 5th

A generational talent. I think I’m bothered more by the fact that he has had injuries than I am by the fact that he plays for the Angels.

It could be as simple as he really likes where he lives. Or maybe he doesn't like change. Or maybe he's stubborn and thinks he can build something from the ground up.
He's building a golf course in NJ. My guess is that's where he'll retire to. NY area teams could garner his services. But at this point not sure anyone willing to take that chance with his injury history.

tough to bring up ryan sandberg and george brett, definitely different generations. we all have our opinions, I just wish he would go somewhere where he could win....at least make the playoffs.

when it comes to L.A. the Angels are a small market team....lol

and he could pick where he wanted to play if he wanted to. he has a full no-trade clause, so he wouldn't get stuck in NY or SF if he didn't want to.

LOL @ calling the Angels a smallish market team

I think it was a guy who showed loyalty to the team who drafted him and expecting them to build around him.

It isn't like the Angels haven't spent money in his tenure, they have just spent it in the wrong places - Rendon, Pujols, Jared Weaver extension

Payroll Rankings

2023 - 6th
2022 - 11th
2021 - 7th
2020 - 10th
2019 - 6th
2018 - 7th
2017 - 7th
2016 - 5th
That will be going down each year. They spent money but on the wrong players

Screenshot_20240501-133252_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240501-133514_Chrome.jpg

If you would have asked me 6-7 years ago if Trout was going to retire the best player of all time, I would have said yes. To be honest, the same thing happened to Ken Griffey Jr. Most of Griffey's stats happened before he turned 30 and then injuries took over (seriously, look at his stats 1990-2000. He didn't retire until 2010).

No problem with Trout staying with the Angels his whole career, although he would have been fun to watch in the playoffs. The worst thing about him being on the Angel's is his utter dominance of the Mariners.

Back