AndyL0711

I Need To Play Some Golf!!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What are your thoughts on Mike Trout?

To me, he doesn't seem like a guy that wants the big spot light. I don't want to say that he doesn't care about winning, because I'm sure he does, but spending your whole career with a team like the Angels.....smallish market team (there's only 1 big team in L.A.) kinda sends that message.

I love Trout, he is my favorite non-Phillie player, it sucks to see him injured again.

What could have been....It seems like he will go down as the best player to never win.

The best to ever accomplish nothing.

Impossible to know his intentions.

All things considered, he's a great player and has been a great role model for a generation of young fans. His legacy will definitely suffer for being in Anaheim.

Impossible to know his intentions.

All things considered, he's a great player and has been a great role model for a generation of young fans. His legacy will definitely suffer for being in Anaheim.
He just seems content there. Doesnt seem to place too much pressure on himself. Just play ball, collect a check, live life being a good dude.

George Brett spent his entire career in Kansas City. I don't think wanting to spend an entire career with a small market team should be viewed as a negative.

Mike Trout is a professional baseball player. He likes working for the Angel's and they are paying him accordingly. He seems like a good enough guy. Maybe the most complete players of his generation.

He just seems content there. Doesnt seem to place too much pressure on himself. Just play ball, collect a check, live life being a good dude.
I know that's the reputation he's been given, but I think (like most things human) it probably simplifies things. Looks at a guy like Ryne Sandberg - a HOF second basemen and a Cubs icon, but that team never seriously contended during his tenure (aside from 84). At that time staying with a team was seen as a positive trait. He certainly wouldn't be the same in Chicago fan's eyes if he'd moved around a bunch.

I like Mike. What a waste of generational talent. Too injury-prone too. Good thing Ohtani got out. LAA is where careers go to die.

I know that's the reputation he's been given, but I think (like most things human) it probably simplifies things. Looks at a guy like Ryne Sandberg - a HOF second basemen and a Cubs icon, but that team never seriously contended during his tenure (aside from 84). At that time staying with a team was seen as a positive trait. He certainly wouldn't be the same in Chicago fan's eyes if he'd moved around a bunch.
Robin Yount has entered the chat.

I like Mike. What a waste of generational talent. Too injury-prone too. Good thing Ohtani got out. LAA is where careers go to die.
He's making $35,000,000 a year there. Seems like a good place to be.

Only played in over 100 games once in the last 5 seasons, unfortunately going downhill fast.

There was a time where committing to your team wasn't seen as a weakness, but rather a strength.

I commend any player who wants to start and finish their career with the team who brought them into the league. It's not his fault the team doesn't build enough around him to have a chance.

He's making $35,000,000 a year there. Seems like a good place to be.
He could make that anywhere and have a likelyhood higher than 0% of a WS ring. Pujols same

Ohtani leaving to win on a super team is the epitome of what is wrong with baseball though.

And here comes knee surgery. I like Mike. Respect his commitment to Angels.

He could make that anywhere and have a likelyhood higher than 0% of a WS ring. Pujols same
No he can't. The MLB pay structure is dumb and most teams have no chance to pay a player like that. He's not making $35,000,000 at 80% of the teams in the MLB. If he's happy in Anaheim, who cares? He's managed to sign a contract that pays him what he wants, and he's doing it where he wants.

We as fans don't like to think like this, but the truth is players aren't all chasing rings. They are looking to maximize dollar value. Professional golf has more than taught us this over the past 3 years. Legacy doesn't buy fishing boats.

Ohtani leaving to win on a super team is the epitome of what is wrong with baseball though.
Agree, but lets face it. Its money 1 and winning 2. These guys go for the money. If you can get the money and have a better chance of winning why wouldn't they.
No he can't. The MLB pay structure is dumb and most teams have no chance to pay a player like that. He's not making $35,000,000 at 80% of the teams in the MLB. If he's happy in Anaheim, who cares? He's managed to sign a contract that pays him what he wants, and he's doing it where he wants.

We as fans don't like to think like this, but the truth is players aren't all chasing rings. They are looking to maximize dollar value. Professional golf has more than taught us this over the past 3 years. Legacy doesn't buy fishing boats.
That wasn't my point. I get he can't go to tampa and make the same money. Duh

One of my favorites. Along with Harper.

Great talent on a bad team.

Wish he had won more, but I do appreciate the loyalty. I'm gonna guess his paychecks make him feel OK.

Agree, but lets face it. Its money 1 and winning 2. These guys go for the money. If you can get the money and have a better chance of winning why wouldn't they.
He'd make bank anywhere he went though

He's definitely in the 'funny money' contract status.

It could be as simple as he really likes where he lives. Or maybe he doesn't like change. Or maybe he's stubborn and thinks he can build something from the ground up.

There was a time where committing to your team wasn't seen as a weakness, but rather a strength.

I commend any player who wants to start and finish their career with the team who brought them into the league. It's not his fault the team doesn't build enough around him to have a chance.

Yeah i don't like oversimplifying things but i look at it like this also. This is his JOB. I'm sure he wants to win but maybe he likes where he lives, maybe he likes the organization....maybe he doesn't want to live in Texas or Chicago or NY or wherever.

It's really the fans and media that decided that titles were the only thing we were ever going to measure people on.

There's something to be said for giving it the college try with the team that drafted you. Even if you don't achieve it.....Frankly i'd probably think higher of like a Kevin Durant if he did that versus signing somewhere just for a title.

That wasn't my point. I get he can't go to tampa and make the same money. Duh
Because he's making the money he wants and doing it where he wants to. That's awesome.

This is my thought as well. He resigned to help the team that drafted him try and win. It is not his fault that the Angels were woefully inept at ever developing any pitching during his tenure. It's also not his fault they haven't traded him to a contender for a boat load of prospects to try and rebuild.

I am a huge fan and it sucked to hear he is hurt again. Unfortunately his body is now failing him. And to those who post "it's all about the money"... if that's true why was he crying while talking to media? MLB contracts are guaranteed and he is getting paid regardless. He cares, he wants to be out there. I wish all athletes were that way.

Back