Michelle Wie - Really?

NikeGolf

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
I've always been a fan of Wie's talent. I think she can be the next big thing for women's golf. I've never thought of her as the most intelligent girl that I've ever seen, but nonetheless.

That being said. Did anyone see yesterdays Kia LPGA final day? Wie hit a shot out of the cusp of water on a hole (11, I believe?). When she struck the ball it kind of trickled out onto the bank. Wie then grounded her club on the bank, which is still beyond the red hazard line, after hitting it, which of course, is a no-no.

Well, Wie and her caddie didn't think that was fair. Wie started pleading w/ officials about it, even though it was a pretty cut and dry infraction, IMO. "I was losing my balance", she exclaimed. "I had my eyes closed, so I didn't know where the ball was".

Both of those things, are of course, ridiculous. She didn't lose her balance, and she had her eyes open because she was clearly looking at the ball as it trickled back down the bank right in front of her.

Wie came across looking like a 12 year old girl. Her adult caddie, instead of acting like the adult in this case, went along w/ her and was just as ridiculous as she was.

Michelle, just play golf, and refrain from saying as many words as you can. Along w/ that, don't do much thinking either.

:act-up:

I agree - MW looked very silly trying to explain. They replayed that shot and the subsequent grounding of the club over and over - she didn't look like she was having any problem keeping her balance at all. She even slid the club around a bit after grounding it, indicating she wasn't pressing down on it to keep her balance.

i haven't seen the infaction but could imagine what her reaction was like. i'm sure it was an honest mistake, but still, not permissable. that's a bummer to hear about but hopefully she was just reacting emotionally due to being in the thick of things.

i'd be on her side too (be it childish or not) for my share of her winnings, that caddy knows who butters his bread

i'd be on her side too (be it childish or not) for my share of her winnings, that caddy knows who butters his bread

A good caddy, to me, would have realized she was correctly penalized and then would have proceeded to calm her down while explaining the situation to her.

It's not like the officials were going to change their minds.

When you feet are stuck in mud it is easy to feel as though you are going to loose your balance. With that being said once the ruling was made that should have been it, there was no chance it would be reversed, especially when you made a public challenge.

Could someone please explain this rule to me....I did see this yesterday and was confused by the whole ordeal....on a side note i did think MW was a very pretty girl!:angel:

Not a fan of MW and this just makes me even less a fan. I know shes still young but seriously put the big girl panties on and start acting like a pro for once.

the announcers were saying that the 2 stroke penalty did cost her $90,000.00 if it's any consilation :confused2:

Could someone please explain this rule to me....I did see this yesterday and was confused by the whole ordeal....on a side note i did think MW was a very pretty girl!:angel:

She can look alright at times, but I don't find her that attractive.

Plus, she's an awfully BIG girl. A little over 6'0 and pretty thick.

the announcers were saying that the 2 stroke penalty did cost her $90,000.00 if it's any consilation :confused2:

I'd like to say she cost herself $90,000.

I tend to think she and her caddy will be just fine in the money department.

My favorite was the one tournament where she all the sudden got injured or fatigued and withdrew. Lots of eyebrows were raised and some even called it a fake to save her playing status.

She looks better with a hat on :)

She can look alright at times, but I don't find her that attractive.

Plus, she's an awfully BIG girl. A little over 6'0 and pretty thick.

I happen to think that a thick, athletic woman is quite sexy...so speak for urself...

So what is the rule that she actually broke?

So what is the rule that she actually broke?

She grounded her club in the hazard while her ball was still in the hazard.

My favorite was the one tournament where she all the sudden got injured or fatigued and withdrew. Lots of eyebrows were raised and some even called it a fake to save her playing status.

Take a look at this interview she did this past February. Page two of the interview is down right hilarious.

She was asked about incidents like that, and then she gets a strange case of amnesia. It's really weird.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1957732,00.html

I thought that interview was really strange as well.

I thought that interview was really strange as well.

It went really bad for her, to say the least. And it was meant to be a softball interview. She could have spun some of those questions any way she wanted to, and the interviewer would have let her get away w/ it.

I think if anyone had any questions about her, well, take a look at that interview.

It went really bad for her, to say the least. And it was meant to be a softball interview. She could have spun some of those questions any way she wanted to, and the interviewer would have let her get away w/ it.

I think if anyone had any questions about her, well, take a look at that interview.

It's funny when the interviewer said "so you just blocked it out metally, or you just don't remember at all" and she said" I just don't remember any of it"

NikeGolf,

Michelle Wie was ridiculous! I tuned in and watched her discussion with the officials. I even explained what was happening to my wife who doesn't golf and she understood.

For those who didn't see, Wie hit a ball out of the hazard (water) with her right foot in the water and her left on the bank. She was clearly plenty balanced with what looked like 75% of her wait on her right leg which was in the water. After she hit the shot the ball made it out of the water but not past the red hazard line. She then relaxed her left leg, which means weigh was on the right. And with the club in her left hand she put the club on the ground.

She said she did it for balance? Please!!! Why would you put your club the opposite way you would fall? If your going to fall you lean on the club in the direction you're falling. When you lean on your putter to pick up your ball you don't lean forward and ground the club behind you.

She was ridiculous.

Having grown up in Hawaii, I root for hometown hero Michelle Wie, but I agree that she sounded pretty wacky pleading with the judges yesterday. She must be a very intelligent woman because she graduated with good grades from the same exclusive private school that Barrack Obama attended, and last semester she took 20(!) units at Stanford, with a little professional golf on the side. But maybe that childlike innocence and naivete Wie portrays that make a beautiful, Amazonian 6 foot tall woman so much more appealing -- is actually how she is in real life. She really sounded like a 14 year old trying to get out of after school detention.

Having grown up in Hawaii, I root for hometown hero Michelle Wie, but I agree that she sounded pretty wacky pleading with the judges yesterday. She must be a very intelligent woman because she graduated with good grades from the same exclusive private school that Barrack Obama attended, and last semester she took 20(!) units at Stanford, with a little professional golf on the side. But maybe that childlike innocence and naivete Wie portrays that make a beautiful, Amazonian 6 foot tall woman so much more appealing -- is actually how she is in real life. She really sounded like a 14 year old trying to get out of after school detention.

Wie got into Stanford because of her golfing, let's not kid ourselves.

Because Obama went there means little. Bush went to Yale. So what?

Wie, in fact, could be very "book smart", but otherwise, an airhead. Who knows?

NikeGolf,

Michelle Wie was ridiculous! I tuned in and watched her discussion with the officials. I even explained what was happening to my wife who doesn't golf and she understood.

For those who didn't see, Wie hit a ball out of the hazard (water) with her right foot in the water and her left on the bank. She was clearly plenty balanced with what looked like 75% of her wait on her right leg which was in the water. After she hit the shot the ball made it out of the water but not past the red hazard line. She then relaxed her left leg, which means weigh was on the right. And with the club in her left hand she put the club on the ground.

She said she did it for balance? Please!!! Why would you put your club the opposite way you would fall? If your going to fall you lean on the club in the direction you're falling. When you lean on your putter to pick up your ball you don't lean forward and ground the club behind you.

She was ridiculous.

I found it funny that she kept reiterating that she had a white skirt on and there was no way she was falling in to the mud.....But to me it definetly looked like she DIDN'T use the club to support herself......

Back