Michelle Wie joins Callaway

adwillingham

2024 Vokey Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Solid signing for both sides. I think this will help move the needle and I think is a better replacement for Lydia Ko

This does little for me, but I think she's the closest thing to Tiger on the LPGA in terms of conversations (especially regardless of play).

Solid signing for both sides. I think this will help move the needle and I think is a better replacement for Lydia Ko

And if Wie can start winning more often it will be a home run. Well. as much as possible on the LPGA. For whatever that is worth.

It is certainly minor news compared to Mr. Eldrick this morning, but I'd think they could get as much if not more attention with Wie than with Ko, even in their current winning or non-winning states.

Very nice move from Callaway. I think this is a great partnership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good addition to their LPGA stable. I like Wie and hope she can have a good and healthy year. With Lydia leaving they lacked that true big name on your. Morgan Pressel hasn't been to relevant and Sandra Gal just has t really done much outside of Solheim Cup.

From a Social Media aspect, I think this is a pretty good pickup for Callaway as she has a pretty big following on a few streams of social media and should fit in with Callaway in that aspect. If she can stay healthy and win a few times on the tour that will be a pretty nice bonus for Callaway.

I didn't see this already posted, so per Callaway website...https://cmp.callawaygolf.com/2017/01/25/michelle-wie-joins-callaway-tour-team/

Who knows were her career will go next, but Wie seems to me to one of the few LPGA players who could move the proverbial needle in any meaningful way.

Here is the Press Release:

CALLAWAY GOLF SIGNS GLOBAL GOLF SUPERSTAR
MICHELLE WIE

One of the most influential players in the game, Wie joins an outstanding list of Young,
Proven Winners on Team Callaway​

i-KqxwPBG-S.jpg

CARLSBAD, Calif., - January 25, 2017 – Today Callaway Golf (NYSE: ELY)
announced that it has reached a Staff Pro agreement with LPGA Tour star Michelle Wie.
In addition to being one of the most popular players in the sport, and of its greatest
phenoms ever, Wie has been one of the most accomplished players on the LPGA since
joining the Tour full-time in 2009.

A 27-year-old Hawaii native, Wie has been in the spotlight since the age of 10, when she
became at the time the youngest player to qualify for a USGA amateur championship. At
13, she became the youngest player ever, male or female to win a USGA adult event at
the 2003 Women’s Amateur Public Links and the youngest player to ever make an LPGA
cut. At 14, she became the youngest female ever to play in a PGA Tour event at the Sony
Open, and at 16 she turned professional. Despite being one of the most recognized
players in the game already, Michelle chose to attend Stanford University in addition to
competing professionally.

Since playing full-time on the LPGA Tour, Wie has won 4 times, highlighted by her
major victory at the U.S. Women’s open, been among the top-ranked players in the
world, and competed on 4 U.S. Solheim Cup teams. She’s also known for being one of
the longest hitters on the Tour, and one of its biggest stars both inside the ropes and while
engaging her fans through social media.

“Joining Callaway feels like a natural partnership,” Wie said. “I believe that they make
the best equipment in golf, and that their clubs are really going to help me have a great
year. I also admire how they make the game fun and accessible to fans, and make them
feel like they are part of the experience. That’s something that’s really important to me.”

As a Full Callaway Staffer, Michelle will use Callaway clubs, balls and an Odyssey
Putter. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @themichellewie.

Wie will add to Callaway’s tremendous group of talented young players, a list that
includes Patrick Reed, 2016 Masters Champion Danny Willett, Wes Bryan, Ollie
Schniederjans, Ryo Ishikawa, Branden Grace, Thomas Pieters, and Daniel Berger, who
officially joined the company as a Tour Staffer this week.

For more information on Callaway Golf’s team of professional golfers, including young
stars like Michelle Wie, please visit https://www.callawaygolf.com/team-callaway/.

I like it. I am a little Callaway biased.

I don't see anything huge about this. She's not been relevant for ever. I don't even see this as filling a void for where Ko left. Maybe it's just me.

I don't see anything huge about this. She's not been relevant for ever. I don't even see this as filling a void for where Ko left. Maybe it's just me.

Wie
Twitter: 247k followers
Instagram: 255k followers

Ko
Twitter: 54.2k followers
Instagram: 90.5k followers

From a social aspect at least, the numbers are quite something.

Despite her recent lack of success (outside of the US Open) she still moves the needle for the LPGA. I hope this starts the point in her career where we see her at the top and hopefully winning a few, instead of middle of the pack and conversations about her health.

This does little for me, but I think she's the closest thing to Tiger on the LPGA in terms of conversations (especially regardless of play).
That's my thought as well

Wie

Ko

I guess from a marketing stand point it's a win. Stanford alum presence must be huge. Hahaha

I still maintain she's not been relevant between the ropes in forever.

I guess from a marketing stand point it's a win. Stanford alum presence must be huge. Hahaha

That's a reality, but based on the following, apparently not the only criteria required to be interesting on the LPGA tour. Hard to say the impact is equal based on the exposure comparison from a social media standpoint, and that often times means great product placement (Nike agrees haha)

If you were Callaway would you rather have been able to keep Lydia Ko, or gain Michelle Wie? I personally think this move benefits them more. Wie is more marketable in my eyes.

Wie

Ko

Wow I had no idea there was that much of a gap between them, very interesting!

She'e way more marketable IMO, but between the ropes if it wasn't Solheim or the US Open she won, she is a non factor. That's why I said I hope she can turn the corner with this partnership.

Great signing. Michelle is defentely a force.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Good for her. Hopefully Callaway hooks her up with a longer putter. Her style looks painful

I figured there would be some, but the numbers (especially twitter) shocked me as well.

I don't think its that shocking really, Wie has been doing social media for a long time and I would bet money that a lot of her followers aren't following her because she is a golfer.

I don't think its that shocking really, Wie has been doing social media for a long time and I would bet money that a lot of her followers aren't following her because she is a golfer.
You are spot on. I follow her and there's just endless creepy comments and when she does a live stream on IG there's always just crazy ass comments. Looks are playing a factor for sure. Look at Paige Spiranac, she has nearly 1 MILLION followers and isnt even that good.

The sad part of all of this. Even on a golf forum we're seeing based solely on number of posts in this thread. Moving the needle certainly means two different things when we're talking The men's tour and the women's tour.

Back