Member at one club - where would you choose?

JF

Reaction score
You can be a member at one club, anywhere in the world, any cost, any circumstances, but only one. The condition is that you can't "use your pro" to get you access to other prestigious clubs, so choose wisely.

I personally am going with Cypress Point. To me there is no better blend of scenery than right there, I love the ocean and there are few if any high profile clubs on the ocean that are better in my eyes. The same AM awesomeness at Augusta in what I believe is a much better location.

THPing on Tapatalk

Augusta National, hands down the one place I'd love to be able to play, anytime I want!

You stole mine. I'd go Cypress Point too. It'd be hard to choose anything over Augusta, but no summer golf would be tough.

St. Andrews. 7 courses. R&A, a whole lot of prestige right there.

Or mission hills china. 17 courses or so. I could dig that.

Dude, my Bridgestone J40 that I ordered is a BOMBER! Love that GD ADDi 7 shaft!

Tempted to say Brookline. Only because they did not allow my father or grandfather to be members due to prejudices. Seems weird I know, especially in a place you can only play half the year and I live nowhere near, but when I finally got to play the course a while back, I remember how I wanted to look into the sky and say "this is for you".

You can be a member at one club, anywhere in the world, any cost, any circumstances, but only one. The condition is that you can't "use your pro" to get you access to other prestigious clubs, so choose wisely.

I personally am going with Cypress Point. To me there is no better blend of scenery than right there, I love the ocean and there are few if any high profile clubs on the ocean that are better in my eyes. The same AM awesomeness at Augusta in what I believe is a much better location.

THPing on Tapatalk

Cypress point would certainly be up there. Seminole would also be up there. Alot of great places up north, but weather would rule those out for me.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Pine Valley

My wife's uncle and grandfather played there lest spring and said it was just unbelievable. I need to live somewhere where there are seasons and close to my family so that takes a lot of the south and west courses out of play.

Cypress Point would be a really good one....Augusta would be great, but it's closed over half the season.

Hmmm I'm going to have to think about this one, but it would definitely have to be somewhere with multiple courses.

Off the top of my head...Bandon Dunes. 4 amazing courses and an incredible practice facility. Also, they just added a par 3 course that I've heard is wonderful.

Augusta National. I would just play munis when it was closed and that would help me appreciate it more.

Tempted to say Brookline. Only because they did not allow my father or grandfather to be members due to prejudices. Seems weird I know, especially in a place you can only play half the year and I live nowhere near, but when I finally got to play the course a while back, I remember how I wanted to look into the sky and say "this is for you".

I'd be tempted to say that considering I live about 2 miles from that club, would make life very easy. But there's no way that I'd ever get in there. Now, if you want to tell me how you got to play it, I'm all ears.

I'd go with Augusta National for the months out of the year that it is playable, then Cypress Point for the other months. How about that?

I must ponder this, seems the Augusta backlash is it not being year round, but if I have that kind of loot, money isn't an object and I can surely find somewhere nice to golf when its not open....

I'm pretty plane jane and I'm a huge Mike Strantz fan. I'd be ecstatic with Bulls Bay near Charleston, Sc. I love that course

I would go with Augusta... I mean if your a member there you could probably get on any other course you wanted to play without useing the pro.

Feels strange to not say Augusta. One thing I heard last week while there was that members are not allowed to use that practice facility that you see the pro's using during Masters week. If that's true, that's too bad because that facility is fantastic. So losing golf for half the year and not having access to that facility I might as well choose Winged Foot or Shinnecock. Cypress point sure is tempting too.

I'm going to take a practical approach to this one. It has to be some place I can play year round with reasonably nice weather throughout the year. This sadly eliminates Augusta and many other fabulous courses. It has to be in a part of the country I want to live in, which constrains me to the western states. It has to be in a city that I would want to live in, which sadly eliminates Cypress. I am not especially familiar with Riviera or Bel Air CCs, etc., which might actually win out if more thought was given to weather or the specific area in Los Angeles where I could live. But for today I think I will choose the San Francisco Golf Club.

I'd be tempted to say that considering I live about 2 miles from that club, would make life very easy. But there's no way that I'd ever get in there. Now, if you want to tell me how you got to play it, I'm all ears.

I'd go with Augusta National for the months out of the year that it is playable, then Cypress Point for the other months. How about that?

Years ago I had the opportunity to meet someone rather influential in that area that became part of our "family". As you know most of my family is from either Brookline or Newton. Someone needed a favor done and he took care of it for them. As repayment, they did this for him (me).

Years later, I needed another favor because for my father's 70th bday, I flew him up to Boston to have dinner and take in a Red Sox game with a famous Boston Sportswriter. This writer had gone through some terrible stuff recently and someone I knew helped him with that. Ironically enough, my father turned down the chance to play the course that denied him membership.

Augusta National or somewhere nice with lots of courses

For me, it would most likely be Pine Valley. Not just because of the location (literally 20-25 mins from where I live), but the course quality and layout. I know it isn't year round, but like MikeDean said, if I were a member at Pine Valley I would have the money to travel and play other nice courses during the winter.

Muirfield Village in Dublin, OH. Id rathar be a member at a great local club and actually be able to use my membership on a regular basis than to be a member at Augusta or Pebble and only be able to use it once or twice a year due to travel.

Peachtree Golf Club in Atlanta. Designed by Bobby Jones, and it looks an awful lot like Augusta National. (Urban legend is that it is as tough, if not tougher, to get into Peachtree as it is AGNC.)

It would be like playing Augusta National, but I get to play it 12 months a year. I'm all about that.

Plus, I live about 10 minutes away. So there's that as well.

abroad I'm going to Royal Melbourne

Being born in Augusta and having lived there for my early childhood I have to go with Augusta National. No other course even in the discussion for me.

I don't think I'd go too exclusive because I'd want to be able to play when I want and not worry about never getting a tee time. I also would need to be in the south where I can play year round. 54 holes would also be a huge plus and I'd love for atleast one or two of the course to be walkable.

Back