Maxfli StraightFli - does it really fly straighter than other balls? Thank you!

I've tried this ball, and found it similar to a Callaway Warbird. I prefer the feel and ball flight of a Taylor Made Distance+.

My golf game can use all the help it can get so I bought a box when they were on sale. I haven't tried them yet though. I enjoy the feel of the MaxFli TourX and haven't deviated from those but the golf season is just getting underway here so hopefully I can give them a try here soon.

I think they are decent 2 piece balls But I would question the 20% straighter claim. Straighter than what? They leave that part out.
The compression is up a bit from the SoftFli which is also a pretty good ball.

I think they are decent 2 piece balls But I would question the 20% straighter claim. Straighter than what? They leave that part out.
I saw once " 20% straighter than a previous version", and now "20% straighter than Maxfli Trifli" is what I have seen. I think it is in small print on the box...

I've tried these and I liked them. They felt pretty good and seemed to minimize my slice with driver. Height was very good while spin with irons was definitely a little less but still reasonable. They were also pretty inexpensive when on sale. Definitely worth a try.

It's about an 80ish compression, and it does have a self-correcting dimple pattern, that is legal by USGA standards, but was taken from the Polara self-correcting dimple pattern, which was illegal. To be legal by the USGA, all dimple patterns must be symmetrical around the ball. The Polara was not symmetrical around the ball, with large dimples stacked on one side, with smaller ones mixed in on the other side. According to Maxfli, it is supposed to be 20% straighter than previous iterations of the Straightfli. I have never played the ball, but did play the Softfli, witch is a 35 compression, comparable with the Callaway Supersoft..
Thanks for the commentary on the Polara. I had never heard of them before finding a couple the other day wandering the edge of one hole. Apparently, the person using them required more correction.

Thanks for the commentary on the Polara. I had never heard of them before finding a couple the other day wandering the edge of one hole. Apparently, the person using them required more correction.
THAT is funny!! LOL!! The part about the person who hit them...

Last edited:

I saw once " 20% straighter than a previous version", and now "20% straighter than Maxfli Trifli" is what I have seen. I think it is in small print on the box...
20240422_180017.jpg
So I stand corrected! It says "20% straighter than previous generation Speedfli"..

So, yeah, went and bit the bullet! Got my butt down to Dicks to pick up my online order after work tonight. Picked up the Maxfli Straightfli in the new gloss yellow, at 2fer $35, and with a $20 reward, $16.50 with tax, out the door. Such a good value, and if it works for me, better yet...

I bought a couple dozen on sale two seasons ago while struggling off the tee.

My perception of them was that they were a bit straighter, relative to my lowered propensity to find trouble. However, I couldn't help but wonder if it was because they were so danged short for me??

I'm not a stranger to low compression balls. I've played extensively the Duo-Pro and, to a lesser extent, the Wilson Zip and TM Response. While all "lost" distance, especially with the Duo-Pro, it wasn't much. But with the StraightFli, I lost 20+ yards off the tee.

When scores didn't improve, I was out.

Back in the day, when Bridgestone first came out with e6, it seemed like "a ball that flies straighter" would be hard to believe. But I gave them an honest try and played nothing else for about six months. Then I went back to the TP Red urethane ball I'd been playing before.

There was no meaningful difference at all in the shape of my shots, in the number of greens I hit, in my scores or in keeping my tee shots out of trouble. None, nada, zilch.

I did have to play for a lot more release on my iron shots with e6, compared to a urethane ball. But that was no different than any other low spin 2pc ball.

Now maybe other people's crooked shots are different than my crooked shots and my slices and hooks are just immune to the magic in these "straighter" balls. But I think it's more likely the "straight" thing is just pure marketing malarkey.

Back in the day, when Bridgestone first came out with e6, it seemed like "a ball that flies straighter" would be hard to believe. But I gave them an honest try and played nothing else for about six months. Then I went back to the TP Red urethane ball I'd been playing before.

There was no meaningful difference at all in the shape of my shots, in the number of greens I hit, in my scores or in keeping my tee shots out of trouble. None, nada, zilch.

I did have to play for a lot more release on my iron shots with e6, compared to a urethane ball. But that was no different than any other low spin 2pc ball.

Now maybe other people's crooked shots are different than my crooked shots and my slices and hooks are just immune to the magic in these "straighter" balls. But I think it's more likely the "straight" thing is just pure marketing malarkey.
That is a real possibilty on the marketing mularkey.. But it was kind of funny that last Saturday, I could not hit the side of a barn with my driver, and found a Straightfli on the course, and proceeded to par 2 two holes back to back, and made bogie for the remaining holes. I had shot 60 on the front, losing 4 balls in the process. Walked off a 46 on the back. My game looked, and felt a whole lot better after finding that ball. Was it some kind of mental mumbo jumbo? IDK! What I do know, is that for the remaining holes, I was in the fairway when I used my driver. My approach shots were markedly better, more toward the target, my 3-wood off the deck had more distance, and better direction. I did not change anything about my swing, being inconsistent as it is. Marketing mularkey, maybe, but I might be a believer! So, I bought in, and got 2 dozen to see if it helps me, or just more of the same. I get it, that if you have a bad swing, nothing helps except lessons. I've done all that, so I am trying to rely on the tech of the equipment to see if it helps. I don't have a bad swing, just gets a little out of time, with the hip turn, and I can lose golf balls with best of them! This weekend looks like rain, so maybe in a couple of weeks, I will check back in on this, and let you all know what happened. Also, as a side note, when I went online, they only had 8 boxes left at the Schaumburg, IL. store. So who else is playing them? I know they stock a whole lot more on the shelves when I go there!

Last edited:
I bought a couple dozen on sale two seasons ago while struggling off the tee.

My perception of them was that they were a bit straighter, relative to my lowered propensity to find trouble. However, I couldn't help but wonder if it was because they were so danged short for me??

I'm not a stranger to low compression balls. I've played extensively the Duo-Pro and, to a lesser extent, the Wilson Zip and TM Response. While all "lost" distance, especially with the Duo-Pro, it wasn't much. But with the StraightFli, I lost 20+ yards off the tee.

When scores didn't improve, I was out.
I can say I know all about the Wilson Duo, being the softest ball on the market when it came out, at 29 compression. With that being said, I was playing with my group, and my BIL says, what's up with you today? Your 30-40 yards behind all the rest of us. It was 85*, and this ball turned into a marshmallow. Changed to another ball in my bag, and got back in the game. I can't see a loss of distance with the Straightfli, as to me it was firmer, with more feedback, than the Softfli I had been playing. I got more distance, and more accuracy playing the Straightfli I had found. Surely, you are not confusing the two balls, and you meant to say Softfli? I could see that being realistic. The Straightfli being 80ish compression, while the Softfli is 35 compression. I too have played the Tour Response, and while losing them quickly because of spin off the tee, they were short for me, to say the least. For me, the Straightfli was longer than my Softfli, while being straighter.

Last edited:
I can say I know all about the Wilson Duo, being the softest ball on tbe market when it came out, at 29 compression. With that being said, I was playing with my group, and my BIL says, what's up with you today? Your 30-40 yards behind all the rest of us. It was 85*, and this ball turned into a marshmallow. Changed to another ball in my bag, and got back in the game. I can't see a loss of distance with the Straightfli, as to me it was firmer, with more feedback, than the Softfli I had been playing. I got more distance, and more accuracy playing the Straightfli I had found. Surely, you are not confusing the two balls, and you meant to say Softfli? I could see that being realistic. The Straightfli being 80ish compression, while the Softfli is 35 compression. I too have played the Tour Response, and while losing them quickly because of spin off the tee, they were short for me, to say the least. For me, the Straightfli was longer than my Softfli, while being straighter.
Straightfli, for me, as I've never tried the Softfli (or Duo-Soft). I still have 1.5 dozen of them sitting on the shelf. I must spin the heck out of 'em because they went nowhere. Whereas, with the Duo-Pro, at 60 compression, I believe, I'll only lose 5-10 yards with them in the warmest weather.

Compression numbers with modern cores are not as valuable as they once were as a sole determining factor.
I recently read an article that said pretty much the same thing. For example, a golfer with a slow swing speed might hit a high compression ball better than a low compression golf ball.

As an unashamed ball hawk
My home course is littered with hazards and I find a lot of golf balls. I haven't purchased any golf balls in over a decade. Since I've found most every golf ball manufactured I've been able to try them. A couple of years ago I did an extensive ball test and found the ProV1x was the best all around ball for me. At the time I was surprised because as a senior and having a slow swing speed, I thought a high compression golf ball was supposed to be a big no-no. But, that's not the case. On a side note I currently have 41 dozen ProV1x's.

My home course is littered with hazards and I find a lot of golf balls. I haven't purchased any golf balls in over a decade. Since I've found most every golf ball manufactured I've been able to try them. A couple of years ago I did an extensive ball test and found the ProV1x was the best all around ball for me. At the time I was surprised because as a senior and having a slow swing speed, I thought a high compression golf ball was supposed to be a big no-no. But, that's not the case. On a side note I currently have 41 dozen ProV1x's.
I too, tried the ProV1, years ago, when I found about 6 dozen on a golf course that nobody bothered to look for their ball in a wooded area. Played them for 2 seasons, and I absolutely loved them around the green, but off the tee, it was brutal. The lack of distance, and felt like I was hitting a rock you find on the street. My 80 mph swing speed with the driver is it! I started on the low compression train, trying anything under 90, and as of late, under 80, even the Softfli at 35 compression, which has been my gamer since late last season. The Straightfli could be an anomaly for me, as I got good distance, and great direction, hitting the target area I was looking at, with the ball I found on the course, hole 13, last Saturday. My game turned around on a dime, parring 14, and 15, each hole being unique to the other. So, I do need to "test" in a few more rounds. I loaded up yesterday at Dicks, with 2 dozen!

Last edited:
On a side note I currently have 41 dozen ProV1x's.
thinks the war on drugs GIF

Took out 18 Straightflis, and put them on the Check-n-Go, and put an "equator" line on them, to help with direction off the tee, and on the green. Truer flight-maybe? Better roll on the green-possible? Can't hurt with my swing being a little inconsistent at times. And with the "straighter" flight of the Straightfli(20%?), might just keep me in the fairway more often. I get it that if you have a bad swing, nothing other than rebuilding it is going to help. I don't have a totally bad swing, just gets a little off in timing with my hip turn, and then I find the right rough. I hardly ever slice anymore, just a hard fade, where it finds an overgrown waste area, or a pond, or an OB, never to be seen again. Sometimes, I hit the fairway often during a round, and then not! It does not help that I don't play every weekend, or even twice a month. Hard to be consistent when you don't play regularly. At 67, I will retire from my full time job soon, and maybe get to play more often, and during the week, when the course is not so crowded. I do think that the Straightfli did help me last Saturday, but, still need to play a few rounds with it, to really see if it was the ball. Sure seemed like it last weekend, after parring two holes back to back, and hitting fairways with it on the way in, playing the Straightfli after finding it on the course. I'm convinced that it does fly straighter, but will play more to find out for sure...

Last edited:
It depends on the golfer, I swing 105-110 and they weren’t any straighter for me. Now the Maxfli tour on the other hand is a dart!

It depends on the golfer, I swing 105-110 and they weren’t any straighter for me. Now the Maxfli tour on the other hand is a dart!
My swing speed is only 80 mph with the driver. Never could swing faster! Maxfli Tour is a good ball, eqivalent to the ProV, from what I've read on another golf site...

Ok! So on Saturday, I will be out at Glendale Lakes, "testing" Maxfli Straightflis to see if they are a good fit for my game, based on what happened 2 weeks ago, finding one on the course at 13, playing it the rest of the way in, and with great results. Bought 2 boxes, and I am looking forward to see if this ball can really make a big difference in my game. I could not miss a fairway with the driver using this ball when I found one on the course. Approach shots were on line with the target, and putting felt pretty good. I really have to temper my enthusiasm for this ball, so I don't go out and choke! I have not felt this good about a piece of equipment, or my game in some time! Really felt great the way I finished the round after finding this ball. The game was actually fun! Will check back, and report after the round Saturday...

Ok! So on Saturday, I will be out at Glendale Lakes, "testing" Maxfli Straightflis to see if they are a good fit for my game, based on what happened 2 weeks ago, finding one on the course at 13, playing it the rest of the way in, and with great results. Bought 2 boxes, and I am looking forward to see if this ball can really make a big difference in my game. I could not miss a fairway with the driver using this ball when I found one on the course. Approach shots were on line with the target, and putting felt pretty good. I really have to temper my enthusiasm for this ball, so I don't go out and choke! I have not felt this good about a piece of equipment, or my game in some time! Really felt great the way I finished the round after finding this ball. The game was actually fun! Will check back, and report after the round Saturday...
They are good balls. Just get over the fact they say MaxFli. :)
Just adjust for more rollout and you will be good!!

When the Straight or Soft Fli balls are on sale they are a great value and I Prefer the SoftFli over the Callaway Super Soft and it's not even close.

Goodluck

They are good balls. Just get over the fact they say MaxFli. :)
Just adjust for more rollout and you will be good!!

When the Straight or Soft Fli balls are on sale they are a great value and I Prefer the SoftFli over the Callaway Super Soft and it's not even close.

Goodluck
The Maxfli part does not bother me, as I have been playing the sister ball to the Straightfli, the Softfli for the latter part of last season, and started this year. I like the fact that Dicks has the 2fer, 3fer value sales daily. Good value for the money, and not bad golf balls at all...

Last edited:
Back