Masters viewership -no bueno

smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The Masters had its third-worst Sunday viewership since 1997. And all three of those have come in the last five years. • 2024 - 9.589M• 2021 - 9.54M• 2020 - 5.64M. Last year, viewership was 12.06M. Viewership was down about 20% this year.

Was it the 4 shot win, the ongoing PGA/LIV saga or people just not interested that resulted in these viewership numbers. Perhaps they should give an exemption to Caitlin Clark.

Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 11.26.38 AM.png

I popped in and out. On Sunday it was the nicest day around here for weeks. I think a lot of people took advantage of the nice weather and went outside.

Every minute I watched was on some form of streaming service. I am not sure if that is counted or not.

The masters is probably killing it on the streaming side. Its purely anecdotal but everyone I know uses the app.
I wouldnt think sunday would be a big streaming day.. I think people are getting more and more fed up with pro golf.. It is not coincidence that it has declined over the past few years.

The masters is probably killing it on the streaming side. Its purely anecdotal but everyone I know uses the app.
20% is a huge drop though, were they all not using the app last year?

Had it on all weekend and didn't watch a second not through the app.

I used the app on my iPad at work, and then on Apple TV at home. Watched all 4 rounds, but I guess I dont count. :(

I was watching it on my phone via the Masters app. So sounds like I wasn't counted.

If this does not include streaming data guessing a lot were on there. I used both app and TV. Also in the midwest it was in the 70s in early April so there were so many people out and about.

Ok, maybe I cannot read a chart but from what I see it says, 2022 Scottie Scheffler, 5.8 rating, 10.17 million viewers and 2021 Hideki Matsuyama, 5.5 rating, 9.54 million viewers. How is that a 20% drop? Seems to calculate out to a 6.6% increase.

Either way, I watched over 4 days on various platforms. I streamed on ESPN+, Paramount+, Masters App, and watched OTA on CBS. In fact, we followed the tournament on Sunday streaming on the Masters app while out on the golf course playing a round. So yeah, I don't think their numbers are right.

I saw Thursday and Fridays numbers were the best since 2015/2018. Think people were excited to see everyone back together for a few days and Tiger still had a chance.

But the 20% drop on Sunday is in line with most of the other big events this year. People are tired of the split narrative, and Tiger was out of it.

I saw Thursday and Fridays numbers were the best since 2015/2018. Think people were excited to see everyone back together for a few days and Tiger still had a chance.

But the 20% drop on Sunday is in line with most of the other big events this year. People are tired of the split narrative, and Tiger was out of it.
fair point

I watched more through the app this year than previous years. Curious if it's possible to see those numbers.

I watched more through the app this year than previous years. Curious if it's possible to see those numbers.
Make sense why the numbers would be down. I was content with watching on the app, and when coverage on CBS started up, I didnt feel the need to switch to the same coverage.

They have not released that information. At least my googlefu is not showing anything.

Make sense why the numbers would be down. I was content with watching on the app, and when coverage on CBS started up, I didnt feel the need to switch to the same coverage.
The app is absolutely incredible.

Back