Luggage - Soft sided or Hard Sided?

Up until a year ago, I had soft. Picked up a hard sided with 4 wheels and it’s been amazing.

Hard sided with 4 wheels.
Ditto, we have multiple sizes

I also try and buy crazy colors so they're easier to see on the belt

I have never had an issue, but go with hard sided just incase of a puncture.

For the cheapskates like me, Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, and Ross can have some pretty good deals.

Just don’t wait until 2 days before you leave. Ask me how I know. :LOL:

Soft side, with structure and 4 wheels.

I’ve always used soft sided and never had an issue. From my time working in the baggage halls of an international airport, where one of my first jobs was dealing with damaged bags, it was always the hard sided bags that burst open and I had to go and bag up the stuff and seal them. These bags were nearly always bursting at the seams, but something to think about.

Soft-sided. Because I'm stuffing the biggest carry-on as full as possible, and then stuffing that into the overhead bin on the plane. This, of course, assumes I'm flying other than Southwest where I can still check 2 bags for free...

Mostly hard-sided anymore.

We have one of each and no issues with either. Like mentioned the 4 wheels makes rolling them really nice.

Ogio Layover soft-sided. I've been using the same one for probably close to ten years with at least four flights per year and it's still going strong.

Hard sided with wheels, then Ogio backpacks have a design that lets the bag slide over the handle so nicely.

TravelPro softside wheelies.
Tumi ballistic nylon garment bag.
Timbuk2 soft nylon carry on.

Usually, just Tumi or Timbuk2 for carry on.

Backpack style.

I prefer soft but brand is most important. A higher quality bag (e.g., Briggs & Riley) will last longer than cheaper alternatives.

Case for soft sided to be made. This is my bag that came off the plane. WTF

IMG_5843.jpeg

I’m a soft sided suitcase person. For a while I really liked using a backpack suitcase.

I love the idea of that CaddyDaddy suitcase duffel that @Hawk reviewed.

Wife uses hard sided because she checks her bag. I use soft sided because I generally will only do a carry on

I prefer hard sided for peace of mind but have been using a soft sided Ogio that has held up well. I don't travel much, but If i did, hard side would be the way to go.

Back