Looking for a golf tip - Downhill lie

Pumas

Hola
Reaction score
Handicap
Where do you practice down or up hill lies? Also ball bellow or above your feet?

Here in Los Angeles, the courses that I practiced don't have areas for practicing anything like that. Is there another way to practice these type of lies other than the golf course?

On the course. No real areas to practice on that.

This was one of the entries on the GC show 'Fore inventors only':

about.jpg

http://www.hillshotgolf.com/

[YOUTUBE]19OFxplDgr0[/YOUTUBE]

There is no place here to practice them. I hate having the ball below my feet. I wish I could practice it more than just on the course.

I have the same problem with no practice area for those shots here. My old course had several levels to the range and you could find odd lies for almost any practice. Also, it was not busy so I wasn't disturbing or scaring anyone else when I did it. They also had a bunker beside the practice range to use for practicing fairway bunker shots. I miss those luxuries. That may be some of the reason my handicap has risen 5 strokes since I moved.

One of the clubs I play at sometimes has a kick ass range with some un even lies on the side.
Pumas, have you been to Hanson Dam. For some reason I feel like they might have some uneven lies on the side of the range but im not sure.

Depends on how adventurist you are. You can get almost golf balls, grab a wedge, and try to find a field or park with the type of lie you want. Almost golf balls are firm foam, fly about 1/3 the distance as a real ball, and won't break or really hurt anything it hits. So a wedge with partial shots won't go real far.

You probably don't need much of a slope to practice it either. I really need to start working on these shots in my yard.

One of the clubs I play at sometimes has a kick ass range with some un even lies on the side.
Pumas, have you been to Hanson Dam. For some reason I feel like they might have some uneven lies on the side of the range but im not sure.

All the practice mats are on a flat surface at Hanson Dam.The only area I can think is the chipping areas, but you have the people from 10th tee right in front of you plus a big sign telling you" No range balls allowed in this area"

The only area I can think is the chipping areas, but you have the people from 10th tee right in front of you plus a big sign telling you" No range balls allowed in this area"

Thats the spot I was thinking about but didnt know there was a sign. Ive played there a bunch of times but never practiced there. Ill keep an eye open.

On the course. No real areas to practice on that.

That's what I've done. Read up on proper technique, then try to execute it when I have that lie on the course.

This was one of the entries on the GC show 'Fore inventors only':

about.jpg

http://www.hillshotgolf.com/

[YOUTUBE]19OFxplDgr0[/YOUTUBE]

That thing is expensive though, and it seems to me that it would be a pain to try and haul it to the range for any real work. I suppose that you could make your own... doesn't look that difficult. Just some plywood with 2x4's for bracing. Add a good turf mat and you have it. I'm not that dedicated though. :confused2:

That thing is expensive though, and it seems to me that it would be a pain to try and haul it to the range for any real work....
Yep! The range should buy one or a few. Not the individual golfer.

That's what I've done. Read up on proper technique, then try to execute it when I have that lie on the course.

That thing is expensive though, and it seems to me that it would be a pain to try and haul it to the range for any real work. I suppose that you could make your own... doesn't look that difficult. Just some plywood with 2x4's for bracing. Add a good turf mat and you have it. I'm not that dedicated though. :confused2:

Pelz shows you how to make something similair. It uses plywood, a couple hinges and I can't remember exactly what the framing was. You pretty much end up with plywood that hinges in the middle so you can vary the angles. It's in his book Damage Control which also details how to hit the shots. You may be able to find the design on the web. It looks pretty easy to do, maybe an hour or 2 to assemble.

Looking for a golf tip - Downhill lie

For some reason I am having alot of trouble hitting a ball that is below my feet. I never had this problem in the past and unfortunately for me, the last 2 course heavily favored right handed players (I am lefty) so I had quite a few downhill lies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've always been told to try and keep your shoulders parallel to the slope of the hill and it was worked well for me so far :D

I've always been told to try and keep your shoulders parallel to the slope of the hill and it was worked well for me so far :D

Setup is HUGE. If you setup up correctly you wont have to make much more adjustments to the swing.

Down hill as in the grade is down hill twards the hole, or the the ball is below your feet at address?

Ball is below my feet at address.

Down hill as in the grade is down hill twards the hole, or the the ball is below your feet at address?
I had the same confusion.

Ball is below my feet at address.
I call that a sidehill lie. You can also have a sidehill lie where your feet are below the ball.

I've always taken a little more club, swung easier and aimed right if it's above my feet, or aimed left if it's below my feet. If it's below your feet you gotta squat a little too. If that's not right then I've been doing wrong all this time.

Of course, I am probably not the first person you want to talk to about this! haha

For sidehill lies I was taught when the ball is above your feet to choke down on the club but then stand with a little more upright spine-angle and aim right. For ball below your feet do the opposite with a bit wider stance and plenty of knee bend and aim left for the fade. Of course, I suck so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I just bend my knees more and aim left (right for you)

I call that a sidehill lie. You can also have a sidehill lie where your feet are below the ball.

I've always taken a little more club, swung easier and aimed right if it's above my feet, or aimed left if it's below my feet. If it's below your feet you gotta squat a little too. If that's not right then I've been doing wrong all this time.

Of course, I am probably not the first person you want to talk to about this! haha

That's exactly you want to do. Just remember to swing easier than you usually do so that you dont top the ball or hit it thin.

tom watson's lessons of a lifetime says you should 1.) set your spine parallel to the surface of the slope. so left shoulder low, right shoulder high. 2.) Then lean over a little more - and 3.) play the ball back in your stance. As you take practice swings notice where the bottom of your swing is. you want the ball 1/2" back of that. So you hit the ballfirst and makea descending blow. If you have it too far forward, where youd normally play it, youll hit it fat.

This video helped me a lot.

Seve stated that to get to a ball below your feet you want to widen your stance to lower your shoulders. I do this and aim left to off set the fade ball flight common from this lye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back