Loft versus Launch Angle (or how I learned to hate strong lofts)

SharkHat

Aquatic Headwear Fanatic
Reaction score
Handicap
My swing
So other threads won't continue to get hijacked, here ya go.

Forged clubs have then correct loft. Everything else is an insult to Old Tom Morris.

This topic is the Borg of THP - resistance is futile.

I even understand why the misconception exists.

Slightly more seriously, and to throw Fourwiggles a bone, I could potentially get on board with his standards concept if it was based on launch. I don't care how a company gets there or does it or how far the club goes, as long as a particular iron has the basic characteristics of what that club 'should have', which for me is launch.

Slightly more seriously, and to throw Fourwiggles a bone, I could potentially get on board with his standards concept if it was based on launch. I don't care how a company gets there or does it or how far the club goes, as long as a particular iron has the basic characteristics of what that club 'should have', which for me is launch.

My only problem with that is that launch is not only determined by the club head. But also by the swing producing the ball flight.

Slightly more seriously, and to throw Fourwiggles a bone, I could potentially get on board with your standards concept if it was based on launch. I don't care how a company gets there or does it or how far the club goes, as long as a particular iron has the basic characteristics of what that club 'should have', which for me is launch.

Who should publish that standard? And what happens when we start hearing about Taylormade only getting distance gains because their 7 Iron launches one degree low?

My only problem with that is that launch is not only determined by the club head. But also by the swing producing the ball flight.

Bingo. The golf swing, itself, is an art. Yes there I science involved, but it's so personal that it is impossible to standardize.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I'm trying to play nicely...

I was envisioning something like every club had to be put on an Iron Biron and be within a range for launch...then there were would be standardization that benefits players (or at least produces some certainty about a key characteristic) but also all leaves kinds of room for innovation.

I'm trying to play nicely...

I was envisioning something like every club had to be put on an Iron Biron and be within a range for launch...then there were would be standardization that benefits players (or at least produces some certainty about a key characteristic) but also all leaves kinds of room for innovation.

You don't think that this is what the companies are already doing themselves?

You don't think that this is what the companies are already doing themselves?

I think they are adhering to a defacto standard but it isn't widely published as a standard. That lack of socialization is a big part of what leads to this whole damn discussion because people (myself included up to about 6 weeks ago) think loft determines the number on the club. Making it a published standard so it is more prominently understood spreads knowledge and, most importantly, terminates the need for this debate on THP :banana:

My additional question is this. Who's getting hurt by it?

My additional question is this. Who's getting hurt by it?

The people who play older irons. And now their playing partners have caught up distancewise

I don't care, put whatever number you want on the club, as long as I am gapless from drive to putt, and the clubs are discernible from one another I don't care.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Last edited:
None of this matters to me. If I like the ball flight and consistency with which I hit a new iron set I'll go with it. The number written on the bottom of the club, or the loft compared to another set doesn't really matter to me. I'm going to have my own distances for the irons that will be way different from Golfer B or Golfer C and so on.

Ughh, this is too much like my geometry and physics classes:)

I don't care, put whatever number you want on the club, as long as I am gapless from drive to putt, and the clubs are discernible from one another I don't care.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

my thoughts exactly.

I think they are adhering to a defacto standard but it isn't widely published as a standard. That lack of socialization is a big part of what leads to this whole damn discussion because people (myself included up to about 6 weeks ago) think loft determines the number on the club. Making it a published standard so it is more prominently understood spreads knowledge and, most importantly, terminates the need for this debate on THP :banana:

I think this discussion only takes place on THP. The general masses don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. All they know is Jack hit a 7i back in his day 150yds and DJ is hitting a 7i 190yds today. They want to know why and how this happening in general terms, and that would be the loft on the club. Sure you could get into all the other stuff, launch angle, where he places the the ball in his stance, flex of the shaft, kick points, the arc of his swing, etc, etc, etc but loft is the universal thing people understand. In the end I don't think you can standardize it.

So other threads won't continue to get hijacked, here ya go.

Grrr.... :wink:

I think this discussion only takes place on THP. The general masses don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. All they know is Jack hit a 7i back in his day 150yds and DJ is hitting a 7i 190yds today. They want to know why and how this happening in general terms, and that would be the loft on the club. Sure you could get into all the other stuff, launch angle, where he places the the ball in his stance, flex of the shaft, kick points, the arc of his swing, etc, etc, etc but loft is the universal thing people understand. In the end I don't think you can standardize it.

I promised myself not to get involved in this thread. I think I can, I think I can, I think...

Could not agree more.

We've got to the stage where the prolific number of wedges available make it impossible to simply classify these clubs as anything other than Wedges. What distinguishes these clubs is the degree of loft shown on the sole.

Perhaps the time has come for manufacturers to simply show the loft of the club on the sole of all irons. I for one am only interested in how far I hit each club and that I have the clubs necessary to cover the yardages from driver through to putter (thank you Rhyno and halfpennyhacker).

I don't care if my playing partners hit their 7 iron 160 yds (or whatever), I know I hit my 7 iron 130 yds in normal conditions and thats all I need to know. The same principle applies to the rest of the clubs in my bag.

I even understand why the misconception exists.

I don't think you do...

I tried to refrain but I just cannot. Please read this LINK, please!

[h=2]Numbers[/h]The numbers stamped or marked on the heads of golf clubs relate to the club's loft. Fairway woods and irons are the clubs that are always stamped, although specialty clubs also carry some form of identification. A 4-iron, for example, has less loft than a 9-iron. In the same way, a 3-wood has less loft than a 7-wood.

I don't think you do...

I tried to refrain but I just cannot. Please read this LINK, please!

Numbers

The numbers stamped or marked on the heads of golf clubs relate to the club's loft. Fairway woods and irons are the clubs that are always stamped, although specialty clubs also carry some form of identification. A 4-iron, for example, has less loft than a 9-iron. In the same way, a 3-wood has less loft than a 7-wood.

Nobody is saying that that's completely incorrect. It is, however, a very simplified explanation. Within a given set of clubs, the number indicates the loft of the club relative to other clubs in the set. Yes, there are traditional ranges of loft for these clubs.

You're still ignoring the principal that center of gravity impacts launch angle for any given loft. If all irons were blades, the issue would be much less noticeable, since the CG would be less easy to manipulate. However, in SGI clubs, where the goal is to get the CG very low to aid launch angle and forgiveness, you can end up with a very high launch that would leave a given club underperforming for distance. How do you correct that? Lower the loft to get the launch back to where it should be.

Would a 9.5* driver head on a 37" shaft I as far as a 9.5* driver head on a 44" shaft?

Back