Loft Marketing Hype??

Yes, it would be very unfortunate if there were.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I don't think a forum can exist without them. Not because they are an integral part of a forum, but because of who they are.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I don't think a forum can exist without them. Not because they are an integral part of a forum, but because of who they are.

You're correct in that it is a matter of opinion and both outside and inside information can influence what is called a troll and what is called.....

I will gladly discuss this in private if you wish, but I am going to go some beer so it may be a short while.

PM sent.

I do apologize for the last few public messages. I thought that the thread was making progress...or at least getting ready to disappear. I really don't want to believe that there are any trolls here (is that an -ist?).

There is some good debate in here and some things that didn't a bunch of sense. I think it's definitely run its course since there really isn't much more that can be said. Happy holidays all :)

I tapped, I talked.

i agree with you sean but to be fair, it's not really relevant to the thread imo. it's all about strong lofts, why they're being used, whether it's something that is intended to help golfers or to sell golf clubs for OEMs.

Ding Ding Ding. If we have a thread on scoring and I keep bringing up strong lofted marketing, I would assume I would get zero response as well.

agreed. perhaps we caught up in a lot of things surrounding this game and we lose sight of what the ultimate goal is (at least for me) and that's to break par.

Scoring can be directly reflected in our equipment. Example, many us of are playing clubs that we thought were full of forgiveness. Who knew we could switch to Phil's irons and have more distance and forgiveness than ever before? :alien:

There is some good debate in here and some things that didn't a bunch of sense. I think it's definitely run its course since there really isn't much more that can be said. Happy holidays all :)

I tapped, I talked.

Agreed.

The thing is, most of the stronger lofted irons are going just as high, And have just as much spin and maybe even launch as the 'honest' lofted clubs. Technology is just allowing you to hit them farther because of Ballspeed. I would venture to guess thAt a burner 2.0 and an honest pw ball flight would look similar, and stop similar on the green, except all that extra distance. It still performs like a pw from a technical aspect, just distance wise it's outperforming the honest brand.

Referencing hitting an 8 iron like a 5 iron is irrelevant because one you need to hit higher and stop faster. They perform in two very different ways and the only thing that correlates is the distance.

We should all be thanking technology for allowing a 42* wedge to perform like an honest one. Now that I think about it, technology made honest forum members possible too. :alien:. So there's real distance, and forum distance.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

You do realize that almost every company does that now right? In fact take a look at the example you used. Wilson

Go to their home page and they have a bunch of little boxes. Directly under More Distance it says Get Fit

And in the big box next to it they have 4 pictures and one of them is Get Fit.

Taylormade & Callaway have fitting centers across the US and independent fitters at pro shops everywhere.

Titleist has the same and is the largest presence in green grass pro shops on the planet.

Found out there are some Titleist dealers and fitters in town. I don't know how the country club pro-shops work but one is at a city course and it's the only one marked as outside for fitting anyway. The nice thing is that it is the course I was planning on visiting after Christmas to donate some of the stuff I don't use anymore to the First Tee (if they want it).

The Wilson Get Fit was interesting. If I'd gone through that awhile ago I would never have been looking at the Di series and then I would never had started this thread. :silly: Oops :silly:

/SNIP ...The nice thing is that it is the course I was planning on visiting after Christmas to donate some of the stuff I don't use anymore to the First Tee (if they want it)...

I am taking this way off topic with this but I don't care.

WAY TO GO c_ault!

This thread is making my head hurt :banghead:

Loft is ONE factor in how far a club goes. As many of you read, last week I went to Golftec and hit the Burner 2.0 6 iron 34 yards further than the X22 6 iron on average. Is the Burner 6 iron a stronger loft? Yes it's equal to the X22 5 iron. But, the Burner 6 iron was 20 yards longer than the Callaway 5 even though they had IDENTICAL LOFTS. Why? I'll answer that below, but here are the specs...

Loft Lie Length Swingweight
Callaway X22 6 iron 30º 62.0º 37.25 D2

Burner 2.0 6 iron 27* 62.5* 37.625 D3.5

Callaway X22 5 iron 27º 61.5º 37.75 D2

With the X22 my launch angle was an atrocious 9* average on 5 swings. With the stronger lofted 2.0 6 iron my launch angle WENT UP to 15*+ (still not optimal, but much improved).

Now, did the ball go farther partly because the club had less loft? Yes, of course. But the majority of the gain was OBVIOUSLY because the ball got up in the air properly and therefore had a fighting chance to go an appropriate distance.

Another example - TC tells me he couldn't hit his X22 3 iron but CRUSHES his 2.0 3 iron. The Burner 3 iron is 2* stronger and the shaft is 3/4 of an inch longer. By old-school logic it should therefore be harder to hit, bordering on impossible (it's practically a 2 iron) yet that's not the case.

Frankly, I'm not sure how anyone can read the above and say that all the Mfrs. are doing is decreasing loft. It's blatantly obvious that's not all they're doing. TM has somehow built a 6 iron that goes farther than my X22 4 iron while having a higher ball flight which leads to a softer landing allowing for more control. That is a total REVOLUTION IN CLUB DESIGN not just stronger lofts.

I've read most of this thread, skimmed some of it, and goodness gracious I want to just close the laptop.

I think what Flooder said should pretty much answer the debate.

I'm in marketing. Let's say a golf club was just solid metal and had no differences in technology. If I marketed my 6 iron against the competitors 6 iron and claimed more distance, but my loft was stronger, and ALL OTHER VARIABLES WERE CONSTANT then yes, I'd feel a bit deceiving. A bit like it's false "hype." However, if you read Flooder's post, ALL THINGS ARE NOT CONSTANT. Other variables are changed and technology is indeed different.

So, let's take two clubs with the same loft. If you look at the club that is 27*, the lie, length, and swing weight are all different. So loft is not the only thing that differentiates a Burner 2.0 6i from an X22 6i.

Furthermore, if you take the 27* club of both brands, the Burner still went further for Flooder. Because the loft is the same, but other variables are different.

Like I said, if they were just a solid piece of metal with no technology, then yes, claiming a stronger lofted 6i went further than lesser lofted 6i might be deceiving. But it doesn't look like that's the only different variable at play. They've changed some other factors besides the loft and it seems to work.

With that said, someone please by me some Burner 2.0s. I'll PM you my shipping address and give you my R7s.

I'll take your R7's, and send you the TM page of the new Edwin Watts catologue.
I've read most of this thread, skimmed some of it, and goodness gracious I want to just close the laptop.

I think what Flooder said should pretty much answer the debate.

I'm in marketing. Let's say a golf club was just solid metal and had no differences in technology. If I marketed my 6 iron against the competitors 6 iron and claimed more distance, but my loft was stronger, and ALL OTHER VARIABLES WERE CONSTANT then yes, I'd feel a bit deceiving. A bit like it's false "hype." However, if you read Flooder's post, ALL THINGS ARE NOT CONSTANT. Other variables are changed and technology is indeed different.

So, let's take two clubs with the same loft. If you look at the club that is 27*, the lie, length, and swing weight are all different. So loft is not the only thing that differentiates a Burner 2.0 6i from an X22 6i.

Furthermore, if you take the 27* club of both brands, the Burner still went further for Flooder. Because the loft is the same, but other variables are different.

Like I said, if they were just a solid piece of metal with no technology, then yes, claiming a stronger lofted 6i went further than lesser lofted 6i might be deceiving. But it doesn't look like that's the only different variable at play. They've changed some other factors besides the loft and it seems to work.

With that said, someone please by me some Burner 2.0s. I'll PM you my shipping address and give you my R7s.

Back