Local golf course you can’t stand

MWard

I do not play well with others
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I was talking with a buddy of mine today who asked if I wanted to play golf this weekend so I asked where.
He mentioned a course very close to me that I just absolutely hate with a fiery passion. I would rather set the money on fire then spend four hours at that course. It got me thinking, are there any courses nearby to you that you would do anything to not play there?

There are courses that I dislike. But truth be told I'll play pretty much anywhere

There is one. Pebble Brook. It always has “Hot Deals” on the popular booking sites. Took a flyer one day and went out because it was $25 with cart. Absolute hot mess. Won’t be back.

There's one I simply wont go to. Everytime I went, I would run into maintenance crews holding up play, extremely slow players, fairways COVERED in sand, greens being overwatered to the point they wont hardly roll in the middle of summer etc. I had a streak of one frustrating round after another and vowed to never return!

Yes. Literally the closest course to me. Which is annoying for that reason. I hate it because of the layout of the 4th hole which is a forced layup double dog leg with water too. Then the 3rd is my 2nd hated, another forced layup dog leg just due to crap design.

Last but not least, same course 11th hole is pretty much a horseshoe design. You can either layup on to a tier and play back down around a corner, or if you get lucky you can actually bounce and roll back down off that same tier round the corner...

There are too many other good courses close enough to go to that I just avoid that one once I realized how bad it is.

There's one locally that I turn down invites to quite a bit. Don't want to be specific, but they increased their membership dramatically last year, are open to the public (semi-private), have 8 minute tee times, no marshals, WAY too many entitled members who don't care about pace, constant CPO because it's a marsh, and I don't find it very challenging usually. So it's mostly a pass for me. I'll go there if I have 5 1/2 hours to kill and want to feel good about my game though.

Last edited:
Par Line. I will not give them my money.

1647040934051.jpeg

There are a couple but it has more to do with price that doesn’t match course conditions you would expect. Then there are a few that are in terrible shape and if the round was free I still wouldn’t play there

We only have three local courses and one of them is private. So two options and while one is SOOOOO much better than the other, I go to it every once in awhile for a change of pace. And it's not even close to bad enough to turn it down in general

Yes there are a couple I avoid based on price or pace of play

There are a couple locally that are like a roller coaster when it comes to course condition, depending on current ownership/mgmnt. One time they'll have nice greens and fairways, very playable; the next time they'll be like a goat ranch with crappy greens, bone dry fairways, sandless hardpan bunkers. I've gotten to where i've stopped playing them because i didn't like being surprised with what the course would be like. :cautious:

Put me on any golf course on earth and I'm happy. If there is a local one I try to avoid its Balboa. It's actually a really fun course with unique holes and amazing views of downtown San Diego and very cheap since it's a muni. Problem is that it's very narrow and misses are usually OB. Some of my friends tear it up since it's on the shorter end but as a longer wilder hitter it eats me alive. I play way worse than my handicap there so tend to avoid tee times there.

Bayonet, one of the courses at Bayonet Black Horse. I think it’s rated as one of the top 50 in California. I just don’t get the appeal, it’s garbage! Black Horse is a much better track in every sense!!!

Ocotillo Golf Resort

Bayonet, one of the courses at Bayonet Black Horse. I think it’s rated as one of the top 50 in California. I just don’t get the appeal, it’s garbage! Black Horse is a much better track in every sense!!!

I love both of those. I used to play in a 36 hole men's club event where we played both. Favorite event of the year.

10 minutes from me there was one built maybe 20 years ago along with a huge development. It never really got traction. It was a nice course but it had tricked up greens, multiple forced carries, tons of bunkers, water problems and erosion problems during rains. The driving range went first, built more homes on it. They put up nets to warm up. I played there tuesdays , 25 bucks with cart. It closed 2 years ago. I hate to see courses close but, except for $25 senior tuesdays, I don’t miss it much

Yes, just one. They have an 18 hole course and a 9 hole course. They don't allow walking on the 18 (even when no one else is out), the cart path is really bumpy in spots and I play worse than usual on it. The 9 hole course is great however. They allow walking, it's in ok shape and I tend to play better on it.

There have been two in my golfing career:
1) Generals Ridge in Manassas VA. Just a bad design in every sense of the word. That is why it closed.
2) A local muni that is the home of the 5 hour round. Got a Snickers...

There are two newer courses in this area designed by the same guy. One we love, and the other not so much! One is built on kind of an "extreme" piece of property, that is cut by many deep ravines. He designed a course that is just too difficult for us oldsters to play! One mishit and you are dead meat on a stick!

At the other course, while still challenging, we don't find the challenges to be too extreme. There is housing near both courses, but at the course that we like, there is no housing on the back 9! In fact, it's like playing in a nature preserve! Which much of it is!

Ocotillo Golf Resort
Uggh

I lived on that course my first year in AZ. Now it’s part of my Arcis membership. Still haven’t played it.

Since it was my own thread, I'll add the course I was talking about. TPC Tampa Bay. I would rather run myself over with my own car than pay what they charge.

There are two newer courses in this area designed by the same guy. One we love, and the other not so much! One is built on kind of an "extreme" piece of property, that is cut by many deep ravines. He designed a course that is just too difficult for us oldsters to play! One mishit and you are dead meat on a stick!

At the other course, while still challenging, we don't find the challenges to be too extreme. There is housing near both courses, but at the course that we like, there is no housing on the back 9! In fact, it's like playing in a nature preserve! Which much of it is!
The Quarry and Eagle Creek?

I wouldn't go as far as 'can't stand it' but there's a local muni I avoid because it just doesn't do anything for me. Horton Smith golf course gets a lot of local play. The price, pace, and staff are all good and the conditions are probably better than expected given the price. The memorabilia hanging on the walls is pretty awesome too, given Smith's career and the legends he competed against. But the golf course itself is just boring. I like having to hit various quality shots to score and/or avoid penal situations and I just don't get that from Horton Smith. One boring shot after another and then tally up the bets and drive home.

Back