ANNOUNCEMENT Live Q&A with Ian and Mike from Club Champion 9/21

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Many of you have been long time followers of @ianfrasergolf and @mikeclubc from their YouTube channel. For years now they have done live streams and videos on equipment and fitting and we are excited that this continues on THP. If you missed the last one, join us and ask anything you would like and the guys will be here on the 21st to answer.

This is the September 21st edition and it will run every two weeks.

The YouTube and social media audience will also be joining in here as a place to ask questions, converse with Ian and Mike as well as everybody here.

So what would you like to learn more about?

Love that this is becoming a regular thing.

A question I have would be what product lines do you guys feel are in need of a refresh? Whether it be tech or visual or messaging. For you or for your customers. We're in some pretty subtle changes to some established lines right now, so what's starting to feel a little stale and needing an injection of excitement for you?

This will be awesome, the last one was amazing and was an absolute carpet bombing of knowledge. Love that it seems it will become a regular thing!

Would they consider ever doing a blind shaft fitting for themselves or their clients?

This might have been asked and answered before. I am curious as to a fitters thoughts on graphite vs steel shaft for wedges. Most of the time you are not swinging full, but I wonder if it is better for feel to have the same graphite shafts throughout the bag.

One of my favorite new THP things.

How often do they do ball fittings for clients?

What are your guys thoughts and takes on MOI matching a set of irons vs swing weight?

Love these!!

Va Composites shafts. They seem to perform better than most which get much more press. Why is that?

Is there such a thing as a client who knows too much, and does it hamper the ability to give them a proper fitting?

Would you rather someone who is a blank slate, or someone who has opinions on if a shaft is good/bad for them?

If you had to put a number on it, what is the average amount a client spends on a driver after your fitting?

This is going to be fun.
For @mikeclubc how do you feel about the Giants right now?

Those two are so busy, they just opened another huge location in Canada.

When building a set of single length set of irons do you install per usual (8i to 8 and so on) or based on the iron being mimicked (7,6i through the set). If doing the former do you frequency match or do the irons fall where they may?

I love their channel. They do things the right way, but making the content fun, well organized and informative.

My question is what should a fitter’s approach be to a fitting when a client comes in and simply leaves his/her swing at home that day? Example… Sometimes, my swing goes completely haywire and I struggle severely with heel strikes leading to shanks. It happened to me yesterday, when I had been striking the ball well for most of the summer. If I would have showed up to a fitting, it would have been a miserable experience. What should the approach be in such a circumstance?

Many of you have been long time followers of @ianfrasergolf and @mikeclubc from their YouTube channel. For years now they have done live streams and videos on equipment and fitting and we are excited that this continues on THP. If you missed the last one, join us and ask anything you would like and the guys will be here on the 21st to answer.

This is the September 21st edition and it will run every two weeks.

The YouTube and social media audience will also be joining in here as a place to ask questions, converse with Ian and Mike as well as everybody here.

So what would you like to learn more about?
Appreciate the Q&A from these folks! They definitely know what they are talking about

Where do either of you like to start with the fitting? Do you prefer heads then shafts? What is the optimal way to do a fitting?

Thanks

So I have my fitting on 10/7. What are 3 things I should keep in mind when going in for the fitting?

Should be a fun day!
Some good questions so far.

What equipment brands do you use in the building studios (loft/lie machine/gauges, saws, belt sanders, epoxy, SW scales…)?

Do you prefer to bore hosels, or file shafts from .370 to .355?

Preferred way to make head weight adjustments on heads not easily or at all changeable through OEM adjustments?

This might have been asked and answered before. I am curious as to a fitters thoughts on graphite vs steel shaft for wedges. Most of the time you are not swinging full, but I wonder if it is better for feel to have the same graphite shafts throughout the bag.
Definitely an interesting topic. Most fittings that involve using graphite shafts in irons still default to steel in wedges. I think this is due to the variety of partial shots golfers play with the wedges, the extra weight from steel is useful from a "feel" perspective. I don't see a downside to having graphite in the wedges though as long as the weight is appropriate.

One of my favorite new THP things.

How often do they do ball fittings for clients?
We don't do many stand alone ball fittings but we have integrated ball fitting into all of our fitting services where possible. The only place here is Canada we can't currently offer that is at our outdoor fitting location.

Is there a measurable benefit to switching to graphite iron shafts? Or is the performance typically the same, just with a less harsh feeling?

Saw Johnny Wunder's putter fitting with Ian last night (the Atlanta vs Two Ball), what was the 3rd putter leaning against the deck in the video with the very long SuperStroke grip on it?

After a putter fitting like JDub's, will the customer always take the better result putter? Or is it still mainly a desire vs result debate discussion, with desire winning out?

Back