ANNOUNCEMENT Live Q&A with Ian and Mike from Club Champion 10/12

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Many of you have been long time followers of @ianfrasergolf and @mikeclubc from their YouTube channel. For years now they have done live streams and videos on equipment and fitting and we are excited that this continues on THP. If you missed the last one, join us and ask anything you would like and the guys will be here on Thursday the 12th to answer

This is the October 12th edition and it will run every two weeks.

The YouTube and social media audience will also be joining in here as a place to ask questions, converse with Ian and Mike as well as everybody here.

So what would you like to learn more about?

After my fitting I definitely have questions now.

How many swings would you say is enough to determine if a setup works or not? Or if 1 of the components works and a shaft/head change is better than a whole new build.

Is there a shaft manufacturer that seems to be your easiest to fit into with their range? Kbs, Nippon, Accra, and so on?

I may need to take a trip to Toronto. I've completely lost my iron game. Mike and Ian what's your availability...say late November??? 😂

Ooohh I got one. What club(s) do they generally see the most improvement in for players after being fitted?

First, love that this is contiuing to happen! Question is how often should someone be fit? Every year, even if they stay with the same clubs or just for new setups?

• Admin
Tomorrow is the day!

What are your guys thoughts and takes on MOI matching a set of irons vs swing weight?

When building a set of single length set of irons do you install per usual (8i to 8 and so on) or based on the iron being mimicked (7,6i through the set). If doing the former do you frequency match or do the irons fall where they may?

What equipment brands do you use in the building studios (loft/lie machine/gauges, saws, belt sanders, epoxy, SW scales…)?

Do you prefer to bore hosels, or file shafts from .370 to .355?

Preferred way to make head weight adjustments on heads not easily or at all changeable through OEM adjustments?

How much do you go into swing weight during a fitting? Is this ever a consideration or not something that is particularly important?

How much do you go into swing weight during a fitting? Is this ever a consideration or not something that is particularly important?
Love this question, especially as someone who 'casually' has built some sets and overlooked the weighting haha

I'm curious if you have any tips for managing reasonable swingweights with lighter graphite iron shafts? That's been one of my biggest de-motivators to making the switch.

Recently you posted a video with Mac, about adjusting wedges.

Do you think it would be as beneficial for golfers who are far less consistent with their wedges?

In the Toronto area, how much longer is your golf season going to go?

Here in Manitoba it is pretty much done already.

Should wedge shafts be heavier than iron shafts? Or the Same?

Is there a 'rush' season for fitting, and what months are the craziest?

Do you find golfers more willing to change during the golf season or outside of it?

Outside of grip size changes, do you see a noticeable performance change in players by switching to different grips? Like cord vs non-cord etc.

When fitting the top of the bag in between driver and 4 or 5 iron.... if someone doesn't like having a 3 wood, what replacement would you work on fitting them into? and if 5 wood is the only answer why is that?

Outside of grip size changes, do you see a noticeable performance change in players by switching to different grips? Like cord vs non-cord etc.
I think this is a beautifully complex question because I recently watched someone go from thinking an iron was 'okay' with a stock-ish grip on it to thinking it was awesome with his go-to grip on it. Makes me intrigued as I assume all the fitting grips are the same.

When fitting someone for an iron shaft and thinking of flex, how do you know when to move them to a different flex? Are their like words you listen for from them or numbers that tell you to go lighter or stiffer?

Hey guys!!! Thanks for taking the time to do this again.

My question is about lie angle. Have you ever setup anyone with a progressive lie setting? Meaning, say from below the 7 iron the lie is more flat and then above the 7 it’s more upright. I’ll actually start with about a .5* flat going down to 1-1.5 flat in my wedges, then the opposite going from my 6 to 4. I don’t have a blended set or anything, but found this is what works for me.

Thanks guys

What was the last club that came in where you guys looked at the stock setup and thought…yeah this works nicely and could game it without diving into the crazy number of available shafts at your disposal?

Again, thanks for coming back! What are your thoughts about the Axiom shafts (saw your videos about them) and what type of player would these be aimed at?

Few questions …

1. When doing a fitting should one start at the top of the bag or the bottom?

2. How is swing weight factored in and how does it affect one’s swing?

3. Do you feel most people enter a fitting overthinking the process? What should be the right mind set?

Distance or Disperson that is the question...if you can only have one during a driver fitting which would it be? And does your answer change for irons?

For someone who has played KBS Tour 130x for years, but is interested in trying graphite, what options should be considered?

Back