NEWS LIV Golf and PGA Tour Merging

These "PGAT players you speak about, to form a break away league will face the same issues that LIV faced. I don't see it occurring, first, money, second, asking players to give up their "day" job for a chance where they are suspended like the LIV golfers, third, name recognition. IF they don't have "stars" there will be no money for purses which means from sponsors, ( you say there will be sponsors that is pure speculation on your part unless you have loads of money to pitch it). You mention LIV had a following, well $620 BIllion PLUS from the PIF has a way of making that happen. . Its DOA. These unhappy players will suck it up, either quit, or play golf for the PGAT.
One last point, they’re not welcome back until they are...don’t kid yourself into thinking that the PGAT doesn’t need its star power, how much have you tuned into the DP World Tour or Korn Ferry, if a lot, I stand corrected, however, I on the other hand couldn’t tell you a thing about any of the other Tours...but I’m just one guy too! 👍

It's right here:

" Al-Rumayyan made it fairly clear that, although PIF invested much more than $1 billion in LIV, it mostly wanted to be a major part of golf. LIV was a means to the end."

Jimmy Dunne, the Architect of the PGA Tour-LIV Golf Deal, Lays Out the Details - Sports Illustrated Golf: News, Scores, Equipment, Instruction, Travel, Courses

That’s what the PGAT (JD) is claiming. Shipnuck reported this yesterday:

”What people fail to understand is that LIV is H.E.’s baby,” says another LIV executive. “He has poured his heart into its creation.” This included numerous meetings in which Al-Rumayyan fussed over every detail, down to the look of the LIV logo.”

My guess is at the beginning he just wanted to be a major part of golf, but when Monahan blew him off he decided to go a different direction. He doesn’t seem the type to just walk away and accept defeat either. But what’s the truth? Who knows.

So let's say that this merger goes through and LIV players want back on the tour....I have a take on how it should be done.

The LIV players shouldn't be fined and the PGA players shouldn't be compensated.

Players on both sides made business decisions. On the PGA players side, they had an opportunity to make more money. Purses went up. Designated events were created giving them access to more money (play better!!!) I don't think there was a single event that was cancelled due to LIV, was there? On the LIV players side, fining them and letting them back is too easy. They should be excluded from any sponsors exemptions on any tour for a minimum of 2 years (# of LIV seasons played,) and if they truly want back in, you have to earn it. How? Congrats, you are now Korn Ferry Tour players. Get your card back via the KF Tour or by qualifying for and winning a major. After all.....golf IS a meritocracy, right??? This could also
"grow the game" by increasing attendance and eyes at KF Tour events.

Rahm hasn’t left.

He can’t leave now, there’s nowhere else to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They could form a new league, at the end of the day it’s high-level, televised golf, we watch the golf, not the CEO and admin folks, heck, there are groups of hackers like us that have a decent following on YouTube...if they organize and create a viable Tour, partner up with some company like Prime to broadcast it...there will be sponsors that will want a piece of the action, heck, even LIV had a following in it’s short time...if you build it, they will come...will it grow? That’s TBD...👍

The only reasons the players are pissed are:

1. Monahan made them look like idiots.
2. Monahan sold them out to line his pockets.
3. They missed out on the mega $$$ the LIV guys got.

They’ll get past 1 and 2, and once they see how much more cash they’ll be making with the PIF as their partners there will be no desire to break off and form a new league. The fans may want it but at the end of the day the drama will fade and the fans will follow the golf. They know it, Monahan knows it, the Saudis know it, and history knows it.

Also LIV doesn't have to pay big bucks anymore. LIV now owns the PGAT

If all this is true thus changes a lot of things.
It totally changed my understanding of what has and is happening. Coupled with Greg being relatively quiet, it’s starting to make sense.

I guess we will find out in the years to come. (if the DOJ approves the merger if they even look into it) Like they say, too early to tell so all we, the poor little forum users can do, is speculate.

You would think the DOJ has more important things to worry about than a golf merger.

The key words in the whole article by Shipnuck are " money always wins. Al-Rumayyan controls the money, so he controls the future of professional golf, even if he is graciously allowing Monahan to be in charge of the day-to-day bureaucracy ". Its always about the money plan and simple.
Question. I am a couple pages behind so maybe this has been addressed. From the SI article Dunne stated the PIF hasn't put a dime into the new entity yet but most certainly will. The numbers I have been reading is billions, but that they will still be the minority investor and that the PGAT will also be throwing in billions and be the majority investor. So if money always wins, and those who hold the purse strings make the rules, doesn't that mean the PGAT is actually in charge, holding 3 of 5 board seats, CEO position, and majority investor?

Monahan cashed in before the rest of the tour players could. He used their leverage for his own gain.

Kind of like insider stock trading.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that, @David7.

Regarding...
If LIV golfers want to play on the Tour, Monahan and the current PGA Tour leaders have to approve the terms. Monahan has banned them; it is presumed that penalties to return to the Tour will be significant.
and
Dunne did not discuss penalties for LIV golfers trying to return to the PGA Tour– or how PGA Tour players who turned down LIV money can now make up the difference. But Monahan has power that he can use as a hammer (with massive fines) and creatively. This year, for example, the Tour is doling out $100 million to its most popular players via its Player Impact Program. Suppose Monahan tells LIV players they can return, but they have to pay a fine and will be ineligible for the PIP for the next 10 years. That would ensure that over the next decade, $1 billion (or more) will go only to players who stayed.
I have to believe Al-Rumayyan wouldn't leave his players completely hung out to dry. That, while there may be nothing on paper, he and PGAT have reached some sort of gentleman's agreement they won't beat these guys up too badly if (when?) they want to return to PGAT.

Perhaps just wishful thinking on my part.

As I said...will never happen, those that attempt it would have to have the stomach for what follows, not many do these days based on the conversations that I see coming out of the camps...I’m not naive enough to think this would come to reality, it is possible, but so not probable! There’s big money out there to kickstart the idea, to see if it had any future...also the ability to broadcast it...many don’t sit on the edge of their seats wondering where the bottom 50-120 finish, so the star power would get more eyes on it than the other Tour...
Tiger Woods, Phil Knight, and a Wall Street investor. Put those 3 entities together and you have a new professional golf tour.

Question. I am a couple pages behind so maybe this has been addressed. From the SI article Dunne stated the PIF hasn't put a dime into the new entity yet but most certainly will. The numbers I have been reading is billions, but that they will still be the minority investor and that the PGAT will also be throwing in billions and be the majority investor. So if money always wins, and those who hold the purse strings make the rules, doesn't that mean the PGAT is actually in charge, holding 3 of 5 board seats, CEO position, and majority investor?
I for one don’t think the PGAT has the funds, if they did there would have never been a merger. As Monohan noted it was about the money and PIF has the money.

I feel for Jimmy Dunne in that interview - he clearly had to make a choice that he wasn’t completely comfortable in what was going on but new there was no choice.

It was telling to me that he said he committed to seeing the merger through and that he was then Adios. He nearly teared up talking about how he felt about it

Hey JB,

You run contests sometimes. How about one about whether LIV has a 2024 season?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

So let's say that this merger goes through and LIV players want back on the tour....I have a take on how it should be done.

The LIV players shouldn't be fined and the PGA players shouldn't be compensated.

Players on both sides made business decisions. On the PGA players side, they had an opportunity to make more money. Purses went up. Designated events were created giving them access to more money (play better!!!) I don't think there was a single event that was cancelled due to LIV, was there? On the LIV players side, fining them and letting them back is too easy. They should be excluded from any sponsors exemptions on any tour for a minimum of 2 years (# of LIV seasons played,) and if they truly want back in, you have to earn it. How? Congrats, you are now Korn Ferry Tour players. Get your card back via the KF Tour or by qualifying for and winning a major. After all.....golf IS a meritocracy, right??? This could also
"grow the game" by increasing attendance and eyes at KF Tour events.
You had me at the start but lost me with the Korn ferry Nonsense.

You said it perfectly "both sides made business decisions", Those that took the money benefitted greatly at some personal cost (some more than others).
For the ones who chose to stay Tough luck you chose your path now deal with it as did Mickelson when he choose to leave and lost pretty much all his sponsors.

The PGA Tour made a deal because it was in their best intrest plain and simple.

Tiger Woods, Phil Knight, and a Wall Street investor. Put those 3 entities together and you have a new professional golf tour.
They don't have Saudi Money nor the History that some of the players were screaming about when it came to LIV.
Sure go start a new tour dump 1 billion into it and hope you can draw enough players away from the Saudi backed tour. That doesn't seem like a great bussiness model if you want to make money full well knowing the Saudis can outspend you and Money is not a concern for them.

I for one am glad to see this all come to an end. I really like some of the players who went to LIV and I am glad to see they will be all be back under the same roof competing at the highest level.

Last edited:
Hey JB,

You run contests sometimes. How about one about whether LIV has a 2024 season?

No thank you.

But I will add that tapatalk won’t be able to access THP soon, so hopefully your prize in the mail from the PGA Tour for no LIV but they own us is excellent.

No thank you.

But I will add that tapatalk won’t be able to access THP soon, so hopefully your prize in the mail from the PGA Tour for no LIV but they own us is excellent.
How do I get the without Tapatalk?

I can’t find ESPN actually reporting any of that? Maybe I just haven’t found it, but I think using the source that is allegedly reporting it is better than a random twitter claiming that ESPN is reporting something.

Back