Let’s Talk Club Building

I've done my own grips for a while now, but I started club building about 3 weeks ago. All because of the interesting knowledge I've read about on this site. I have been practicing pulling shafts from old crap clubs and swapping heads around and re-gluing them back together mainly for the experience and practice. I have also been trying to devise my own graphite shaft puller with some good success. I figure the next step is to start buying club components from Ebay or Golfworks and start making clubs that I would actually want to play with.

Changed shafts in 2 wedges today. They are out in my workshop curing and will be gripped tomorrow.

I don't have an elaborate setup but do have the necessary equipment to do everything except bend clubs for lie and loft. Hopefully someday I will get the necessary equipment to do that as well. Have been regripping my own clubs for as long as I can remember and have been building clubs for about 10 years. Really enjoy doing it.

I love to do it! Saves me $20+ Every time I need something done......Just done have the space at all to do it at home

Let's showcase the opposite side of the build set up. Probably a few dozen clubs have been through some parts of this set up so far.

Stuff too big to fit in drawers + other various projects take up 1/3 of work space.

20220531_203844.jpg

The heart of the build shop, a cheap vice from harbor freight jerry-rigged to a cheap table from harbor freight.

20220531_203857.jpg

The most expensive thing.

20220531_204001.jpg

Supply drawer roulette

20220531_203906.jpg

20220531_203916.jpg

20220531_203923.jpg

20220531_203934.jpg

Under shelf storage, fill bottles, knockoff dremel, grip solution tray/trash bin.

20220531_205046.jpg

Not pictured, economy swing weight scale. Has to be used on kitchen counter because workbench not level. 😆
drill with some little hosel brushes

Last edited:
I started out only really wanting to change my grips myself. Then stamping/paint filling wedges. Then building some putters.

and now my garage workbench is starting to take shape and I’m prepping for my first iron reshafting.

I’d like to thank @Golfers Anonymous for sherpa’ing me down this rabbit hole :LOL:

My obsession with tinkering and building is what got me involved with Xcaliber.
I like taking chances. Building setups outside the norms. Going super lite weight at times or building ultra heavy putters.
It's a great obsession.
I have a bad habits of dismantling something that works great.. trying to make it better.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

This was one of my favorite activities and I’ve invested a lot into the tools to do it periphery. Unfortunately, my rounds were way down in 2021 and I’ve only played 3, 18 hole rounds this year so the club building has taken a back seat. In fact, I’ve moved my mitchel on its stand out of the way since I don’t get any opportunity to use it. 😢😢😢

Just a table in my man cave. A vise, an old grinder and a swingweight scale. Paper plates for epoxy.

I've reshafted one set of irons and regripped them once but that's it and it's been years. Wouldn't mind getting into it deeper one day.

Enjoy building clubs but my setup and tools are ultra budget. I make it work though.
Thought about buying a shaft extractor and loft/lie machine.

Back a while ago when my 4 kids were coming up and started playing I slapped sets together for them. Had some friends and relatives also voice needs and I accommodated them. All I ever had was a basic swing weight scale and vice with rubber shaft holder. I still tinker but not that much. Do my grips that's about it.

Enjoy building clubs but my setup and tools are ultra budget. I make it work though.
Thought about buying a shaft extractor and loft/lie machine.
The shaft extractor was probably one of the best investments I’ve ever made. I used to do it without one and realize that is so much easier when you have a good shaft extractor. A loft/lie machine is a nice luxury.

I no longer have a work station or place to do my club work. I still have most tools except a shaft puller. I enjoy doing club work and will be doing some in the near future

Let's showcase the opposite side of the build set up. Probably a few dozen clubs have been through some parts of this set up so far.

Stuff too big to fit in drawers + other various projects take up 1/3 of work space.

View attachment 9092925

The heart of the build shop, a cheap vice from harbor freight jerry-rigged to a cheap table from harbor freight.

View attachment 9092926

The most expensive thing.

View attachment 9092928

Supply drawer roulette

View attachment 9092929

View attachment 9092930

View attachment 9092931

View attachment 9092932

Under shelf storage, fill bottles, knockoff dremel, grip solution tray/trash bin.

View attachment 9092933

Not pictured, economy swing weight scale. Has to be used on kitchen counter because workbench not level. 😆
drill with some little hosel brushes
Man that is a really nice set up!

I really enjoy building clubs and tinkering. I’ve always done mechanical things around the house and working on vehicles, wood work and leather work so figured golf equipment was a natural progression.

I work out of my garage, but I’ve got a decent workbench out there with everything you’d expect in a home workshop.

Eventually I’d like to get some more golf-specific items, like a true gripping station, mounted shaft puller, and loft/lie machine. But for now, my intro level stuff works.

I actually need to pull a set of shafts and replace for my brother. It’ll be my first shaft-through set, so it should be a lot of fun!

So here’s a couple questions to the group:

benefits of tipping shafts?

mid it worth it to pure/spine/flo align shafts, and is there differences in these terms?

mid it worth it to pure/spine/flo align shafts, and is there differences in these terms?

Benefits in the eyes of the beholder on is it worth it. I look at it as removing one more variable in the equation that I either don’t have to worry about or can eliminate when thinking of what happened. Think of the green diagram at ECPC for the ball tests, sorta the same concept.

Spine is finding the hard spine of the shaft. When rolling the shaft it’ll typically return to a single predominant spine along the shaft.

FLOing is Flat Line Oscillation is the process of flicking a shaft and finding the plane with the least amount of deviation from a single line so no wild wobbles or the such. Spining allows us to locate the FLO easier but shouldn’t be the last stepin the process FLOing should in this scenario.

Puring is FLOing in a much more precise and scientific manner and gives you all sorts of stats on the shaft from consistency in shape, CPM, EI cur

I’m fortunate to have a welding and small machine shop. Work bench there doubles as my club repair center.

Do grip replacement in vise. Need to build a better clamp system but for now it works.
built my own shaft puller which works well.
I currently use a saw that was designed to cut graphite arrows for archery. It works great. Need to purchase small belt sander. Most recent purchase was Swing weight scale.
DCAA3CFA-700F-4C78-8FED-43F829AF133E.jpeg

I’ve got all the basics for building and assembling clubs. Shaft puller ect. I can’t do any loft and lie type fitting but I can calculate swing weight. I regrip everyone’s clubs, change shafts, shorten them, lengthen them. Change adapters ect. I do the same for guitars and basses for all my friends. So I can solder pickups and electronics. I was always the kid in my neighborhood that worked on everyone’s bikes. Changing tires, brakes ect. I love the tinkering side of things. Always have!

I LOVE building clubs and tinkering. Between homes right now, but consideration for a new complete workspace was put into the floor plan we're building.

Back