LASIK....Who's had it? Who wants? Experiences?

Wildcat

#TeamBlake '23 and #TeamJB '24 Quest Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 3.6
I'm scheduled for my LASIK surgery (SMILE procedure) tomorrow. To be honest I'm a little worried.

So who's had it and who wants it? How did it affect your golf game?

I know lots of people that have had it with no issues...I need to go back to my optometrist...I went to another one that said I was "too old" to get it done :rolleyes:

I had mine done about 17 years ago and it has worked out well. My vision has started to deteriorate now, but I am 54. I had one eye fixed for distance and one for reading which I was happy with. If you’re a candidate and are considering I’d say go for it (weighing the risks of course).

goodluck tomorrow!

I had mine done I think 14 years ago. Best thing ever to get some freedom from glasses or contacts.
Only recently I have started to use glasses for distance vision - mainly for driving.
Could get it done again, but would likely lose ability to read without assistance of reading glasses.

My vision is terrible without my glasses or contacts so I would definitely consider it. But good luck tomorrow! Let us know how it goes!

I would love to have this done and ditch the glasses.

My brother did it years ago, like probably 15 if not more, still going strong. I really want to do it, but I have very severe astigmatism in my left eye and my Doctor said it would not be a good option.

I am really weird about my eyes (as I am sure most people are), but I know many other people who have done it and love the results.

Had mine over 20 years ago. Had dry eyes for a year or so. But vision still great both near and far and I had a bad stigmatism and was border line on depth of cornea.

I had it done when I was 25 and loved it. The pain was almost zero and recovery was like 12 hours. Go home, take a nap, and wake up pretty much 100%.

I had insurance on mine and my vision deteriorated just slightly at 34 years old to about 20/40. They redid my surgery with PRK and I’m still happy with that at 36. The pain/recovery was more pronounced and longer than Lasik, but still tolerable and worth it to me.

I think it’s well worth the money and freedom from glasses/contacts.

Thanks everyone. Feeling much better already. It is a newer type of LASIK procedure without making a flap. Supposedly even less down time and dry eye. We will see. (pun intended)

I had it done many years ago and it has been awesome. I could probably stand to go back and see about one of my eyes, but other than that, there have been no issues. You will be uncomfortable until Saturday morning. I feel it made me more sensitive to light and always wear sunglasses, but my wife thinks I was like that before the surgery.

Thanks everyone. Feeling much better already. It is a newer type of LASIK procedure without making a flap. Supposedly even less down time and dry eye. We will see. (pun intended)
Awesome. Good luck!!

Good luck. I did it many years ago and no issues since. My vision is still better than 20/20. Your quality of life will improve no doubt.

Had it done in 1997 to better than 20/20, he told me once you turn 40 you will need reading glasses. Almost to the day once I turned 41, I needed them. Best money I ever spent on myself! Never had any side effects.

I had mine done 5 or 6 years ago. Best decision I ever made.

I had mine done about 17 years ago and it has worked out well. My vision has started to deteriorate now, but I am 54. I had one eye fixed for distance and one for reading which I was happy with. If you’re a candidate and are considering I’d say go for it (weighing the risks of course).

goodluck tomorrow!
Almost exact same experience here. I had mine just over 20 years ago, and it was great, still is for the most part. I didn't have one eye fixed but did both for distance back then. They told me I would probably have reading glasses by the time I was 40-42. But I'm just starting to need them now at 55. Best thing I ever did.

I'm feeling like a sucker for waiting so long now.;););)

My brother did it years ago, like probably 15 if not more, still going strong. I really want to do it, but I have very severe astigmatism in my left eye and my Doctor said it would not be a good option.

I am really weird about my eyes (as I am sure most people are), but I know many other people who have done it and love the results.

Same here. I can get it done, but with my astigmatism, I would be back sooner than most getting it done again or being fit for glasses.

I got mine done when I was 18 in 2001. I have (had?) 20/10 vision, which is better than 20/20. I did have a permanent side effect though with lights at night time. I see the light as almost a fuzzy halo and I see a streak of light come out to my eye. It hasn’t affected me at all though and I see great. My understanding is that this no longer happens as the technology has advanced

I really want to get it done but with my wife working toward starting a business next year I can't justify the cost. Hopefully by the next time I need new glasses it will happen because I hate wearing them.

Everyone I know that has had it raves about it. I was all set to go, but bottled it. Too squeamish when it comes to eyes. As much as I hate wearing glasses, the thought of the lasik procedure horrifies me even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Best money I ever spent! My whole life, I had 20-20 in my left eye and 20-600 in my right eye. The few times I wore corrective lenses for my right eye gave me headaches and I could see just fine anyway without them.

About 1999, the vision in my left eye began to worsen gradually until I had trouble reading traffic signs or seeing where my golf ball would come to rest. In 2000, I was going to get LASIK on just the left eye to get it back to 20/20, but I was able to get 20/15 in the left and 20/30 in the right (it required 2 passes on the right as I had severe astigmatism in that eye). My vision is still excellent 20 years later and I can see a golf ball 300 yards away with no problem.

Now about the presbyopia... I feel like a cripple and carry fold-up readers in my pocket always.

Looks like I’m a go for LASIK! Had a consult today and will go with them unless the consult in 2 weeks convinces me otherwise. Unfortunately I need to wait until January so I can up my FSA contribution. Can’t wait to be free from glasses!

Looks like I’m a go for LASIK! Had a consult today and will go with them unless the consult in 2 weeks convinces me otherwise. Unfortunately I need to wait until January so I can up my FSA contribution. Can’t wait to be free from glasses!
You'll never feel more free. Loved it after I got mine. Real sunglasses again, play sports, actually see your kids at the pool, etc... Heaven

My vision is terrible without my glasses or contacts so I would definitely consider it. But good luck tomorrow! Let us know how it goes!

I would love to have this done and ditch the glasses.

I am right there with both of you. I would love this. I'm way too chicken.

Back