Review KBS TD Driver Shaft

had a driver fitting yesterday and the most consistent results were with this... admittedly this was never on my radar and its why I love a proper fitting at somewhere like Club Champion or True Spec

I was never fit for the Ventus Black but figured over the last few years ive been fit in to Atmos Tour Spec Black, Ozik Black Tie, and Lin-Q gunmetal. All the shafts are your typical low spin / low launch so I figured ventus black was the next step up given all the hype. Its been good but cant say its been better than anything ive played

Im a shaft tinkerer at heart and have tried the lin-q, ventus black and blue, Accra tour z RPG, ozik black tie, rogue silver, and tensei pro white this year. obviously never really settled in to a groove with any of them

I had a +3.5 angle of attack yesterday and the kbs shaft gave me consistent 11* launch, 2100 - 2400 spin, 15 feet lower peak height on avg, all while fading the ball. Ive settled in to hitting a natural fade instead of trying to hit the pretty draw since everyone wants a draw. ive accepted my more controllable and natural flight due to my path is a fade

when going to a fitting I think you need to know whats the exact reason you're going there for? ball speed? distance? lower flight?... I wanted a shaft that gave me more consistency in terms of missing on one side. for me the KBS was not the fastest ball speed wise, but I had exactly 0 balls land left of the target line and easily the smallest dispersion circle. Also the horizontal circle was easily the best distance dispersion as well

at club champion my fitter said the KBS shaft seems to fit people the best who have a good upward angle of attack. it kept my spin in check and was a very penetrating flight. The very first half practice swing I took I said "this feels incredible"..... ordered the shaft from CC and immediately went home and ordered the 3w shaft

Nice write up! I tried this shaft in a Mavrik head a few months ago and I really enjoyed the numbers I was seeing. It felt like I could really go for it on a driver and not lose it.

Nice write up! I tried this shaft in a Mavrik head a few months ago and I really enjoyed the numbers I was seeing. It felt like I could really go for it on a driver and not lose it.
thanks! ive never actually played a KBS Tour iron shaft but the description of "original KBS feel' felt damn good to me. They did an incredible job of making the shaft have "feel" to it without feeling loose or stout. I agree 100% that I was able to fully go after it without the fear of losing the shaft in my downswing

at 112mph the 60g category 4 held up to everything I could throw at it... some of the faster swingers would fit the category 5 (Tour X). Im very impressed with this shaft and cant wait to get it in play. Hopefully covid doesnt delay it too long and I can get some rounds in with it while weather is still nice

Been experimenting with this a bit lately and really like it. It doesn't hurt that it looks fantastic, but there is something about the feel that brings me back a bit, and I like it.

Any truth to these swing weighting heavier than a lot of other shafts?

Any truth to these swing weighting heavier than a lot of other shafts?
I haven’t had that issue myself.

@NVGOLFER80 still rocking the TD shaft in your driver? I am in my typical cycle of looking for something new for my driver now that I can't actually use it. I like the concept of it being a little more tip heavy. Still working? I know you had the HZRDUS Green. Curious how it compares to that.

@NVGOLFER80 still rocking the TD shaft in your driver? I am in my typical cycle of looking for something new for my driver now that I can't actually use it. I like the concept of it being a little more tip heavy. Still working? I know you had the HZRDUS Green. Curious how it compares to that.

I still have it. but it has been side lined for a bit. Been a haz green TX for a while.

I still have it. but it has been side lined for a bit. Been a haz green TX for a while.
What aspect sidelined it? I had pretty good success with the green myself. I gave it to a buddy of mine and regret letting it go. That green is pretty tight and dispersion was pretty good. I just kind of want something with a little more action in the middle of the shaft. The green TX had a lot of feel to it though.

What aspect sidelined it? I had pretty good success with the green myself. I gave it to a buddy of mine and regret letting it go. That green is pretty tight and dispersion was pretty good. I just kind of want something with a little more action in the middle of the shaft. The green TX had a lot of feel to it though.

Umm, I just found I missed it left a lot. I think the TD is really good but I think it is pretty unique and really you need to get it fit by someone that understands that particular shaft really well.

Umm, I just found I missed it left a lot. I think the TD is really good but I think it is pretty unique and really you need to get it fit by someone that understands that particular shaft really well.
Don't go throwing out common sense :ROFLMAO:. Fitting isn't option unfortunately. I'll have to keep my eye out to see if I can find a deal on one. Did you install yours straight in or did you tip it at all?

Don't go throwing out common sense :ROFLMAO:. Fitting isn't option unfortunately. I'll have to keep my eye out to see if I can find a deal on one. Did you install yours straight in or did you tip it at all?

straight. I honestly want to give it another go. I may cut this one and try it in a fairway wood. Then get another for the driver and have it tipped a bit. Maybe go lighter as well.

such a headcase... I just like to try stuff too much.. I am also considering a ventus red to try as a driver shaft.. hahah.

straight. I honestly want to give it another go. I may cut this one and try it in a fairway wood. Then get another for the driver and have it tipped a bit. Maybe go lighter as well.

such a headcase... I just like to try stuff too much.. I am also considering a ventus red to try as a driver shaft.. hahah.
Haha, the Adam Scott effect? I read something interesting about that. Taking two inches off the tip making it play more closely to the black but with a little more action in the mid. Would think that describes the blue, but who knows?

Haha, the Adam Scott effect? I read something interesting about that. Taking two inches off the tip making it play more closely to the black but with a little more action in the mid. Would think that describes the blue, but who knows?

Other than the red is much stiffer in the butt than the blue. The blue has a softer butt section in comparison. I would have to have a deep dive conversation with a shaft manufacturer that could clearly explain what affect added or reduced stiffness in different parts of the shaft really do. I have a little understanding but I think much of that could be wrong or be misinformation..

ive got the TD 60 cat 4(x) in driver and 70 cat 4 in 3w

my fitter said it seems to fit people the best who have a positive angle of attack. for me its giving me lower launch and spin than the ventus black ever did. it has the slightest kick to it to give it some feel, but I dont think its something that can be over powered

driver is giving me 11* launch and 2200 spin.... 3w gives me 10* launch and 3000 spin. for me personally, this shaft is not going anywhere for a long time. and im as big as a club/shaft ho as anyone

my fitter said it seems to fit people the best who have a positive angle of attack. for me its giving me lower launch and spin than the ventus black ever did. it has the slightest kick to it to give it some feel, but I dont think its something that can be over powered

driver is giving me 11* launch and 2200 spin.... 3w gives me 10* launch and 3000 spin. for me personally, this shaft is not going anywhere for a long time. and im as big as a club/shaft ho as anyone

awesome info.

I've only had a shot to try this shaft out in a demo but I agree with your fitter. I have a positive AoA and this shaft felt great and gave some really good numbers.

I've got my woods all set up in my bag and all I need now is the KBS Experience to happen. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the TD shaft performs in my gamers.

I've only had a shot to try this shaft out in a demo but I agree with your fitter. I have a positive AoA and this shaft felt great and gave some really good numbers.

I've got my woods all set up in my bag and all I need now is the KBS Experience to happen. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the TD shaft performs in my gamers.
The KBS Experience is gonna be awesome! I think this is a shaft that really flies under that radar bc its so unique..... but its so damn good and has really helped my long game more than anything else

ive played everything over the past few years from ventus black and blue, atmos tour spec black, tensei pro orange and white, Accra tour z RPG , tz5, Lin-Q Gunmetal

All have different tendencies and feels, but nothing has given me the same results swing after swing like the KBS TD has

The KBS Experience is gonna be awesome! I think this is a shaft that really flies under that radar bc its so unique..... but its so damn good and has really helped my long game more than anything else

ive played everything over the past few years from ventus black and blue, atmos tour spec black, tensei pro orange and white, Accra tour z RPG , tz5, Lin-Q Gunmetal

All have different tendencies and feels, but nothing has given me the same results swing after swing like the KBS TD has

I think it flies under the radar because a lot of shafts are going to counterbalanced design. This has a lower balance point if I remember correctly.

I think it flies under the radar because a lot of shafts are going to counterbalanced design. This has a lower balance point if I remember correctly.

I am not sure that is the reason it is under the radar but I do think that is what makes is a bit hit or miss. I think it is more under the radar just because it is less advertised.

But the low balance point does make it very different. I was very surprised at how much the swing weight changed with installing this shaft. It was like 2 points...

I am not sure that is the reason it is under the radar but I do think that is what makes is a bit hit or miss. I think it is more under the radar just because it is less advertised.

But the low balance point does make it very different. I was very surprised at how much the swing weight changed with installing this shaft. It was like 2 points...

Very good point. I'm going to be very interested in what they do to my Cobra F9 head to get it to a good swing weight.

KBS TD 70 cat 5 won out in my fitting today. On order and looking forward to spending more time with it. Tried several and this was the clear winner.

This is an outstanding shaft and agree it’s over looked.
Had one in my SIM2 and just ordered one for my 425LST.
Flight is a perfect mid. Spin is low and feels amazing. Dont remove this shaft from your list

This is an outstanding shaft and agree it’s over looked.
Had one in my SIM2 and just ordered one for my 425LST.
Flight is a perfect mid. Spin is low and feels amazing. Dont remove this shaft from your list

Will be interested to hear how it works for you. Check the swing weight. The ping heads are super heavy. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a swing weight with this shaft in the D6 range.

It’s being built by Ping so they’ve never let me down before. I’m sure it will be fine.

as much as i love the kbs prototype hybrid shaft, this driver shaft has had my interest. i feel like you don’t really hear much about it.

Back