Review JumboMax UltraLite Golf Grips

BigMac

#LLTG!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been experimenting with the JumboMax UltraLite grips lately, thought I'd throw some thoughts out on them and maybe spur some discussion.

I have big paws. I wear an XL golf glove, and my hand measures 8 1/2" from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger. With my hand fully splayed out, it measures 9 3/4" from the tip of my pinky to the tip of my thumb. I've been using Winn Dri-Tac Oversize grips (+1/8") for a number of years, adding two wraps of tape to build them up even further, and they still feel small in my hands. I also have overactive hands when I swing, which causes a lot of pulls and pull hooks when I don't control it, and blocks when I overcompensate and hold my hands off. My other issue with the Dri-Tacs is how fast they wear out. I've been meaning to try the JumboMax grips for a while now, and I finally pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago.

(As an aside - I recently tried SuperStroke's Traxion Tour oversized grips, and I've never in my life hated a grip so much. Garbage. I love their putter grips, but the swing grip looked cheap, felt plasticky and slippery, and had a seam on the back which I assume was intended to serve as an alignment aid, which felt terrible. My fingers slid around on the grip and every time I swung it it felt like the club was going to fly out of my hands. I couldn't cut that grip off my club fast enough, and I'm glad I only bought one instead of an entire set!)

My first experiment was with the JumboMax UltraLite Str8 Tech, in size Medium (+5/16"), on my driver. The Str8 Tech is a non-tapered grip that measures 1.10" in diameter. The UltraLite version weighs 47g - the Winn Dri-Tac Oversize grips weigh 50g, so there's a slight (1/2 point?) positive change in swing weight (which I don't notice). There are three different texture patterns strategically positioned in different parts of the grip (cross, hex and herringbone), and the grips feel tacky and soft without feeling the least bit spongy (even the Winn Dri-Tacs feel spongier by comparison). They have a firmer "anti-twist" core beneath the softer outer grip layer. The texture is very comfortable and it's a grip that I could easily play without wearing a glove. The nice thing about the Str8 Tech is that the grip feels the same when you grip down as it does when you grip it at full length due to the lack of taper. When swinging the club, the first thing I noticed was that it felt more secure in my hands. The size feels reassuring and allows me to grip more lightly, and while my hands still sometimes get overactive, it has quieted them down noticeably. I'm hitting less pulls/pull hooks, and my shot shape is tending toward straight or a slight draw. I've even been playing around lately and started figuring out how to hit a fade when I need it, which is a revelation for me since I couldn't intentionally hit a fade to save my life before. I've also seen an increase in distance - I don't credit that to some voodoo magic in the grip, per se, but it's more because the comfort and security in my grip (along with the improved shot shape) lets me feel confident to swing harder. I don't fear the big left miss as much, and that big grip just feels good in my hands. Funny thing is, when you grab another club after holding on to these grips, the other club with a regular sized grip feels like you're holding a toothpick! :LOL:

Second experiment was the UltraLite Str8 Tech in size X-Small (+3/16") on my 7 iron. Yes, their "X-Small" is 1/16" larger in diameter than the Winn Dri-Tac Oversize. It measures 1.00" in diameter and weighs 42g, so the net effect should be a swing weight around 1.5 points heavier than with my previous 50g Dri-Tacs. Again, it's not noticeable to me, but I'm not overly picky about swing weight and not very sensitive to small changes in it. Same grip as above, just in a smaller size, so still very comfortable and grippy, but it didn't feel as secure in my hands due to the smaller diameter. If you like / already play oversize/jumbo grips and are comfortable with that size, the X-Small would be a good starting place if you wanted to try the JumboMax grips. If you're looking for a noticeably larger feel in your hands, one of the larger sizes will probably be more suitable for you.

I'm now onto Stage 3 of the experiment - I'm currently in the process of regripping my entire set with the JumboMax JMX UltraLite in size Large (+11/32"). One of my regular golf buddies tried one of these after swinging my Str8 Techs, but he wanted a standard taper on his grips. I hit his and liked the feeling of the even larger diameter under my top (left) hand, so I'm going to give them a try. These aren't the non-taper Str8 Tech models, they taper from 1.40" in diameter at the butt end to 1.08" diameter at the lower end of the grip. Weight is 50g, identical to my previous Dri-Tacs, so no change at all in swing weight. Same grip composition and patterns as the Str8 Techs, so comfort should be the same. I got about halfway through regripping my clubs tonight before I ran out of solvent, so I'll finish them up tomorrow and they'll be going into play on Wednesday.

(Note: If you're an Arccos/CobraConnect user, JumboMax's Tour and Wrap series grips are made to accept the sensors. The UltraLite models do not accept them.)

Regrip done:

Regrip.JPG

And here's a side-by-side comparison of the JumboMax JMX UltraLite Large vs. Winn Dri-Tac Oversize grips:

JM_Winn.JPG

Nice review. I just put a STR8 Ultralite Medium on a couple clubs to try so I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with them

Nice review. I just put a STR8 Ultralite Medium on a couple clubs to try so I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with them
Thanks! I had the UltraLite Str8 Medium on my driver before changing out to the Large JMX non-tapers. I liked it enough that I would have gladly left it on there, but I wanted my grips to all feel the same throughout the bag so I swapped it out. I actually hated to cut off an almost brand new grip like that!

I spent a couple hours at the range this morning trying out the new grips. If today was any indication, I'm going to be very, very happy with these. It's the best a club has ever felt in my hands, and the best clubface control I've ever had. Huge improvement in both accuracy and dispersion, and way less pulls/big hooks. I was choosing different targets all over the range and hitting my irons at them, and the ball was going where I intended it to go almost every time - which is a kind of novel experience for me! :LOL:

As I mentioned above, the bigger grips feel really secure in my hands and I feel confident about going harder at the ball. It's hard to tell for sure with old, worn out range balls, but it sure seems like I picked up some distance throughout the bag just from the increased confidence in my swing and resultantly swinging harder. I'll have to check it out on the course with good balls to be sure.

Hitting driver was fun - there was an old guy on the range next to me, and he said "Wow!" after one of my driver shots, then stood there and watched as I hit a few more. I'm not used to anybody saying "wow!" about my drives, so I got a chuckle out of it. I was pounding the driver (at least relative to my usual) - I could both feel it and hear it in the impacts, and I could feel it in the way the shaft was reacting to my swings. I'm certainly no Bryson, and hitting big bombs off the tee isn't my forté, but putting crappy range balls out around/past the 250 marker feels pretty good to a short knocker. I still hit a few bad ones, but that's me - no grip or club is a magic wand that erases bad swings.

Comfort is amazing - I went through a large bucket of range balls plus practice swings in between shots and my hands felt great. Less fatigue because I'm not gripping as hard, and no blisters or hot spots. As I said before, they're soft and comfortable without feeling spongy or mushy. JumboMax did a great job of hitting a happy medium in that department.

On to the short game area - my wedges were the one spot in my bag that I had doubts about using such big grips. I actually hesitated to put them on my wedges, but finally decided to go all in and give it a try. This is the one place where I can say they weren't any better than my previous grips - but they weren't any worse either. I think they'd be a benefit to somebody who's wristy in their short game and wants to quiet it down, but my short game isn't wristy. I chip and pitch with pretty dead hands unless I'm trying to hit a flop-ish type shot. We didn't spend a lot of time on short game because the practice area started getting crowded, but what little we got left me feeling neutral about them. I still like the feel in my hands, but it's the one part of the game where I didn't really see any actual benefits/improvements other than the comfort. Nothing about them made me want to come home and cut them off my wedges, but there wasn't the 'wow' factor like there was in full swings that would make me want to keep them on my clubs forever either.

They're 100% staying on all my full swing clubs, there's zero doubt about that. The improvements in feel and performance are undeniable and I love them. I'm going to give them some time and a bunch of rounds on the course before I decide if they stay on the wedges.

Last edited:
@Snowman great review. Look forward to your continued success
I'm having a little pain in my left wrist that I broke. And I am wondering if a larger grip might help. I also suffer from an occasional ball to the left. So that intrigues me also.

Found this video on the Gears effect. Which he talks about having the face of the club square for a longer period of time. And also stated his swing speed increased. Which was interesting.

Last edited:
@Snowman great review. Look forward to your continued success
Im having a little pain in my left wrist that I broke. And I am wondering if a larger grip might help. I also suffer from an occasional ball to the left. So that intrigues me also.
Thanks, glad the review helped somebody! It's worth a try - order one and put it on the club of your choice. Worst case scenario is that you spent 15 bucks to find out that it didn't work for you, I've wasted a lot more money than that on golf things that didn't pan out! :LOL:

My hand measures 8 " from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger. With my hand fully splayed out, it measures 10 1/4" from the tip of my pinky to the tip of my thumb.
So I ordered 3 grips in the large size. I will put them on a driver shaft, 7 iron and a wedge and see which works the best for my swing.
If not all three. The 50g weight is close to the Lamkin Sonars that I been using at 53g.

I had a very similar finding with the JMX Ultralite but have only tested it with driver, I LOVE it on my driver. The consistency feels incredible, however, I have a bit of apprehension putting them on my irons. I am going to blow them on if I try them just in case I worry I will get too much of a fade. I really don't want to re-engineer my swing as a result of a grip change. I'll see though, I am coming from MCC +4 Midsize so already not very small grips and the miss with the irons is an over-cooked draw.

I had a very similar finding with the JMX Ultralite but have only tested it with driver, I LOVE it on my driver. The consistency feels incredible, however, I have a bit of apprehension putting them on my irons. I am going to blow them on if I try them just in case I worry I will get too much of a fade. I really don't want to re-engineer my swing as a result of a grip change. I'll see though, I am coming from MCC +4 Midsize so already not very small grips and the miss with the irons is an over-cooked draw.
FWIW, I wasn't sure about putting the Large ones on my irons either - but after hitting them yesterday, I really like them. I'd rather have the same grip throughout the bag (except putter, of course) rather than giving myself one more thing to think about with adjusting between grips on different clubs.

Before I put the JumboMax on, I had two clubs in my bag with odd grips (Super Hybrid and 52° wedge) - one was a Golf Pride oversized wrap and one was a Dri-Tac oversized wrap, while the rest were the regular Dri-Tac oversized. Those grips were on the clubs when I bought them and I had just never changed them out, and they bugged me every time I pulled one of those two clubs.

FWIW, I wasn't sure about putting the Large ones on my irons either - but after hitting them yesterday, I really like them. I'd rather have the same grip throughout the bag (except putter, of course) rather than giving myself one more thing to think about with adjusting between grips on different clubs.

Before I put the JumboMax on, I had two clubs in my bag with odd grips (Super Hybrid and 52° wedge) - one was a Golf Pride oversized wrap and one was a Dri-Tac oversized wrap, while the rest were the regular Dri-Tac oversized. Those grips were on the clubs when I bought them and I had just never changed them out, and they bugged me every time I pulled one of those two clubs.

Are you finding flight going higher? TXG found the Jumbo grips increased launch angle and dynamic loft, I really can't afford to launch anything higher, lol.

Are you finding flight going higher? TXG found the Jumbo grips increased launch angle and dynamic loft, I really can't afford to launch anything higher, lol.
Limited data with only one range session, but so far yes - definitely seeing higher launch angle/ball flight. I need it, though, so I don't mind it.

I put one of the Jumbomax ultralite Medium grips on my driver about December or so. I have lost a little bit of distance (though that may very well be me) but haven't really hit the huge snap hook that I fear so much with it. I've hit some pull draws and if I could figure out how to aim and repeat that shot I would hit it every time because it really goes far when I do it!

I decided to try it to try to stop that big snap hook and so far it is doing exactly what I hoped it would do and I'm not finding trouble nearly as much as I was previously.

Limited data with only one range session, but so far yes - definitely seeing higher launch angle/ball flight. I need it, though, so I don't mind it.

Yeah, as I thought, that's what pretty much everyone finds. Unfortunately, as my swing stands right now I can't afford to launch higher.

I had a hit of the JMX Ultralite Medium the other day, eye opening.

Not my irons or shafts but for the first time in god knows how many years I could actually hit a high draw or high fade on demand with minimal adjustment.

Really got me thinking, especially as I've moved to the Dri-Tac 2.0 Midsize

I had a hit of the JMX Ultralite Medium the other day, eye opening.

Not my irons or shafts but for the first time in god knows how many years I could actually hit a high draw or high fade on demand with minimal adjustment.

Really got me thinking, especially as I've moved to the Dri-Tac 2.0 Midsize
I have about 45 rounds on mine now and I'm still really liking them, never had more comfortable grips on my clubs. The only downside is that holding a club with a regular midsize/oversize grip now feels like I have a #2 pencil in my hands! :LOL:

I have about 45 rounds on mine now and I'm still really liking them, never had more comfortable grips on my clubs. The only downside is that holding a club with a regular midsize/oversize grip now feels like I have a #2 pencil in my hands! :LOL:
I know what you mean, my friend was trying some different drivers with me and you could see him almost trying to find the grip in his hands! :ROFLMAO:

Considering putting this on my TPT 16 Lo driver shaft in my TEE C721 for the season.

Did not hit driver well last time out, maybe this is the change needed.

I've been experimenting with the JumboMax UltraLite grips lately, thought I'd throw some thoughts out on them and maybe spur some discussion.

I have big paws. I wear an XL golf glove, and my hand measures 8 1/2" from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger. With my hand fully splayed out, it measures 9 3/4" from the tip of my pinky to the tip of my thumb. I've been using Winn Dri-Tac Oversize grips (+1/8") for a number of years, adding two wraps of tape to build them up even further, and they still feel small in my hands. I also have overactive hands when I swing, which causes a lot of pulls and pull hooks when I don't control it, and blocks when I overcompensate and hold my hands off. My other issue with the Dri-Tacs is how fast they wear out. I've been meaning to try the JumboMax grips for a while now, and I finally pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago.

(As an aside - I recently tried SuperStroke's Traxion Tour oversized grips, and I've never in my life hated a grip so much. Garbage. I love their putter grips, but the swing grip looked cheap, felt plasticky and slippery, and had a seam on the back which I assume was intended to serve as an alignment aid, which felt terrible. My fingers slid around on the grip and every time I swung it it felt like the club was going to fly out of my hands. I couldn't cut that grip off my club fast enough, and I'm glad I only bought one instead of an entire set!)

My first experiment was with the JumboMax UltraLite Str8 Tech, in size Medium (+5/16"), on my driver. The Str8 Tech is a non-tapered grip that measures 1.10" in diameter. The UltraLite version weighs 47g - the Winn Dri-Tac Oversize grips weigh 50g, so there's a slight (1/2 point?) positive change in swing weight (which I don't notice). There are three different texture patterns strategically positioned in different parts of the grip (cross, hex and herringbone), and the grips feel tacky and soft without feeling the least bit spongy (even the Winn Dri-Tacs feel spongier by comparison). They have a firmer "anti-twist" core beneath the softer outer grip layer. The texture is very comfortable and it's a grip that I could easily play without wearing a glove. The nice thing about the Str8 Tech is that the grip feels the same when you grip down as it does when you grip it at full length due to the lack of taper. When swinging the club, the first thing I noticed was that it felt more secure in my hands. The size feels reassuring and allows me to grip more lightly, and while my hands still sometimes get overactive, it has quieted them down noticeably. I'm hitting less pulls/pull hooks, and my shot shape is tending toward straight or a slight draw. I've even been playing around lately and started figuring out how to hit a fade when I need it, which is a revelation for me since I couldn't intentionally hit a fade to save my life before. I've also seen an increase in distance - I don't credit that to some voodoo magic in the grip, per se, but it's more because the comfort and security in my grip (along with the improved shot shape) lets me feel confident to swing harder. I don't fear the big left miss as much, and that big grip just feels good in my hands. Funny thing is, when you grab another club after holding on to these grips, the other club with a regular sized grip feels like you're holding a toothpick! :LOL:

Second experiment was the UltraLite Str8 Tech in size X-Small (+3/16") on my 7 iron. Yes, their "X-Small" is 1/16" larger in diameter than the Winn Dri-Tac Oversize. It measures 1.00" in diameter and weighs 42g, so the net effect should be a swing weight around 1.5 points heavier than with my previous 50g Dri-Tacs. Again, it's not noticeable to me, but I'm not overly picky about swing weight and not very sensitive to small changes in it. Same grip as above, just in a smaller size, so still very comfortable and grippy, but it didn't feel as secure in my hands due to the smaller diameter. If you like / already play oversize/jumbo grips and are comfortable with that size, the X-Small would be a good starting place if you wanted to try the JumboMax grips. If you're looking for a noticeably larger feel in your hands, one of the larger sizes will probably be more suitable for you.

I'm now onto Stage 3 of the experiment - I'm currently in the process of regripping my entire set with the JumboMax JMX UltraLite in size Large (+11/32"). One of my regular golf buddies tried one of these after swinging my Str8 Techs, but he wanted a standard taper on his grips. I hit his and liked the feeling of the even larger diameter under my top (left) hand, so I'm going to give them a try. These aren't the non-taper Str8 Tech models, they taper from 1.40" in diameter at the butt end to 1.08" diameter at the lower end of the grip. Weight is 50g, identical to my previous Dri-Tacs, so no change at all in swing weight. Same grip composition and patterns as the Str8 Techs, so comfort should be the same. I got about halfway through regripping my clubs tonight before I ran out of solvent, so I'll finish them up tomorrow and they'll be going into play on Wednesday.

(Note: If you're an Arccos/CobraConnect user, JumboMax's Tour and Wrap series grips are made to accept the sensors. The UltraLite models do not accept them.)
thanks for this brilliant experiment, I'm going getting my Ping g425s iron regrouped, and my mizuno STX220 driver, I've exactly same hand measurements as you, was out with tape measure & swear my wife thought I'd lost the plot :) , I find the midsize I have on way too small, so going to try these grips, unfortunately no dealer in Ireland but can get them from UK, just need bit of advice, I've a slight slice with my driver, maybe grip being too small , not sure, how do you find the large size now? I'm thinking of putting them on driver & irons but maybe leave wedges for another while as they cost nearly 16euro a grip , also I only have a swing speed of around 85 with my driver at moment, bad arthritis in both shoulders and a dodgy right knee, all my shafts are 65 g graphite Reg, appreciate any advice , and thanks again for such a brilliant in-depth review , by the way , do you have trouble getting them into your golf bag?? just wondering ,considering size of the grips, many thanks and greetings from South West Ireland

I started with the Ultralite STR8 Techs in Medium and they were just a bit too big for me..... I dropped a note on the JumboMax page and they called me the same day, completely unexpected! We talked about my hand size and my arthritis in my left thumb and my crazy overall crappy double jointed hands and decided that the X-Small would be a better option for me. He gave me a discount code and I haven't looked back since, I love them!

I started with the Ultralite STR8 Techs in Medium and they were just a bit too big for me..... I dropped a note on the JumboMax page and they called me the same day, completely unexpected! We talked about my hand size and my arthritis in my left thumb and my crazy overall crappy double jointed hands and decided that the X-Small would be a better option for me. He gave me a discount code and I haven't looked back since, I love them!
Hi, hope you well, thanks for that, double jointed myself :D , was checking a few online videos and a lot seemed to go for the medium/XS, how are finding them? have you them on all irons etc? appreciate any help, unfortunately id have to get them through Adore Grips as don't think Jumbomax ship to Ireland , Jon

Hi, hope you well, thanks for that, double jointed myself :D , was checking a few online videos and a lot seemed to go for the medium/XS, how are finding them? have you them on all irons etc? appreciate any help, unfortunately id have to get them through Adore Grips as don't think Jumbomax ship to Ireland , Jon

LOL, I haven't met anyone one else with double jointed hands, welcome to the party! :LOL:

As for the grips.... I LOVE them! When I started with the medium size, I found that my left thumb would pop out of place on the down swing quite frequently as it was just a bit too big for me (I wear an XL glove) and would cause serious shanks. With the XS I have had zero issues. I have put them on every club I have (woods, irons, wedges) aside from the putter. Being in the states I just went straight through to JumboMax.

thanks for this brilliant experiment, I'm going getting my Ping g425s iron regrouped, and my mizuno STX220 driver, I've exactly same hand measurements as you, was out with tape measure & swear my wife thought I'd lost the plot :) , I find the midsize I have on way too small, so going to try these grips, unfortunately no dealer in Ireland but can get them from UK, just need bit of advice, I've a slight slice with my driver, maybe grip being too small , not sure, how do you find the large size now? I'm thinking of putting them on driver & irons but maybe leave wedges for another while as they cost nearly 16euro a grip , also I only have a swing speed of around 85 with my driver at moment, bad arthritis in both shoulders and a dodgy right knee, all my shafts are 65 g graphite Reg, appreciate any advice , and thanks again for such a brilliant in-depth review , by the way , do you have trouble getting them into your golf bag?? just wondering ,considering size of the grips, many thanks and greetings from South West Ireland
They're an investment for sure, they're not cheap! I'm still using the large size (on every club, driver through wedges), still love them and they're holding up very well - they still look and feel almost brand new, and I have well over 100 rounds on them. They're so comfortable that I could easily play without a glove if I wanted to, and they make me feel a lot more confident in my grip on the club. I'm not/wasn't a slicer, my miss was a hook or pull hook, and they've helped with that - for a slicer they might prevent your hands from turning over and make it worse, but there's only one way to find out! Might want to try one or two of them before you go all-in and see how they work for you. Maybe put them on your driver and one iron that you strike well, see if/how they affect your ball flight.

My bag is a Sun Mountain C-130, it's a 14-way divider but is pretty spacious. They occasionally get a little tight in the bag, but nothing I can't deal with. They're really not much worse than my previous grips (Winn Dri-Tac Oversize) in that regard.

They're an investment for sure, they're not cheap! I'm still using the large size (on every club, driver through wedges), still love them and they're holding up very well - they still look and feel almost brand new, and I have well over 100 rounds on them. They're so comfortable that I could easily play without a glove if I wanted to, and they make me feel a lot more confident in my grip on the club. I'm not/wasn't a slicer, my miss was a hook or pull hook, and they've helped with that - for a slicer they might prevent your hands from turning over and make it worse, but there's only one way to find out! Might want to try one or two of them before you go all-in and see how they work for you. Maybe put them on your driver and one iron that you strike well, see if/how they affect your ball flight.

My bag is a Sun Mountain C-130, it's a 14-way divider but is pretty spacious. They occasionally get a little tight in the bag, but nothing I can't deal with. They're really not much worse than my previous grips (Winn Dri-Tac Oversize) in that regard.
Hi, thanks for that, yep, might order just a few as you suggested,
LOL, I haven't met anyone one else with double jointed hands, welcome to the party! :LOL:

As for the grips.... I LOVE them! When I started with the medium size, I found that my left thumb would pop out of place on the down swing quite frequently as it was just a bit too big for me (I wear an XL glove) and would cause serious shanks. With the XS I have had zero issues. I have put them on every club I have (woods, irons, wedges) aside from the putter. Being in the states I just went straight through to JumboMax.

yep, I'm in that double jointed gang, whether I like it or not! party trick used to be bending my hand all way back to wrist :D as you do, hoe would you compare the XS to normal midsize grips? have the Tour velvet midsize on my Pings but way too small , my fingers are really pressing into my thumb pad, thanks

Back