Jman, Hawk, and Ddec

When I came on as a writer I was told by a wise old Hawk one piece of advice I’ve always kept. Have a bag that is YOUR bag, and then have a testing bag.

Sometimes they intertwine or overlap a little, but I always have a “gamer” setup that I take out from time to time.

That said, I’ve done this so long now I really do feel like I can plug anything in and go play a good round of golf. I don’t overthink a lot of the things that others do when it comes to things which may not be the best fit for me, because I know I can adapt on the fly.

@Jman @Hawk @ddec You gentleman test a lot of equipment and I was wondering if your bag is fluid, or do you have a set you use exclusively when you are playing?
I try to create a bag that I consider my “gamer bag” which I feel like needs a better name. I’ll work on that. But that bag doesn’t always get used. If something is in for review, they tend to go in the bag and out to the course regardless if I’m playing in my league nights, scramble tournament, or just out for some fun.

Guys in my league would often bust on me by checking the bag weekly to see what was new in there. They were shocked as hell the two weeks i showed up with a box set of clubs to play. I’ve gotten pretty decent at just inserting clubs in and out throughout the review process. There have even been times when I’ve played one iron set on the front and another on the back.

I try to create a bag that I consider my “gamer bag” which I feel like needs a better name. I’ll work on that. But that bag doesn’t always get used. If something is in for review, they tend to go in the bag and out to the course regardless if I’m playing in my league nights, scramble tournament, or just out for some fun.

Guys in my league would often bust on me by checking the bag weekly to see what was new in there. They were shocked as hell the two weeks i showed up with a box set of clubs to play. I’ve gotten pretty decent at just inserting clubs in and out throughout the review process. There have even been times when I’ve played one iron set on the front and another on the back.
That sounds heavy. Nothin like dropping another 7-8lbs into a bag especially if you’re walking.

That sounds heavy. Nothin like dropping another 7-8lbs into a bag especially if you’re walking.
14 club rule be damned

What about people who buy 100 clubs a year , Sean....what about them, do you EVEN care about their opinion (sheds tear) ?

asking for a friend

What about people who buy 100 clubs a year , Sean....what about them, do you EVEN care about their opinion (sheds tear) ?

asking for a friend
Not only do I know your friend, I was his twin at one time, lol.

@Jman @Hawk @ddec during all the time you've been reviewing was there any club(s) that really jumped out at you? Like a WOW moment?

@Jman @Hawk @ddec during all the time you've been reviewing was there any club(s) that really jumped out at you? Like a WOW moment?
Too many to count over a decade plus.

Hell, most of those are clubs that didn’t even fit me or my needs, but I knew would be MASSIVE for most golfers, B21 driver fits that to a T.

No such thing.

Still think my record in bag at once is 31
This should be the number one reason why to just say no to a 14-Top bag.

Man that’s a tough one. Two meetings at Cleveland ring a bell. One was when we were introduced to the 2135 putts the effect on alignment. That was kind of wow.

Product wise…JB and I got a look at the first CBX wedge 5-6 months before it was released and I walked out thinking that would be a great release for so many golfers. That lineup continues and they’ve pushed a lot of their main wedge tech into it now. So it’s cool to see how that’s come along from pre-release to where it is now.

As I carry often, many times my bag is 12 or 13 clubs.

Man that’s a tough one. Two meetings at Cleveland ring a bell. One was when we were introduced to the 2135 putts the effect on alignment. That was kind of wow.

Product wise…JB and I got a look at the first CBX wedge 5-6 months before it was released and I walked out thinking that would be a great release for so many golfers. That lineup continues and they’ve pushed a lot of their main wedge tech into it now. So it’s cool to see how that’s come along from pre-release to where it is now.
2135 was definitely a WOW moment.

@Jman @Hawk @ddec You gentleman test a lot of equipment and I was wondering if your bag is fluid, or do you have a set you use exclusively when you are playing?
Sorry for the delay Sean. I was out of town for a concert this weekend.

Much like @Jman mentioned, I've always felt like it was important to have a bag that was independent of the review process, even if it's just symbolic, meaning I may only rarely play my full "official" bag. The nature of what we do demands flexibility and sometimes accepting rounds may be a grind when I'm using something that doesn't fit me. For the most part it's not a big deal, but there are definitely many times where I roll my eyes every time I pull a certain club from the bag.

Back