Is White Hot faster off the face than a milled face?

Is the White Hot insert faster off the face than a milled face putter?

• Total voters
Comparing my DW to my Mizuno MCraft IV, the milled putter seems faster.

I’m not sure how any insert putter could transfer more energy into the ball than a milled face?

Putting is subjective obviously but in my experience, I’ve always felt the ball flies off the white hot insert face. My preferred feel off the face is a soft thud, if that makes sense. But the white hot insert has always felt like a trampoline to me.

I was very intrigued by the 5k line and almost bought one earlier this year to give the insert another try as I loved the weighting of the head but ultimately opted against it.

I'm not smart enough to know, nor do I have enough experience to have a very educated guess. I would think it wouldn't be as fast, but it does feel to me like it gets the ball rolling pretty quickly.

In my limited experience with WH I would say, yes, the ball comes off the face faster. But it was a different putter style than what I typically like, so there could have been other things at play.

I think it is really nice. I had been on a hot streak with the Toulon Chicago, but I had purchased the double wide from a forum member a couple months ago. I was rolling it on my practice mat before my injury Saturday and liked it a lot. I have heavier weights in the Chicago and would prefer the heavier head weight in the double wide. I am not sure if heavier weights are available. If they are, I would try it out on the course because I love the White Hot inserts.
If you decide to move the double wide…

I would certainly be in the camp that milled putters are faster off the face that insert putters.

Whatever this guy says…

DAE30D9A-6EDE-465D-83B1-44B9560E89EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Milled faces come in a variety of styles. Some have very light milling and I find these to be very hot and loud. Deeper milling patterns not as fast or loud.

To me most inserts feel softer and quieter than milled putter faces.
I prefer a softer face insert with a quieter sound. The white hot insert fits in this category.

When testing putters I prefer to use my gamer ball and not some random ball from the putter corral.

What ball you play can make a difference as a firmer ball with a harder cover will be louder and go further.

When evaluating golf balls I always start on the green. How it feels, sounds and performs is the first hurdle it must overcome

I don’t have any experience with a 5K but do have both a Toulon Chicago and a Las Vegas and have a Ten with an insert and as well previously had an Odyssey 7 with an insert. I would say for me the insert has a slightly more “pop” off the face but not significant. It really comes down to the feel or sound you like.

Dr. Dale Fisher was the inventor of insert putters. He licensed the technology to Callaway and Odyssey who marketed the white hot two ball and many variations since. IS IT hotter than a milled face? The polymer face is selected based on among other factors, the rebound factor desired. It's like spring effect for putters in terms of what coefficient of restitution was desired. His patents list coefficients ranging between 0.354 to 0.707. As firmness increases, so does the velocity of the rebound or speed of the ball.
Here's one of the patents:
I believe that the milled face is hotter because it is likely to be firmer than any polymer insert.

Based on my first 18 holes with the WH insert in the 2-Ball Eleven, I would say it is hotter. I left exactly one putt short yesterday while my norm with a milled putter over the last 25 years is leaving at least 1/4 putts over 5 feet short.

It's funny this post came up because I've been wondering this too. I just bought a new OG 2 Ball after using a milled Ping PLD and my Toulon Indianapolis. With the Ping and Toulon I kept leaving the ball short of the hole but with the White Hot face of the 2 Ball I feel like I'm consistently blowing it by the hole. The difference is really wild.

Yes for me. I’ve always played milled until I got the tri hot. Never sent so many putts long of the hole

Back