Is a 5 Wood Needed in the Bag??

Snyperx

Reaction score
Handicap
35.3L
So I am looking at reconfiguring my bag a bit. I currently have a 3 and 5 wood in my bag. I was thinking about removing the 5 wood and adding my lob wedge. The thinking is that I can use the 3 wood for shorter holes instead of my driver and without going to my #3 hybrid iron. Having the extra wedge will be more beneficial around the green since I have a tendency to do a lot of pitch/wedge shots. Thoughts on this?? Thanks!!

Last edited:
If you hit your 3 hybrid well I think you could drop the 5 - wood and bag an extra wedge.

I agree - It's all about how you hit that hybrid.

I personally like having a 5 wood - but to each his own.

Yep, it definitely depends on what gaps you have and what you choose to fill that gap with.

I dropped the 5 wood years ago and replaced it with a hybrid.

I say no. A lot depends on you and the courses you like to play. If you need the extra distance go for it, but I don't like 5 woods. I dropped mine a while back for a hybrid. Much more accurate and not too bad decrease in accuracy.

I carry a 2h & 3h, no 5 wood

To clarify this is what I carry in my bag currently:

Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 3h, 4h, 5h, 6-PW, GW, SW, Putter

What am thinking about going to:

Driver, 3 wood, 3h, 4h, 5h, 6-PW, GW, SW, LW, Putter

I carry two hybrids, an 18* and a 20* to take the place of my 2&3 irons. The 18* has now become my 5w. I don't think I'll ever look back. The length and playability are so much better with hybrid IMO

That's exactly what I do. I like my wedges.

To clarify this is what I carry in my bag currently:

Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 3h, 4h, 5h, 6-PW, GW, SW, Putter

What am thinking about going to:

Driver, 3 wood, 3h, 4h, 5h, 6-PW, GW, SW, LW, Putter

What about dropping the 5W and 3h and replacing them with a 2h and lob wedge? That's what I would do myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the others in that the hybrid has replaced your 5w already. Time to put that LW in play

never have, and never plan on owning a hybrid!

I just added a 5w to my bag, but I don't have a hybrid around the 18 degree range. That's a doubler right there, so if you hit the hybrid better, keep that in and ditch the 5w.

You will run into many more situations where you might use a LW than a 5W. You will rarely have a 5W shot where you will say "I can get this close to the hole". You can say that almost every time with a LW. Go with the club that will help you score better.

Thanks folks!! I pulled the 5 out last night and put in my LW. I also ordered a Taylormade Burner Superfast 3 wood to replace my Adams GT Tight Lies 3 wood. I love my Taylormade Burner Superfast driver so adding the accompanying 3 wood will be nice. I should be all set.

Lots of said this already but since you already carry a 3 hybrid, the 5 wood is not really needed.

I guess I'll buck the trend, although you've already made your decision. I play a 20.5° hybrid and a 19° fairway wood. I don't have any real gapping issues with the two as the fairway has a longer shaft/more mass. I don't carry a 3 wood because they are hard for me to hit. I dump the LW all the time as I find it to be a club that can be difficult to use properly and many times it hurts my score more than it helps it.

I still carry an 18 degree V-Steel 5 wood and a 19 degree hybrid. My thinking is if there is a shot that I need the extra carry, I am more comfortable with the 5 wood than the hybrid. When I am in the rough, will use the 19 degree hybrid for that reason.

However, if I can ever get a lefty R9 5 wood...it will replace both clubs. Just missed one on ebay..darnit.. :(

On the lob wedge issue, I was once told amateurs dont need more than a 56 degree wedge in the bag because you can use it to hit flop shots like with the 60. It's worked well for me...FWIW.

I used a 5 wood, cant imagine hitting a hybrid any better. 5 wood goes right where I want it to every time with great distance.

I have a 5-wood in my bag. Thought about replacing it with a hybrid but that 5-wood is one of my most consistent clubs. Just can't take it out of the bag.

-Steven

I would go with the wedge.

I just dropped my 5 wood recently and gained a 56 degree wedge

I do hit my hybrids fine so I think removing the 5W and adding the LW will be the best option for me. Now I just need my new Taylormade Burner 3W to show up:twist:

Back