Irons and Driver for Mid-High Handicap Golfer?

kyle87

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey everyone. New to the forums. I was brought here by a review link on the Taylormade Superlaunch irons review. So here is my question. I'm looking for a set of irons & driver that would be good for me as I have a pretty slow club head speed and don't get much out of my shots. I've been looking mostly between the Cobra S3 Max irons and the Superlaunches as mentioned before. I'm not a guru on golf and don't know much of the terminology, so please bear with me. I play casually, probably around once every 2 months at most because I'm not much on money and I'm in college right now. Basically what I'm asking without dragging this out much is what would be some suggestions for me.

I hit my 3 wood and driver about the same distance which is usually around 170 yds and 200 on a very solid hit. I have a considerable slice with my driver though so I usually just leave it in my bag. It really kills my game as I can't really make up with it that much with my irons. I usually hit my irons very straight and have decent launch out of my strokes but nothing to brag about by any means. I get about 120 out of my 7 iron. Mostly due to my slow club head speed. I played golf in high school and could get much more distance out of my clubs then as I can now. I used to hit about 200-220 on my drive without much slice. I guess the 3 year layover that I had without playing really screwed up my technique and I just cannot get back to those days. I'm actually considerably lighter than I was then which is about 295 now as I was around 340lbs then. Enough with my life story basically what would be some good clubs for me to look at for something around my game. My friend who is an avid golfer suggested a Callaway Diablo Edge 13 degree driver to help me out with more distance. I would like something around the price range of the Cobra S3 Max and the Superlaunch and a not too pricey driver. This is going to be a graduation gift from my mom and I'm not looking to get the most expensive thing I can find. Thanks for any help you can provide. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

The clubs I'm using now are a cheap set of Foremost that I bought from Wal Mart when I was in High School. I usually score about a 110-120 when I go play. Every now and then slightly under 110. I'm graduating in May so I have a little time to mull this over. So if there are any new models coming out between now and then that would fit my criteria feel free to suggest them.

Adams a12OS iron/hybrid set would be a good choice. Something a couple years older, I'd suggest the Cleveland HB3's. I've played both and think they are both very good clubs. I tried the SuperLaunch irons but they didn't work for me as much as the HB3's. They were a stiff shaft, so that might have been the problem.

As far as driver, from the reviews I've seen so far, the Cleveland CG Black driver is something I'm pondering.

Hey Kyle, welcome!

Check out the Cleveland Black driver testing threads. From your description its right in your wheelhouse. As for irons there are a ton of threads here you can read through. Ones that jump to mind are the Wilson Staff di11 or the di9 which can be found at very good prices.

Up at the top of the page click the forum tab, then look in the equipment sub-forum, tons of info to help you.

--
tapatalk

Have you thought about getting fitted for clubs? Club technology has changed so much in the past 3-5 years that it might benefit you to see which ones can help your game.

Have you thought about getting fitted for clubs? Club technology has changed so much in the past 3-5 years that it might benefit you to see which ones can help your game.

Sadly enough the only shot that I have at trying out any clubs is at Dick's or Academy. There really aren't any shops around where I live that have multiple clubs to try out. I've never been to Dick's and asked to try anything. Will they let you hit anything on the simulator or do they have a set of very select demo clubs like Academy? There used to be a Golf Etc. where I live but it has since shut down.

Kyle, I'm a bit partial but I cannot help but second Smallvilles suggestion about checking out the Adams A12os thread. Wonderful irons that could very well assist with you distance and offer a ton of forgiveness. You should check it out!

Kyle, I'm a bit partial but I cannot help but second Smallvilles suggestion about checking out the Adams A12os thread. Wonderful irons that could very well assist with you distance and offer a ton of forgiveness. You should check it out!

^^^This^^^ also check out the Cleveland "Black" line. If all you have is Dicks it may be rough. Check out the links that Smalls provided above.

^^^This^^^ also check out the Cleveland "Black" line. If all you have is Dicks it may be rough. Check out the links that Smalls provided above.

Yes unfortunately mostly likely whatever I purchase will wind up being a blind purchase without any testing. Not really any opportunity to try anything out. My friend just got a set of Burner Plus but I didn't really play them all that well. Only got one decent shot off out of the 3 times I tried. I guess I didn't really have much time to get used to the feel of them though.

If you want to save money look at getting a used set of G15's or Di9's. Good quality there and very forgiving clubs. I play Calloway X-20's and they've gotten me down as low as a 13 handicap so far.

Kyle, Dick's will generally tape up anything in their shop and let you hit them. Also, if price really is a big factor, the Wilson Staff DI 9 irons mentioned above are really decent irons for around $200. But, you probably won't find them at Dick's. Rockbottom Golf sold out of them at $199. If you're slicing your driver that bad, you might try one of the older square headed drivers. The one thing they did well was hit pretty straight. Rockbottom Golf has the Callaway FT-IQ driver which was huge seller a couple of years ago on sale now for $99. But, I agree with Deltmi and others, it would be worth a trip into Dick's to hit a few.

Kyle, Dick's will generally tape up anything in their shop and let you hit them. Also, if price really is a big factor, the Wilson Staff DI 9 irons mentioned above are really decent irons for around $200. But, you probably won't find them at Dick's. Rockbottom Golf sold out of them at $199. If you're slicing your driver that bad, you might try one of the older square headed drivers. The one thing they did well was hit pretty straight. Rockbottom Golf has the Callaway FT-IQ driver which was huge seller a couple of years ago on sale now for $99. But, I agree with Deltmi and others, it would be worth a trip into Dick's to hit a few.

Price isn't a huge factor more of just trying to be considerate as it is a gift. Trying to keep it around 300-350 for the irons and around 100-150 for the driver. Driver isn't really the major factor as much as it is a plus that I find one that can help me off the tee much better. I'm more concerned about the irons because that is the strongest part of my game. I just need something that will give me more height and distance out of my game to make up for my short comings off the tee. Glad to hear that Dick's will tape up clubs and allow you to hit them. Has anyone in here tried out the Cobra S3 Max? Those really caught my eye and seemed to have great reviews.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Adams as far as max game improvement goes. Just not really too much on the look of them. I know that is a minor factor but it is something that I do look at in clubs. I really liked the Cleveland Black Driver but it is definitely out of my price range.

It sounds like you have the same issues as me (both slice and weight lol.) The best driver I have found to help my slice for the $$$ is Nicklaus ml4. It's only $60 right now, which is an absolute steal. There is a thread on this site about the driver. Great reviews. I'd go with the regular shaft from what you've indicated, it sounds like you don't have a super fast swing speed. Use the code: "RockHead5Off" to get 5% off your bill. I think it should include free shipping. Honestly, unless you're going to get fitted and try a TON of clubs, it's going to be tough to find the best fit for you, but, this is a great option imo. Also, the offset version, which I will link for you, tends to help slices from what I understand. Hope this helps, good luck.

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/nicklaus-golf-dual-point-ml4-driver.html

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?20223-Nicklaus-ML4-Driver-Forum-Testing-Review/page54

A
lso, my previous driver was the square callaway ft i mix driver, and I feel like this driver is just as straight and goes 10 or so yards farther. I really don't think you can go wrong with the ML4 especially for the $$$.

Some random comments, having been there myself last year.

+1 for Adams. Based on recommendations from a number of places which pointed to Adams as being a good step up into "game improvement" clubs, I upgraded from my own starter set last year to a set of Adams A4R irons (from Dick's) and added a 3 hybrid and sand wedge from eBay.

These are definitely a couple of generations behind the current state of the art but as such were inexpensive (limited budget here too) and are light years better than the starters which I bought from overstock.com. They feel a LOT better and my game responded positively as a result - consistent performance was the biggest change.

Probably set from a "known" clubmaker will likely be a significant improvement over a starter set - Dick's is a great place to go swing a bunch of clubs. You'll feel the difference just holding them in your hand.

Hope this helps!

Ken

I tested out some the irons in your sights here and ended up with a surprising choice:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...8582-Getting-New-Clubs!-Am-I-missing-anything

If you want super forgiving look at the Cleveland Xli or HB3's. I still have a set of Xli's and love playing them.

My problem area with a driver is now a pull not a slice, but previously I had a wicked slice that was so bad I didn't even carry a driver. The driver that cured that for me was the Cleveland Hibore XL. I had the super launch version (16 degree) included as a bonus when I bought the set of Xli irons. My slice vanished and I was suddenly able to hit straight shots down the middle. It was not much further than my 3 wood- but a real confidence builder off the tee. I 'graduated' up to the 11.5 and then the 10.5 version and I can now get it out there over 200. A bit loud, but the XL is cheap now (probably in the same range as the ML4) - and in my opinion a much easier and better club for a higher handicapper than the Cleveland XLS, Launcher 09, DST, and the Ultralight models. Really worth looking at. The 11.5 version with the gold shaft could be a real winner for you.

For a bit more money, the Ping K15 is pretty hard to hit a slice with.

There have been some excellent suggestions so far. Especially with the drivers. This is one area where I'm just completely lost as I've never really done much research into them. Keep the suggestions coming. :D

Go To Dicks and hit everything you can find in the price range you are looking in. I am playing the Burner Plus irons and play them well they are reasonably priced and are forgiving. While your at Dicks get an idea from the pro if they have one there as too what type of shaft you should be playing as far as flex and material.

I would also check out any local golf courses and see who sells clubs you may be able to find one that can cut you/your mom a good deal on a new set or may have a used set that you can buy. The used set could be rentals or even ones someone traded in. They may even be able to hook you up with a member who has a set they are wanting to get rid of.

Best of luck in your search for clubs and congratulations on graduating this may.

+1 to this. There's all kinds of positive feedback coming out of the a12os review thread. I would check that out.

There have been some excellent suggestions so far. Especially with the drivers. This is one area where I'm just completely lost as I've never really done much research into them. Keep the suggestions coming. :D
Since price is a consideration, check out the Adams a7OS irons. And you can probably get an older set of the HB3, they are about two years old now.

Since price is a consideration, check out the Adams a7OS irons. And you can probably get an older set of the HB3, they are about two years old now.

That's another good suggestion. The price on the a7os's has come down so you can probably get a good deal on them. For what it's worth, I almost got the A7os set last year but ended up going with the A7's and like them quite a bit.

Depending on ow cheap you want to go I would recommend the wilson di11 or di9. Haven't hit the Adams clubs but they look good too. Rockbottom have them fairly cheap so probably a good place to start looking if price is a consideration.

Considering what you have described & the level and amount you play plus the money to invest in your game, I think the club choices are just fine. I would also add if you can find em online from a representable dealer or at a store is Cobra S2 Max. For Drivers I would follow your buddy's advise & find a 13* driver. The more loft helps with eliminating side spin & also is easier to get airborne. And look for new last year or two driver. There are alot of good drivers out there & @ a great savings being older models.

I would take a look at Dicks and see if they have any Adams products. Good products at low prices.

Kyle I am going to say you might want to give the Cleveland Black series a look. They were created for those with slower swing speeds in mind.

Kyle I am going to say you might want to give the Cleveland Black series a look. They were created for those with slower swing speeds in mind.

I agree! But hit as much as you can within your range

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Back