In between shaft flexes..

Nate<80

Team Hackers, Morgan Cup 2022
Reaction score
Handicap
11.3 Grint
Just over a year ago, I switched to an extra stiff shaft, and after a few weeks of things going fine my game off the tee crumbled. Before I made the switch, I checked my swing speed and it was in the range for an X, but on the lower end. I have been struggling even more as of late and have started to contemplate if I am in a shaft where I feel like I have to swing my hardest and that has lead to bad results.

Has anyone been in between driver shaft flexes? Which one did you choose?

I am not hitting fairways, which has completely taken away my GIR's.. I need to turn it around!

Just over a year ago, I switched to an extra stiff shaft, and after a few weeks of things going fine my game off the tee crumbled. Before I made the switch, I checked my swing speed and it was in the range for an X, but on the lower end. I have been struggling even more as of late and have started to contemplate if I am in a shaft where I feel like I have to swing my hardest and that has lead to bad results.

I am not hitting fairways, which has completely taken away my GIR's.. I need to turn it around!
First world long ball hitter problems! 🙄🤣

Jokes aside, when I am in mid season form I can handle a stiff but, it's easier sticking to a regular flex for when I'm stiff and not swinging well and so that's what's in my bag.

I have been told many times that you should go with the most flexible shaft that gives you the best combo of distance and control.

I wish it was long in the right direction. Recently my miss has been a hard low hook left 😬
That's mine when I'm trying to swinging a stiff flex and just not loose enough.

i've generally been told to swing the lightest, softest golf shaft that i can time properly.

i'm almost always between stiff and regular. the only time i've gone regular, i ended up switching back to stiff. i've also tried to go lighter, and ended up going back up to a slightly heavier weight i prefer.

for my tempo and transition, a lightweight softer shaft seems to make a lot of sense. but in practice i did not fare very well.

I have been told many times that you should go with the most flexible shaft that gives you the best combo of distance and control.

I think that’s what I might need to do. Forget about swing speed and focus on what performs best. Honestly, it’s just an overwhelming process to pick the right shaft.

I think that’s what I might need to do. Forget about swing speed and focus on what performs best. Honestly, it’s just an overwhelming process to pick the right shaft.

I believe players adapt to the shaft (s) they are swinging. Specifically, too stout/stiff of a shaft naturally causes a player to swing too hard paced at the ball. Too soft of a shaft naturally causes a player to make an easier paced, smoother swing.

@Nate<80, what weight shaft have you been swinging? The X.

I'm between regular and stiff but I find some of my regular shafts are as stout as my stiff shafts. that said, I hit my fathers senior shafts every now and again to try out some of his new equipment and mostly what I see is a higher ball flight that sometimes looks like a bird shot down from the sky. I don't see much directional challenge.

Before obsessing about shaft flex, I would be checking where my hands are at impact. They need to be over the target foot through impact. Get this right first then look at the flex issue.

I believe players adapt to the shaft (s) they are swinging. Specifically, too stout/stiff of a shaft naturally causes a player to swing too hard paced at the ball. Too soft of a shaft naturally causes a player to make an easier paced, smoother swing.

Yes, exactly. And that’s where I’m starting to think a stiff flex will allow me to work a slower paced easy swing.

I think the weight, balance and shaft profile are more important than being half a flex off of ideal.

I have a TX flex shaft that is super easy to launch (Tensei Blue) and a stiff flex Ventus black that shoots bullets.

I’d def recommend getting an outdoor fitting with a LM if you can. Also, be careful about making sure to use your on course swing during your fitting, not your driving range swing.

I’d recommend heavier option on the lighter flex.

Some do make a TS. Halfway between a S and and X.

No one measures a damn thing the same way so ones X may be someone else’s S anyways.

Sounds like you my friend need a driver fitting. Or if we can hook up and play and you wanna just try one out, I can bring up an S flex in about the same weight. You’ll probably have to tip swap as I think both of my Conra tipped Shafts are in drivers in play.

Play the lightest and most flexible shaft that you can control is what I've understood. But I also think that the type of shaft and its characteristics can play into things here. For instance, there's a big difference between a HZRDUS black and a Riptide even if they're both in 6.5 flex. And to that end, "it's not how fast you swing, it's how you swing fast."

Are you an aggressive or smooth transition player?

i was in the same boat until recently. i played everything X stiff (except wedges). i switched all to stiff flex and could not be hitting the ball better. for example, i was playing a 70g x/tx shaft in my driver (ventus, tensei, diamana, etc). Definitely took the left side out but when I missed, I missed badly. Now I’m in a PX RDX Black 70g profile in 6.0. Drawing the ball beautifully and not losing it both ways.

that said, instead of flex which is different per brand, i’d look at the shaft profile and weight. my woods are still mid/low launch low spin shafts, but flexed down.

i think it was already mentioned above, but the old general rule of thumb was play the softest shaft that you can control. i’d go get on a launch monitor and your local shop and try to hit as many different profiles as possible.

One company/model X is another's S and vice versa. I also have TS that are easy and X's or tipped S's that require more. I play them for different courses and swings. You can definitely soften it up, but a little different profile might work too.

Last edited:
Flexes are really just for decoration. All the different shaft profiles change from one lineup, or one manufacturer, to another. A stiff Ventus may play far stiffer than an X flex in another lineup. Best thing to do is to hit several options and decide on the feel that you're comfortable with and obviously let the performance speak for itself.

Before obsessing about shaft flex, I would be checking where my hands are at impact. They need to be over the target foot through impact. Get this right first then look at the flex issue.

Thanks. This is definitely something to think about. I come back to flex of shaft because once I went to X everything fell apart off the tee. But certainly need to reevaluate the swing as well!

I think the weight, balance and shaft profile are more important than being half a flex off of ideal.

I have a TX flex shaft that is super easy to launch (Tensei Blue) and a stiff flex Ventus black that shoots bullets.

I’d def recommend getting an outdoor fitting with a LM if you can. Also, be careful about making sure to use your on course swing during your fitting, not your driving range swing.

Great advice, thanks!

I’m very much on the borderline between stiff and X...

Thanks. This is definitely something to think about. I come back to flex of shaft because once I went to X everything fell apart off the tee. But certainly need to reevaluate the swing as well!
In reality, the stiffer the shaft the more effort we put into the swing. In order to generate swing speed where it counts the hands need to be ahead of the ball position through impact. The shaft lean thing through impact is more a swing technique issue rather than effort.

Back