If You Won the Lottery

skigolfmike

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I won the lottery (I’d have to play first, LOL) I would be tempted to restore this course as I sure miss playing thee.
81B3D38D-5143-46CC-9B80-66B8C2B3A51E.jpeg
Here’s how it looks today 10 years after closing.

9D488C47-662B-4D9A-A16C-756C64B86446.jpeg
It’s a damn shame when a good course ends up like this.

Which course is that?

sad thread.
here's the course closest to me growing up, now with housing over driving range 1, 5, 7, 8, 9, 17 and parts of a couple more.
honestly looking at it now, it could be a nice 9 hole setup with some work. :unsure:

cccc.jpg

Man, I don't know what I would do if I won the lottery, but would definitely spend money on golf in some capacity.

Golf trips / Golf Membership(s) etc.
First thing I'm doing is taking a long golf vacation! Preferably to Scotland and Ireland.

@baylrballa - I think you can still squeeze a 9 hole course between the houses.

I like the idea of buying a course. I don't like the idea of the continual outlay of funds to upkeep it.

Do you make it private, or have it be a public course? Or close it completely and have it be your very own oasis that no outsider can access?

I was also sad when the course I grew up at and logged most of my first 1,500 rounds, was closed. The lower image is from Google Earth so it's not that old.

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 9.09.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-02 at 9.07.02 AM.png

If I won the lottery I would immediately sign up for a Dormie Network membership but the idea of buying a golf course seems very fun

Yep, my home public course growing up is now a middle class single family housing development for the last 4/5 years. You can make out a few of the holes from the back nine in the top left quadrant of the image. Several of the streets were named after golf courses. Learned how to play on this course. First ever round of golf with my folks was here back in 1980. I think on a larger scale the public golf course business model is declining. Even with the covid boom. Ironic how a winning the lottery thread is so depressing for some here lol.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 100958.jpg

My two best friends and I have this all mapped out. If any of us ever win the lottery we buy a golf course, all run it together. We have a buddy who’s a teaching pro in the DC area. He’s going to be our instructor. And, of course, Tiger will design our course because, well, Tiger.

My backyard would look like Dave Pelz's backyard.pelz-backyard-8.jpg

Buying a course would be nice. But I'd rather use a leaf blower than a lawn mower.

I’d design, build, and maintain a small private course. That, or probably the cheaper, easier option of just having a couple memberships to exclusive private courses where I don’t have to deal with too many others.

I would buy a house at the Hideaway for the winters that would be first priority!

Yep, my home public course growing up is now a middle class single family housing development for the last 4/5 years. You can make out a few of the holes from the back nine in the top left quadrant of the image. Several of the streets were named after golf courses. Learned how to play on this course. First ever round of golf with my folks was here back in 1980. I think on a larger scale the public golf course business model is declining. Even with the covid boom. Ironic how a winning the lottery thread is so depressing for some here lol.

Developer: "We're going to pave over and build houses on the course you love, but we'll name the streets after golf courses so that will make everything OK.":banghead:

I'd camp out at Bandon. Dunes for a month.

Then head Cabo for a couple months.

Most of my winnings would go into investments. The use money to make money scenario

I wouldn't be buying a course, but funding a restoration would be a pretty cool use of funds. For golf expenditures, as others have said, an amazing golf trip would be in order probably as priority #1. Also, bringing my friends along to play as well.

I don't really want to deal with a course solo... if someone came to me with a background and said now that you have some change...let's put it to work maybe... although I like playing golf and maybe later in life buy a course.

membership,
property/house
simulator
Brandon trip
Dormie club member

first thing disappear to get all affairs in order, then once dust settles I think some exclusive golf memberships would be more ideal for me then trying to run/maintain own course with young family

Was talking about this yesterday with my buddies on the porch of the golf club after our round. If I win the Powerball lottery this week I would offer to buyout the other shareholders of the golf course and it would go from being semi-private to private.

The Maintenance budget and staff would be significantly increased. Salaries would go up for all of the loyal and dependable workers. The menu would reflect all of my favorites. The practice facilities and driving range would get another upgrade. The irrigation system would be replaced and some new equipment would be purchased.

I might try to buy some of the adjoining lots that have not already been developed.

The 500 acres of Pine Plantation across the street from my house would be purchased and I would put up a barn
to store my boats and vehicles and turn the property into my hunting and fishing playground.

There are a number of charitable bequests I would make and I would also be generous to my Mother, brother and sister and their children.

I daydream about what I'd do more than I'd like to admit. First and foremost would be building my club building shop/simulator shed/garage. Second would be a heated bay outdoor driving range.

But yeah a lot of travel and a lot of golf trips with the guys.

How is there not an Office Space "2 chicks at once" gif?

I would buy complete bags of all the OEMs (after telling my wife we'd won the lottery, of course).

Back