If you delete one rule from the USGA rulebook, what would it be?

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Just like the title states, if you had the power to remove one rule from the USGA rulebook, what would it be, and why?

While we're young?

Yeah get rid of OB and make it red stakes

Stroke and distance for lost ball and O.B. Play a lost/OB ball like it's a water hazard, since most golfers are doing this already.

Stroke and distance for lost ball and O.B. Play a lost/OB ball like it's a water hazard, since most golfers are doing this already.

I second this. Also speeds up the game.

OB has to go!!! Playing the course as a Lateral Hazard would go a long way towards speeding up play, and increasing enjoyment. How on earth does it make sense that solid contact slighly misdirected is a more severe penalty than a whiff?!?!

I would make all water hazards lateral. Eliminate the yellow stakes.

By far imo the most annoying, and unfair rule for amateurs. Especially when our ball is in a location where it should be found and even if somewhat off the beat and path. Reason I say unfair is because pros balls are almost immediately found for them before they even leave the darn tee box. I mean we do see them hit in the woods, fescue, bushes, whatever and always their ball is found for them. Yet we can hit balls not even as bad and lose them simply in the rough, under a leaf, etc...or even if a tad errant but in a place that is more than open enough where as it would easily be found had we many eyes watching the darn thing.

They don't even get any penalty at all while we have to get both stroke and distance (basically 2 strokes fwiw). Its just ridiculous imo. I will not do it anymore. I will do it when I know my ball is gone and significantly errant. But when hit decently but just not in the fairway, or if off to the side a few yards (or close) into to a tree canopy, fescue, whatever, where as the ball would easily be found given a hundred sets of eyes (which they have for them) that we don't have.

On anther note I would also like to see a rule that says once one begins to putt they are to finish putting till holed even if on ones line and not be allowed pick up nor touch the ball again. I know this will meet resistance but honestly it would imo be about the biggest saver of pace to exist while not ever imo being as detrimental to others putts as people think it would.

this. dumbest rule in golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make everything a lateral hazard.

this. dumbest rule in golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly thinks its one the most unfair and practical rule to be changed but there are (to be fair ) plenty other "dumb" ones. Things like disqualifying players for technicalities which may have nothing to do with the actual players performance of the game.

By far imo the most annoying, and unfair rule for amateurs. Especially when our ball is in a location where it should be found and even if somewhat off the beat and path. Reason I say unfair is because pros balls are almost immediately found for them before they even leave the darn tee box. I mean we do see them hit in the woods, fescue, bushes, whatever and always their ball is found for them. Yet we can hit balls not even as bad and lose them simply in the rough, under a leaf, etc...or even if a tad errant but in a place that is more than open enough where as it would easily be found had we many eyes watching the darn thing.

They don't even get any penalty at all while we have to get both stroke and distance (basically 2 strokes fwiw). Its just ridiculous imo. I will not do it anymore. I will do it when I know my ball is gone and significantly errant. But when hit decently but just not in the fairway, or if off to the side a few yards (or close) into to a tree canopy, fescue, whatever, where as the ball would easily be found given a hundred sets of eyes (which they have for them) that we don't have.

On anther note I would also like to see a rule that says once one begins to putt they are to finish putting till holed even if on ones line and not be allowed pick up nor touch the ball again. I know this will meet resistance but honestly it would imo be about the biggest saver of pace to exist while not ever imo being as detrimental to others putts as people think it would.

This was an actual rule back in the day.

I third this

I 4th this. I lose balls 5 yards off the fairway due to my home course rough. No way I am taking a stroke and distance on that.

I'd really like to see a staggered rule set for golf based on skill level i.e. Beginner, amateur, semi pro, pro. Or it could simply be based on handicap number. Golf is odd in that regard. Youth sports in all other games make allowances for new or lesser skilled players. For example, in youth basketball, we don't call near as many travels as we do in high school bc we are trying to focus a little more on skill development. Would be nice to have a rule book where lots of things for amateurs weren't penalties like they are for pros. I try hard to abide the rules as written but dang it's hard to do so when I can only get out to play 1-2 times per month as opposed to 6-8 hours per day like pros.

In answer, I would agree that stroke and distance for OB is way too punitive.

Just stop the madness with the slightly-anchored putting. That'd be good.

Just stop the madness with the slightly-anchored putting. That'd be good.

That's a good one. Make anchoring legal and the problem is gone.

Good suggestions so far. For me, it's the "can't post scores as a single".

I hate Tapatalk

Just like the title states, if you had the power to remove one rule from the USGA rulebook, what would it be, and why?

Stroke and distance for OB. Should be like red stakes.

The no single rounds counting for cap too.

Playing out of a divot is certainly up there, but it's not my #1 beef with the current rules.

Stroke and Distance for a "lost ball" is the stupidest rule in golf and the one that causes the most issues and frustration in our League over the course of a year. The whole group can agree a ball should be "right here!!!" but nope you have to go back to the tee and hit 3.
The other issue that's related to this is that courses don't do a proper job of marking hazards properly. Your tee ball bounces 1 foot into some tall grass that isn't marked as a hazard...guess what? Lost ball. Back to the tee! Argh it's so stupid.

Playing out of a divot is certainly up there, but it's not my #1 beef with the current rules.

Stroke and Distance for a "lost ball" is the stupidest rule in golf and the one that causes the most issues and frustration in our League over the course of a year. The whole group can agree a ball should be "right here!!!" but nope you have to go back to the tee and hit 3.
The other issue that's related to this is that courses don't do a proper job of marking hazards properly. Your tee ball bounces 1 foot into some tall grass that isn't marked as a hazard...guess what? Lost ball. Back to the tee! Argh it's so stupid.
Going unreasonably past your ball when searching. I like to think I’m hulk and crush my drives into the left rough... then can’t find them. Walk 50 yards past and boom penalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Going unreasonably past your ball when searching. I like to think I’m hulk and crush my drives into the left rough... then can’t find them. Walk 50 yards past and boom penalty

so instead of getting rid of ridiculous or unpractical and/or unfair rules, your looking to add even more for us. That's great.

so instead of getting rid of ridiculous or unpractical and/or unfair rules, your looking to add even more for us. That's great.

No I’m saying get rid of that rule

Back