If a store or fitter didn't offer/deal in a couple of the top brands like Callaway and Cobra

Trust?

• Yes

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Hell No

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
would you trust them the same as one that did? How would it change how you see them?
Not really talking about a small shop that has limited resources and space.

Sure why not? But I would be sure to test out the clubs they didn't have

If it's a small shop I would understand the limitations. For a big one I would find it odd.

I don't think it would impact my "trust" for said store, but I definitely wouldn't frequent it as much as a store that carries more brands all other things equal.

I would look at it the same as if you were going to GolfTec here, and they only offered Callaway and Ping (which I think is all there was when I did a fitting there last time).

Either they have limitations on what they want to bring in,
They have better relationships with those companies/reps,
Or, they just prefer to fit those brands,

Any of those really, you always have the option to go elsewhere. I realize it may not be an option for some, but it is an option still.
Either you choose to be fit into those brands, or you don't.
Trust wise? I don't think it is an issue. As long as you trust a fitter to fit you properly in the first place.

Could be any number of reasons why they didn’t carry those brands, and I don’t think it would affect my trust levels.

If it's a small shop I would understand the limitations. For a big one I would find it odd.
I'm kind of here too.

With some understanding it may make some sense but if you look at only those data points it may be a bit odd.

If it is a bigger location I would maybe question it but on a smaller business I would not think much of it.

I'm kind of here too.

With some understanding it may make some sense but if you look at only those data points it may be a bit odd.
It wouldn't affect my trust level, but I would find somewhere else to test the other major brands or go somewhere else if I wanted a comprehensive fitting.

Sure. Probably good reasons that brands might be limited.

Some places actively try to keep their brands a bit lower because it's easier to manage the relationships and you develop some expertise etc.

My pro shop actually had to set up 2 new accounts just for me personally because i buy so much stuff LOL. We didn't have a Mizuno account for example. I don't believe we have Cobra either.

If a pro shop was like one of the top TMAG accounts in the state, i could see them having 1-2 other brands but maybe not have Callaway or something. It's not crazy

The pro shop at my club is a Titleist shop. They offer fitting days on Titleist clubs. If the Titleist clubs don't out perform my gamers, then no purchase. Also, we get a discount on Titleist equipment if purchased through them.

I don’t believe there’s a reputable OEM that doesn’t offer the perfect full bag set up.

Preferences though, are another thing.

i don't know exactly how the particular factories in golf work with distributors or retailers but, in my industry, it's not unusual for the larger manufacturers to put demands on smaller distributors or retailers that these smaller shops just can't deal with (crazy high minimum sales requirements either monthly or annually among them). So... that's a possibility OR perhaps a particular shop just feels like a specific brand is over represented locally and opts out. I'm sure there are a host of other possibilities as well.

You can't count on getting an optimized fit if the choices available to the fitter are limited.

Years ago I was fitted for irons by Mizuno, one of the premier iron brands. This was a manufacturer's fitting and I have no doubts about the skill of the person who fit me. I had a full bag fitting at Club Champion just a year later (comprehensive, brand-agnostic fitting). Of all the clubs in my bag, the ones I most needed to replace were my shiny new Mizuno iron set! The dispersion pattern was so much tighter!

Here's the thing.

The Mizuno rep. had something like 7 heads and maybe as many shafts available to him. Club Champion had several thousand combinations of iron heads and shafts available to them.

The skill of the fitter of course matters. But the scenario above essentially has the fitter's hands tied.

If it's an outfit with multiple locations and a fairly strong market presence, I probably wouldn't buy anything until I'd tried the brands it didn't have available.

The guy, a solo practitioner so to speak, that I've used in the past has culled a few OEMs because they didn't sell well enough. Unfortunately, one of them was Cobra. He told me that he saw players hit the Cobra products better but buy a more well known brand.

My local CC doesn't have any UST Mamiya shafts in their quiver.
No Recoil, LinQ or even ProForce.
I suspect it's because many of UST's shaft are offered stock by most OEM's
They doun't have any Mitsubishi Iron shafts either.

Quite honestly things are so similar that you can find a good fit into something from 3-4 different brands. If I am going to a certain store then I pretty much know what I am leaning towards anyways. If I want full brand agnostic fitting then I would choose True Spec or Club Champion to get that done.

Wouldn't really affect my opinion of them. I feel like you can find a quality fit with most of the big brands so unless I really wanted to try out a brand they didn't carry, i'm sure I could find a good fit for my game.

Went yes as I’m cynical anyway.

would you trust them the same as one that did? How would it change how you see them?
Not really talking about a small shop that has limited resources and space.
Not sure I understand what you are asking..

Not sure I understand what you are asking..
If you went somewhere to get clubs, get fit, whatever, and they just didn't deal in those two brands.

If you went somewhere to get clubs, get fit, whatever, and they just didn't deal in those two brands.
Ah, I wouldn't care.. If I wanted a brand not offered i would go somewhere else. If they had what I wanted I would go there. lol.

My Titleist fitting was the best I have had. Hit outside with monitor and had whole matrix of club heads for their brand & shafts on hand.
And they only had Titleist!!

I think I answered this according to the question? If a fitter doesnt have everything available its hard to say you will find your best fit. But if you can walk in and find something you love, thats all that matters

Back