Idea for Future THP Golf Outings

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
Thought I'd throw this out there to see what kind of reaction it gets....just another crazy T Hanks idea/thought. For the next Outing that THP has, would anyone like to have a specific vendor show up and conduct a seminar specific to their brand in addition to all the other equipment available to hit?

For example, would it be of interest or worthwhile to have say Taylormade show up on one of the days for half the day and provide training, quick fittings, swing analysis, Q&A, and demo their current gear (clubs, apparel, etc.) Again, this would be in addition to being able to hit the customary plethora of equipment normally found at a THP Outing.

I like that idea Thanks, heck often times vendors like that will even pick up the bill (or a good portion of it). I can't specifically say that without a doubt but I know in my line of work they do.

Or to take it a step further, give educational type of classroom training on equipment, apparel, training, etc... Learn why golf balls do what. Learn why shafts do what, etc... Im very interested in hearing about this. Interesting stuff TH.

I think that would be an awesome addition. I think it would be great to have someone from a specific shaft line, or have someone like Dave Peltz(obviously not him) come by and talk about wedges, the bounce angles, grooves, sole grinds etc.

Having someone talk about golf balls is interesting to. Different dimple patterns, layers, compression, cover. Great idea Thanks!

I would like that. Great idea. Some of the stuff JB said could maybe be given like a webinar too. The more I learn about golf the better.

Wouldn't that go against the no OEM rule? I mean we can do it on another day beside the demo day so technically they cannot influence our decisions. I like the idea of having a speaker so maybe one that is not tied down to a specific OEM or have it during the dinner so they can pick up the tab for speaking that sort of thing. I don't think you want to cram too much stuff into a 2 day event though. I don't know, just throwing out some stuff.

I think an instructional/informational class on shafts would be very helpful. It seems they are very important and often overlooked, and I still have very little grasp on what is important to look for/what would fit me. Also, what about a mini-class on the golf swing itself? Analyze some proper golf swings with slo-mo, giving little pointers on proper technique/feel?

i vote yes to all of the above.

i can't help but think that it would be an amazing opportunity for whatever type of communication any OEM would be willing to do for us.

I would love this, here is why: the one thing that I can not grasp, because I have not tried to research it or learn it is WEDGES! the only thing I dont grasp is the bounce. Again, the reason is that I have not tried. I have a CG7 BP SW and I love it. Hence the reason why I have not cared to learn more. I know there are many things golf I do not know, so I think it would be fun to do something like this. Especially in an evening atmosphere where I can have a few beers.

THP needs to come to either Southern Cal or Las Vegas . period.

Wouldn't that go against the no OEM rule? I mean we can do it on another day beside the demo day so technically they cannot influence our decisions. I like the idea of having a speaker so maybe one that is not tied down to a specific OEM or have it during the dinner so they can pick up the tab for speaking that sort of thing. I don't think you want to cram too much stuff into a 2 day event though. I don't know, just throwing out some stuff.

There are different rules for everything we have done. It would certainly be separate from our regular demo days that we do now.

I kinda like the idea of "going to school" and learning straight from the experts why things are the way they are. Tell me about fitting, tell me about shafts, tell me about golf balls, wedges, putters, etc... Why do things do what they do. I like the classroom idea a lot as long as it didnt take up more than a couple of hours each day.

I love the idea of mini classroom sessions. Maybe have those on the course so we can get real, up close examples. Easier to learn when you can see it in motion live. I'm not even sure I would think brand specific would be necessary but maybe have more JB's running around! Categories I would to like hear about would be:

- Fundementals
- Shafts... Live class with examples of how they work
- Golf Ball
- Proper Fittings

Those are just some topics I'd love to learn more about.

There are different rules for everything we have done. It would certainly be separate from our regular demo days that we do now.

I kinda like the idea of "going to school" and learning straight from the experts why things are the way they are. Tell me about fitting, tell me about shafts, tell me about golf balls, wedges, putters, etc... Why do things do what they do. I like the classroom idea a lot as long as it didnt take up more than a couple of hours each day.

I dont think it would matter the time if it was done in the evening while we ate and had some beers/cokes/wine/water. Not a formal type of thing.

Well if you don't have OEM's there you can do them during demo days so it'll give us a break from the range, so long as it's not dragged out. I even like a panel of experts to answer questions during the dinner so we can do Q&A and even speak to them face to face. Like I said, just as long as it's not information overload since we would be losing the message. Love the ideas though and maybe we can experiment with Andy this outing and see how an "info session" could be worked into the demo day.

I would love a short game class/seminar. If you consider this is where most of your scoring comes in to play. I think it is an interesting idea for the future

Well if you don't have OEM's there you can do them during demo days so it'll give us a break from the range, so long as it's not dragged out. I even like a panel of experts to answer questions during the dinner so we can do Q&A and even speak to them face to face. Like I said, just as long as it's not information overload since we would be losing the message. Love the ideas though and maybe we can experiment with Andy this outing and see how an "info session" could be worked into the demo day.

Andy will only be there for 1 demo day and 1 round of golf, so I am not sure that would work, but maybe. But keep in mind, if it is classroom kind of stuff, I think the experts should be R&D people. We are not talking about sales reps coming in to sell products, that is not what we do here, but the actual people behind a product could be very beneficial to some.

I need a year straight of bunker work...hehehe

anyway that maybe you could plan a future outing around the same time as the pga show? seems to me that most of the OEM's would already be in fla, and that it might be easier to organize everything around that? i could be way wrong though, and not giving enough credit to just how much work is involved around that event.

Andy will only be there for 1 demo day and 1 round of golf, so I am not sure that would work, but maybe. But keep in mind, if it is classroom kind of stuff, I think the experts should be R&D people. We are not talking about sales reps coming in to sell products, that is not what we do here, but the actual people behind a product could be very beneficial to some.

Ok, I understand. With Andy we can just look at timing and ebbs and flows that kind of stuff. I'm sure there are lulls on the range that we can be aware of and say hey this would be an awesome time to break and go sit and listen to John Hoeflich talk about club making, that sort of thing. I would maybe limit it to 1 informational (R&D) and 1 instructional (short game expert) per day?

I plan on coming to the next one, would have been at this one if it wasn't for a stupid wedding, haha.

I don't know if I like the idea of a classroom setting, I'm on vacation to hit golf balls, drink beer and hang out with the cool people of THP. Not listen to some TM guy talk about his equipment so as long as it wasn't a mandatory thing that you had to do to be at the outing then that's fine. What I mean is you would have the option of going to listen to the TM guy or get to go do something else on the course. Now a Bridgestone ball fitting at the outing, that would be awesome but I don't want to sit in a classroom on a golf vacation and learn about one companies stuff.

anyway that maybe you could plan a future outing around the same time as the pga show? seems to me that most of the OEM's would already be in fla, and that it might be easier to organize everything around that? i could be way wrong though, and not giving enough credit to just how much work is involved around that event.

it would be very difficult for us to do that because of how busy we are at the time. It would also be very hard to have certain people stay an extra week or come a week early to the PGA Show to do this.

I will also say now, that if it is something we decide to do, it will be with 1 company only. For many different reasons.

it would be very difficult for us to do that because of how busy we are at the time. It would also be very hard to have certain people stay an extra week or come a week early to the PGA Show to do this.

I will also say now, that if it is something we decide to do, it will be with 1 company only. For many different reasons.

kinda figured that was the case. i'm all for it, but i would much prefer it take place after the demo morning and round of golf. i don't want my daylight taken up being inside. i'm ultimately there to demo/play golf/meet new folks/hang out.

Ok, I understand. With Andy we can just look at timing and ebbs and flows that kind of stuff. I'm sure there are lulls on the range that we can be aware of and say hey this would be an awesome time to break and go sit and listen to John Hoeflich talk about club making, that sort of thing. I would maybe limit it to 1 informational (R&D) and 1 instructional (short game expert) per day?

Its not going to be anything instructional with a teaching pro. This would strictly be R&D if we go this route.

I plan on coming to the next one, would have been at this one if it wasn't for a stupid wedding, haha.

I don't know if I like the idea of a classroom setting, I'm on vacation to hit golf balls, drink beer and hang out with the cool people of THP. Not listen to some TM guy talk about his equipment so as long as it wasn't a mandatory thing that you had to do to be at the outing then that's fine. What I mean is you would have the option of going to listen to the TM guy or get to go do something else on the course. Now a Bridgestone ball fitting at the outing, that would be awesome but I don't want to sit in a classroom on a golf vacation and learn about one companies stuff.

Understand your feelings. That is why we want all input. I will say that if it is something that we do, it would be mandatory to an extent, but your idea of what it is and mine are a little different. It would be about fittings, it would be about shafts, it would be about the game we play. It would NOT be a sales rep talking about their clubs.

I also want to add, that I am not sure where people assume it would be a TM guy, because frankly we have never even looked at a company. just something TH and I were talking about that we thought would be cool.

I used TM because thanks did, but it doesn't really matter what company it is. A speaker from the golf world at a dinner would be fine, but I worry about even a R&D guy from one specific company. Would a guy from Nike know my questions about Callaway or even answer them? Would Titleist answer my questions about the ZStar or just give me a sleeve of Pro V1s and say here these fit your 90 mph swing speed perfect (haha). I have my local pro, THP and google for questions...golf vacations are for just that, golf.

I'm sure you wouldn't steer us wrong JB, as I like what you stand for in your reviews and no OEM at demos rule...these are just my opinions.

Back