I soloed a glider today!

JF

Reaction score
These past two weeks, I've been out at one of our smaller airports flying gliders (taken a few flights powered as well) with the goal of soloing, and eventually earning my license. Today, it all paid off. On my seventh hop of the day (26th overall in a glider), I went up by myself and flew for 20 minutes with nobody to help me, talk to, or save me should something go horribly wrong. The landing was picture perfect, and now as I think back on it, it was the most amazing thing I've ever done. It was a bit nerve wracking during the first 500 feet of the tow (another airplane tows you up to altitude in a glider), but after that, it felt totally natural and all the fear was gone. Regrettably, I don't have the pictures yet, but should have them soon. The goal is to build up hours for the remainder of the year and get my license (to be able to carry passengers) next spring. If you've ever wanted to fly, but for economical reasons can't do powered airplanes, gliders are an awesome alternative with lower rental costs and no fuel costs. And I personally find them a lot more fun to fly.

This is what I started in:

300px-Schweizer2-33C-GRVS.JPG

I hope to be checked out in this in a few weeks:

Grob-Viking.jpg

Awesome JF, sounds like a blast.

Very cool, and congratulations.

Congrats, JF!

That sounds crazy!!!! Glad you're enjoying it, and glad it's you and not me hahaha!

Everyone thinks it would be scary. Unless you're deathly afraid of heights, I promise it isn't.

Congrats! Sounds scary but I bet you had a blast.

Good on you JF. There is not another feeling like glider flying.
I had three flights about 10 yrs ago. One winch launch and two tows. The winch is awesome.

Have done some powered fixed wing and even a back seat trip in a Tornado, but gliding is flying in it's purist form.

Just wish I had time and funds to get ppl, but at the moment golf will take priority.

Sounds like a blast, congrats on the solo.

Everyone thinks it would be scary. Unless you're deathly afraid of heights, I promise it isn't.

Not sure that I'd use the word scary... But crazy, more so haha! Just not my thing. Seems like you're really thriving on it though which is awesome.

That's sweet. I'd be scared lol congrats on your first solo, a few of my friends have their licenses (one commercial) and they were fired up after their first time. I know how rewarding it must feel.

That's awesome, JF. Congrats buddy.

WOW...looks cool but very intimidating at same time.

Those things are wicked man and congrats on the first solo flight! I have heard of gliders with emergency rocket engines, how do you feel about those?

That is pretty awesome JF, congrats.

Very very cool....and congrats !

That's on my bucket lost JF. That's great. Congrats!!!

Congrats JF , that's awesome.

Very cool

tappin from my big as note2

Congrats on a big milestone by soloing!!

Not sure that I'd use the word scary... But crazy, more so haha! Just not my thing. Seems like you're really thriving on it though which is awesome.

It gets crazy when you're at about an 80* angle looking straight up then hit 100MPH straight down recovering from it :)

Those things are wicked man and congrats on the first solo flight! I have heard of gliders with emergency rocket engines, how do you feel about those?

Never heard of such a thing. I'd think it would add quite a bit of unnecessary weight. You'd need to be in a nasty flat spin on a 0 wind day (extremely extremely hard to do) to need it honestly. Gliders are so easy to recover in. Nothing like a powered airplane where you'll fall out of the sky in a situation like that. I'll do some research on it.

Congrats dude. I would love to do something like that someday

Congrats! I soloed and got my single engine land class ticket back in 1997. I have not flown since my daughter was born over 10 years ago. I was thinking about getting back into it this summer. My daughter is pushing me to take her up. Maybe the glider add-on is the way to go.

Back