I feel like I've lost the desire to golf...

HuskAir

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't know if it's just the lack of time, due to moving and starting a new career, or my last round being one of the ugliest, most discouraging rounds in years for me, or something else... but I haven't hit a golf ball in over a month and a half (North Carolina Tour Van Stop) :sarcastic:. What is wrong with me? :banghead: I miss golf, but at the same time, haven't had the desire to even pick up a club. Heck, even my activity level on this board has dwindled. It's not like I live in a state where I can't golf any time I want to... I don't know what it is...

I just needed to get that off my chest.

Does anyone else ever have these moments?

dude I feel your pain, I'm bipolar with my golf swing sometimes and somedays I want to quit, others I want to continue working at it, this game sucks

I hate that feeling. I usually just go out and play until it's gone, lol.

That is a lot going on right now, not to mention the last round. Maybe get out to a grass range and hit a few before the commit. Getting out there is half the fun, relaxing and enjoying it is 1/4 the fun...the rest is up to you.

Golf moves fast so many companies with so many new clubs and not playing how you want to and just having a tough time can cause one to question how they spend leisure time and money. Once in a while a brake can be a good thing.

I say embrace the time off, and when you're ready to get back you'll be ready to rock.

a break every now and then will do some good im sure, you will come back when you are ready!

We all need a break every now and then...sometimes it does you some good to get away from the game.

This is a love / hate game. I felt the way you did when I was battling through a bad bout of tendinitis. It felt like somebody hammering nails into my elbow with every swing and every swing was a total disaster. I finally took a couple of months off, took some therapy for the tendinitis and know I feel better and back to golfing. Now only a few swings per round are a total disaster!

Sounds like you need to have "fun" golfing again. Maybe get in on a scramble with a few buddies?

I feel your pain, I don't know if its the colder air and my bad back so I'm way stiffer but i played my worst round of the year shooting the same score of my very first round last spring. But you know golf next week you can shoot your best round of the year, it is one weird sport!

Husk it's just a refresh time in your life. It's normal and often needed. There are so many more important things than playing golf. You will play again and you'll know when it's time.

As far as not THPing, now that's an issue. It's very selfish of you not to be on here....I kid of course. It's the same as above, life has away of resetting every once and a while. You're just in the workings of one right now.

Like everybody has said, its just a much needed break. Living in northern IN I get that 2-4 month break every year so I get the itch starting in the spring and feel refreshed and love the game again as much as I did before. But usually about this year I get the same feelings as you do. But now that I have found THP I dont know if I will ever get that feeling again.

Take what is given.....the break for now. You will get he feeling back!!

There is a golf lull after any THP event, mainly because when you arent playing with other THPers, Golf just isnt the same. Get out to the course, hit some balls, putt on the green or play 9 holes and see if the fire gets re-lit. If not, there is a sure fire way to get the Golf spark back...reach out to a THPer and set up a round!

Nothing wrong with you at all. Soooo many things that go on in ones life. Stresses, obligations, tasks, etc... Wether they are good or bad they are important and in the big picture they are most of the time and for most people more important than golf. Unless you make your living playing, teaching, or with anything related to golf then that is the truth.

"There is the old saying "you gotta have a clear head to golf". Obviously in your mind for right now, golf is not on the agenda. Golf (besides fun and a passion)can also be stressful and frustrating. Even if your game is good there are the dealngs with things like time and money that can add stress and a burden to ones desires to play the game. Especially with other things going on.

It doesnt sound like you are just simply frustrated with your play. If you were simply frustrated with your game then in just couple few days I think you would've gotten back that desire even if deciding a little break was called for. From your post it sounds like you are more frustrated at not understanding why you just dont seem to care right now. Which brings me back to my first couple statements above. Nothing wrong at all. Thats just life and for right now for you golf is just not part of it for any zillion reasons.

I hardly golfed at all for last 5 yrs prior to this season. And that was after I came off a year where I started shooting pretty consistantly in the 80's. So I had everything working pretty happily with my golf at the time but life with al its "going ons" for some strange reason for me just put it on the back burner. It will come back when it comes back. You can force yourself to go hit some balls or get on a course and maybe that will work but maybe it wont. When your ready, you'll know it. Could be tomorrow or may not be till next year. . Hey , "nothing wrong with you at all". I wouldnt worry. Good luck!

When everything is going wrong with your golf swing it's easier to walk away. Especially if you focus is on playing only good golf. All of us have our good days which of course are more fun than the hacker days, which are frustrating. If you can somehow learn to just enjoy being outside, away from other frustrating things in life and enjoy the company you're with, possibly a beautiful day, and all the beautiful scenery around, the crappy golf can lose it's step on the importance factor. Realize you are going to have bad shots in a round, play your shots to your strength by not attempting stuff you know you don't have skills to, and just let the bad stuff stay on the hole you finished.

I too have been in your shoes and my attitude and zest for the game was very low.
While I have been in the "Golf Industry" in one form or another for the better part of the last 30+ years of my life, there were times that I too, just didnt want to see a course, and thats OK.
So to reinvigorate my game I looked to the "Classics", I decided to play some rounds with my old Persimmon Woods and Forged Blades that I played with many years ago, and low and behold it re-light the passion for the game. I also revisited the time in golf history which I grew up in through reading about the players of my day (late 1960's through early 90's)
Ball striking came back to the fore front as the more important factor, and it drove me to work harder on my swing, and the quality of my shots versus just my score and it was just what the doctor ordered for my attitude and made me want to play again.
Worked for me, you may give Classic Golf a try too and see if it will relight the flames of your passion for this great game.

Everyone needs to recharge the batteries. Even the pros. Some of us in the northern part of the country and Canada have no choice but to rest and wait. Then, we're ready to start in the spring. Me, I'm going to learn to work on shaft changing, re-gripping and my putting WHEN I feel like it. Or not.

Dude, I totally understand what you're going through right now. Golf for me hasn't been the same since that same weekend. I think I've played once or twice since then. For me a lot of it has to do with work, kids, etc but I used to make/find time to get my fix. Now, I just don't have the desire it seems.

Life happens, dont beat yourself up for that. Just let it go for a bit and the desire will come back around. You'll attack the course with a new fire and passion when you're ready. I deal with the lulls sometimes by reading a book about golf, which was mentioned earlier. I just finished Zinger's book on the Ryder Cup and am working on a book about the War on the Shore.

I went through this about a year ago. Mine was related to a job change that didn't quite work out for me. Took 3 years off. I was lucky enough to get back to my old company and I got the interest back. I'm actually putting more in to my game and enjoying it a lot more. Sometimes breaks are good.

I have found myself in a similar situation. It has been a few weeks since I have been on the course. I am one who actually enjoys going to the range-I like to work on my game and it is much easier for me to get away for an hour or so at the range than a full round. But, it has been 2 weeks since I have even done that. Can't really explain it. Kind of got frustrated my last few rounds and I know that left a bad taste in my mouth. I should use that as fuel to want to get better (which I will to a certain extent) but this is a hobby and I'm not going to beat myself up over it, I already have enough things in my life raising my blood pressure. lol Besides, the fish are biting right now and it is almost deer season...only so many hours in the day!

Practiceee, as soon as you hit some flush the need for golf will come back!!!

Back