I admit it: I don’t know anything about bounce

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
I should have better knowledge in this area but I don’t. There are no good options for wedge fitting near me so I thought I’d ask THP!

I want a new 60 degree wedge with a razor sharp leading edge that sits flat on the ground and is easy to open the face.

Does this mean I need high or low bounce? And what kind of number are we talking? Is 10 degrees of bounce the razor I’m looking for or do I need more/less?

Thanks THP!

I had a zodia wedge that was just like that - I come in shallow and still stuck that leading edge in the ground - it was like playing with a knife. Got rid of it.

Those type of wedges are bad in the wet because they knife into the soil and are unforgiving.

What you are talking about is 4-6 degrees of bounce with heel and toe grinding and trailing edge relief. It's pretty dangerous.

My wedge game is fairly low capper.

If I were you, forget the knifed leading edge - get something like a Mizuno T22 X Grind with 6 of bounce, or Titleist L Grind with 4 of bounce. Those are fairly unforgiving grinds where you need to return all loft to the ball so you don't dig. I usually cut a little so I get some forgiveness.

I can't play with less than 7-8 of bounce and my 54-60 wedges, especially the 58-60 have lots of heel/toe, trailing edge relief with a rolled leading edge and I play in mostly dry and tight conditions.

What you may want is a wedge with a beveled leading edge which helps make the leading edge lay flatter on the ground

I have 8 deg of bounce but the effective bounce is less because of that beveled leading edge in my 55 and 59 and heel, toe, and trailing edge relief, that is moreso in the 59.

You want some bounce because it is forgiveness with ground interaction. It helps slide the wedge into the ball on slight mishits. Some people like Phil M like to slide the club.

You take away bounce by having the hands in front of the club face and not returning all loft to the ball. At address, my stock shot is hands about even with the club head and I come in with a U or shallow swing (not a V shaped angle of attack) with no lag and release all loft at impact.

Go to youtube and look at Stan Utley.

I play in a winter league at a driving range with Toptracer. I normally hit my 60deg pretty good on the regular course, but for some reason I couldn't hit it at the range off the mat. It took me one whole season to figure out it was because my 60 deg has 7 deg bounce. So the club would actually bounce off the mat and into the ball causing miss hits. Switched to a 10 deg bounce problem solved, back to hitting good 60 deg shots again.

Two of the great minds in golf, with MVrska and Roger Cleveland.

And here is another good one talking about how it’s measured and more.

I’m in the same boat. I went with the mid bounce on all my wedges strictly because I was unsure. I will probably do a wedge fitting next go around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@DaveGolfer15,

I can say this. Bounce and grind are not the same across each OEM. You can look at three different OEMs that have same, loft, lie, bounce and grind and they won't all look the same.

Bounce is easy to measure BUT some OEMs give you effective bounce, and even if they give you the measured bounce, that number is deceiving because heel, toe, trailing edge relief or a beveled leading edge decrease the actual bounce.

Example of beveled leading edge on an Artisan Wedge, which keeps the leading edge close to the ground at address.

Artisan 59 Sole Grind.jpg

Back