How's Your Handicap

How's Your Handicap

• Total voters
I just finished logging some dated scorecards into my fairway files account and it got me to thinking.

1. How many of you guys use a service, whether it be online or in a club, to keep up with a handicap?

2. If you don't do this, have you thought about it?

3. What else do you like about the services that you use? (I like fairway files b/c we have a group that a few of us THP'ers belong to so we can see each others scores/stats/etc.)

4. Do you think that it's important?

5. Do you think keeping a handicap is important overall?

6. What is your actual handicap?

Anyway, I started using fairwayfiles last year and really like it. If the course I'm playing is in the database it takes just a few minutes to log everything and if it's not in there, it's really easy to add it.

I love the statistics that it provides. I deduced that I needed to convert gir's into birdies so that will be a goal of mine in 2011.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here.

1. I'm in a men's club at a public course. Through them (and GHIN) I keep an official USGA handicap. It's required for tournament play.

2. N/A

3. I don't use the stat tracking that's available on the GHIN site.... just not that important to me.

4. Yes to maintaining a handicap - see #1.

5. How is this question different from #4?

6. It's currently the off season, but my ending index was 12.8

I just finished logging some dated scorecards into my fairway files account and it got me to thinking.

1. How many of you guys use a service, whether it be online or in a club, to keep up with a handicap?

3. What else do you like about the services that you use? (I like fairway files b/c we have a group that a few of us THP'ers belong to so we can see each others scores/stats/etc.)

Anyway, I started using fairwayfiles last year and really like it. If the course I'm playing is in the database it takes just a few minutes to log everything and if it's not in there, it's really easy to add it.

I love the statistics that it provides. I deduced that I needed to convert gir's into birdies so that will be a goal of mine in 2011.

1) I started using greenskeeper.org for my handicap but was forced this year to start using the club's computer for HDCP
3) I like greenskeeper because of all the stats it tracks. My home course one does as well but its too time consuming
4) Yes, for any events its important and I love how it's just a number to determine your skill level
6) When I was forced to keep a handicap this year at the club I entered all my scores from my greenskeeper account for the year and was given 5.6, this was because the computer has the actual ratings for the front and back 9's instead of spliting up the overal 18 rating like greenskeeper does, so it is lower. However my greenskeeper has 100's of scores that I could not input on the home computer and I am given a 5.9. For tournaments I have to submit my official one which is 5.6 but for my actual handicap I go by 5.9.

Hey TC, or anyone for that matter, the two sites I use, have my handicap different, only slightly but it is different (23.8 vs 24.1 ) . Any ideas why? I believe I entered everything the same on both sites.

i had that happen once and i noticed that one site didn't have the slope and rating correct for a few courses, that will throw it off

For me oob android app is both scorekeeper and handicap calculator. Only wish it tracked more stats.

TC, unless I am mistaken all handicaps are calculated the same way. So maybe FF isn't throwing out scores for your stats, but is throwing out scores for your handicap?

BTW-you sold me and I PM'd One-T to invite me to the group. Sounds fun.

If you enter your scores hole by hole, the site probably applies the ESC for you. If you enter a total score only you need to adjust. Not much to it, really.

'Cap of 9 or less No score higher than double bogey.
'Cap of 10-19 No score higher than 7.
'Cap of 20-29 No score higher than 8.
'Cap of 30-39 No score higher than 9.
'Cap of 40-+ No score higher than 10.

That's all there is to it. Keeps a couple blow up holes from raising your 'cap. Like a 12 on the 18th in a big match for instance.

Kevin

Bazinga!

Remember the computer only does it if you enter your score hole by hole. If you don't have a handicap just enter your scores until you have a enough for one to be calculated, then you have to apply the ESC. So if you're a 15, you enter that 12 as a 7 for handicap purposes. But it is 12 as far as your score goes. If you're playing a match and make a 12, you don't get to mark a 7 against your opponent. Your score for the hole is still 12. You lose the hole, unless you're playing TC, then you halve the hole.

You probably shouldn't brag in the bar with ESC adjusted scores. That 96 is not a 91 for bragging rights. LOL.

Kevin

Double Bazinga!

There's only one handicap system in Sweden, everyone uses it.

-
*shrug* It's cool to see where you're ranked within your age/sex/club etc.

No.
Yes, if you play a tournament/competition where your handicap is supposed to reflect your abilities, then absolutely. If not you may be putting yourself at an advantage/disadvantage. It's cheating if you show up with a higher handicap (and thus get more strokes) then you "really" have.
+1

i had that happen once and i noticed that one site didn't have the slope and rating correct for a few courses, that will throw it off

Thanks, I went back and checked and corrected the error, all is better now

Thanks, I went back and checked and corrected the error, all is better now

Yeah, make sure you double check the preloaded course ratings and slope ratings with your scorecard. It's a pretty common thing I've noticed.

Yeah, make sure you double check the preloaded course ratings and slope ratings with your scorecard. It's a pretty common thing I've noticed.

I must of rushed and entered one set of tees on one site and another on the other. I made the necessary changes.. all is equal now

Glad to know that I'm not the only husky lefty to ever grace the scorecard with a massive # when it counted. I've replayed that hole in my mind a thousand times. I wish I would've done things so much differently. I've had to hear about my shaky knees, my being glass joe, etc for a while now. It drives me to an extent, but we had a great time, and I couldn't have done it with a group of better guys than I did that day.

Not lefty, but the rest fits. The only time in my life I ever reached the 18th tee under par.... hooked my tee shot OB, made bogie with the second ball for a smooth triple. Ended up not even matching my lifetime best. Maybe the pressure got me??????? :dohanim:

Questions, when somebody says their handicap, is that a 9 hole or 18 hole number? Is a golfer who shoots a 50 on 9 hole par 36 course, a 14 or 28?

Questions, when somebody says their handicap, is that a 9 hole or 18 hole number? Is a golfer who shoots a 50 on 9 hole par 36 course, a 14 or 28?

Neither, unless the course rating and slope were exactly average, and even then the differential has to factor in a .96 multiplier. It also takes at least a 5 round sampling to get a starting handicap.... you don't get a true and reasonably accurate handicap until you have returned 20 scores. His 9 hole handicap index would probably work out closer to 12 or 13 if he averages 50. That index then has to be applied to a chart to determine his course handicap. Your handicap represents your scoring potential when playing well, not your average.

Most players carry an 18 hole handicap.

Official index's are based on 18 hole scores. You can play nine holes and post the score and it will be combined at some point when you play the other 9 holes. Good link; http://www.usga.org/Handicapping.aspx?id=7792

I use GHIN through my practice facility.

N/A

I can see what the HI is of my fellow members if I'm curious.

It give me a sense of where I stand when I'm competing.

Yes. It allows me to compete in tournaments and it gives me a sense of how my golf game is progressing overall.

13.2 at the end of last season.

There is a lot more to it than just subtracting par from your score...

From about.com;

Golf Handicap Calculation - Step 1
A minimum of five scores and a maximum of 20 is required to get started. Remember, when posting scores for handicaps, you must your adjusted gross scores. For each score, the USGA Course Rating and Slope Rating for the courses played are also required. Using those figures, calculate the handicap differential for each round entered using this formula:

(Score - Course Rating) x 113 / Slope Rating

For example, let's say the score is 85, the course rating 72.2, the slope 131. The formula would be (85 - 72.2) x 113 / 131.

This differential is calculated for each round entered.

(Note: The number 113 represents the slope rating of a golf course of average difficulty, as set by the USGA.)

Golf Handicap Calculation - Step 2
Figure out how many differentials are being used. Not every differential that results from Step 1 will be used in the next step. If only five rounds are entered, only the lowest differential will be used. If 20 rounds are entered, only the 10 lowest differentials are used. A chart at the bottom of this page shows how many differentials are used based on the number of rounds entered.

Golf Handicap Calculation - Step 3
Get an average of the differentials used by adding them together and dividing by the number used (i.e., if five differentials are used, add them up and divide by five).

Multiply the result by .96 (96-percent). Drop all the digits after the tenths (do not round off) and the result is handicap index.

I'm a little late in seeing this thread, but I use stracka.com to log all of my scores. I like the system because it's easy to find courses on there, and I can also track stats pretty well. I really need to work on my GIR and putting this year to get my scores down, based on my stats from last year. My handicap is what you see to the left of this post. I like keeping track of it because it gives me a good idea of whether I'm improving or not!

1. I use GHIN through my local club.
3. Haven't really looked into the other services, but you have me intrigued with fairway files. That sounds pretty cool to post stats where others in a group can see. Def going to google it in a few minutes.
4. Yes
5. I think every serious golfer should keep a handicap up to date. It's good to have if you play in tournaments or like gambling amongst friends or their friends. Your average once a month hacker probably doesn't need one.
6. 8.8 currently, but should be higher. Should be 10ish. Haven't been able to post any winter scores. Local course is supposed to start updating hcap services again next week for upcoming season.

I definitely want to start tracking stats from each round. I normally write down fw/gir/putts while playing, but toss the card when I am done. It's time to start entering them into a database so I can actually keep track of them throughout the season.

I am predicting 2011 is going to be a pretty good year for my golf. Played several rounds with a pga apprentice a couple of weeks ago and he gave me some good pointers. A couple of small fixes and I have been striking the ball very well here lately. Bunker game is coming around as well. I am going to be disappointed if my hcap isn't at 5 by september.

I've never had a handicap. This will be my 4th year playing the game and establishing a handicap is one of the things that I would like to do this year. I'll definitely have to check out fairway files.

Also now that I saw that thread about the Morgan Cup I now have a goal to get to an 18 so that if the tournament goes well and THP continues to do it I will have a shot to participate!!

This thread might just blow up now that Handicap is a prerequesite to get into the Morgan cup. I have the HC to get in but I want it to be much lower this year. I'm shooting to be a 8 or 9 this year.

This thread might just blow up now that Handicap is a prerequesite to get into the Morgan cup. I have the HC to get in but I want it to be much lower this year. I'm shooting to be a 8 or 9 this year.

Plenty of time to do that before the outing breeze. The lower your handicap the harder it is to get it down. I am only expecting to get into the 4's this year. If anything it will go up. I find between 15-10 is the easiest to bring down. Once your singles it gets harder.

So this fairway files business, if I'm on GHIN is there good reason for me to get in on that as well or not really? I think it would be cool to be a part of that group you guys have setup.

There is a THP group in OOB too. If there are more people using FF from THP I would be willing to make the switch

Plenty of time to do that before the outing breeze. The lower your handicap the harder it is to get it down. I am only expecting to get into the 4's this year. If anything it will go up. I find between 15-10 is the easiest to bring down. Once your singles it gets harder.

I totally understand how that is true. I've only been golfing a little under 2 years now and have been happy with my progress to get to a 13.8, if I can hit the big stick just a little better, the HC will go down.

I totally understand how that is true. I've only been golfing a little under 2 years now and have been happy with my progress to get to a 13.8, if I can hit the big stick just a little better, the HC will go down.

Fairways is a key factor. And wow that is really impressive for only 2 years. Great job!!

Back